Continental Top Contact II- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Continental Top Contact II

Does anyone have any experience with the Continental Top Contact II?
    How is the durability/flat protection? How is the ride of the two wider sizes? Is the sizing true to the labeling?

I'm wondering if
    a) the 42-622 size (I assume these are labeled 700x40) provide ample volume/cushiness on rough city streets such that there is no reason to go wider, and
    b) if the 47-622 size (700x45, I think?) are narrower than I might expect. The last Continentals I had were narrower than comparable brands for the stated width. Does that still hold for Contis?

mtbr member
    I have.

All dimensions given are measured on an Andra 30 rim with 19mm inner width.

a) yes it does. In addition I have the feeling that it is much higher than other 42mm tires.

b) "dunno" and "depends"

Dont know because I have only the 42mm. Depends on following, I have following experiences:
    Top Contact 622-42: correct in size and pretty high, so big volume in there.
    Wintercontact older version (without "premium") 622-42: see above
    Wintercontact premium 559-50: 45mm measured on 19mm inner width. Also high, so relatively big volume.
    Speedride 622-42: 41mm wide but much lower so much less volume. Also 2 rear tires in a row had a tirebead failure after 2500 / 1200 kilometers. No blowout, but a 10cm cut in the upper layer, making everything wobbly when riding, so more of a "blowout waiting to happen."
    Travelcontact 622-42: Now named Contact Travel, I see no other difference. Measured 37mm only and also very little volume.

Concerning flats: Dunno. and: Depends on your comparison. Compared to a thin road tire they are sturdy as hell, compared to the heavy Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour they are flimsy. I think they are somewhere in between
    I honestly cant tell because I ride all bikes with an extra tireliner like Proline AntiPlatt / Mr Tuffy.

Durability:
    Top Contact, Winter Contact and TravelContact are all very durable and will go halfway around the world if you treat them nicely (not like skidding, trails, stairs, etc) The Speedride not as durable but its very cheap and for the money, it does a good job if you are light and slim, which I am not...but you get what you pay for.

I know its more a novel than a posting, I hope it helps

mtbr member
    Many thanks, cyclingdutchman. That is good, detailed information; and I will be getting a pair of the 42-622 tires based on your feedback. I am looking forward to putting them on my bike and riding them!

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Nice to hear that. Please let us know afterwards how you like them ok ?

CU, CD

mtbr member
    I've had the 42-622 tires on the bike for 3 days now, and I feel I have achieved what I was after.
    On my rims (also 19mm inner width), the tires balloon to 42mm wide. I don't think they aren't particularly tall-- 38mm from rim to "crown," which matches the 38-622 tires I replaced. But the extra 4mm in width over the old tires, plus the supple rubber makes for a comfortable ride on our beat-up streets.
    The tires are rated for 50-85psi. When I first mounted them I pumped them up to 70 but immediately knew that was too much air. I dropped the pressure down to 60 for the first ride and it was pretty comfortable. I imagine in the past 3 days they have lost a little air, and today they were about perfect, comfort-wise. So I'll plan to run them in the mid-50s, pressure-wise.
    They roll fast even at a pressure that is at the bottom of the recommended range, and they are very grippy in cornering, too. I hope they turn out to be durable; they seem to be substantial.
    I do wonder just a little what the 47-622 tires would have been like, especially in the comfort department. I think they would have fit my Cross-Check without issue (My winter tires are wider yet at 29x1.9 but those balloon so large they hit the rear rack hardware so I have to take the rack off in the winter. I need the rack in the warmer months, though, for the baby seat.). I'm pretty sure the 47-622 tires would clear the rack hardware. They would probably roll a little slower, though, and having the 42's gives me a little more diversity in my tire collection.
    Overall, the 42-622 Continental Top Contact II is what I was looking for in a new set of tires. Thanks again for the reply to my inquiry, @cyclingdutchman!