Continental Road Tyres- Mtbr.com
    wyrd bi ful rd

Continental Road Tyres

Has anyone used the Ultra Sport or the Grand Prix 4 Season before? Looking to get the 700x28 ones ...

Ultra Sport
    http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticy...%20sport.shtml
    Grand Prix 4 Season
    http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticy...20season.shtml

Just wondering if the 4 Season is not as long lasting as the Ultra Sport, as it is mainly for wet or colder conditions ...

Thanks

Currently using the Sports Contact 700x37 and wondering how much narrower and lower volume is the 700x28s ...

I did not post this in the Wheels & Tyres forum as it is more commuting related and not MTB tyres ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm using the ultra sports on my road bike. I have the 700x23 and they are fast rolling and wear well.

PNW Tree Bouncer
    Jun 2009
    I used the 700x23c Gran Prix 4 (GP4) for a quite a while. Very lightweight, good grip, high TPI, low rolling resistance, good wear and cut resistance (puncture resistant). The bad for the GP4 is that they are expensive and the sidewalls are not as strong as I want for commuting. I would buy these again for my faster recreational road bike.

The Ultra Sport does not have puncture resistance and weighs a lot more than the GP4. I believe a commuting tire should have puncture resistance. However, I have not used them.

Currently I am using the Continental Gator Skins in 700x25c. The rolling resistance does not feel different. The increased weight is felt slightly when accelerating. Once I am going I can't feel the difference besides the TPI..these are stiffer. A bargain compared to the GP4. I would buy these again for commuting.

Before the GP4, I used the Continental City Ride in 700x37c. The comfort of these tires is unmatched because of the volume. However, they are VERY heavy and the extra weight is felt. The rolling resistance and aerodynamics are much worse as well because of the width. A good recreational tire. I put them on the wife's tooling around bike. Not a commuting tire in my opinion.

Hope that helps!
    Ray

jrm
    mtbr member

yeah and theyre expensive

I really like the GP 4 seasons but use them in only the 23 and 25c sizing. A good alternative tire is the panaracer tserv which is available in 25, 28 and 32. They also work ok in the dirt too.