Considering commuting by bike on occasion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Considering commuting by bike on occasion

I have about a 17 mile mild uphill rail trail commute to work. Unfortunately I would need to bring a laptop along. Is there a consensus whether the laptop go in front or back on a rack?

I have several front or rear options for racks on my 2015 ogre. Don't have a rack on it yet. I've always wanted a 24 pack rack for it, but I'm not sure if a laptop is okay there.

mtbr member
    Hm difficult case imho. So, a front rack might be ok if you have a suspension fork. Rigid fork would be to rough on the laptop I think. Rear rack also. So only option would be backpack but I wouldnt like to have a heavy backpack for 17m. Maybe the combination of a pannier and backpack would work? Backpack with laptop only, pannier for everything else.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Would an ice cream truck with Bud and Lou be a better choice?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ETChipotle View Post
    Would an ice cream truck with Bud and Lou be a better choice?
    LOL, wut?
    Oh, you're talking bike model! I was envisioning you commuting to work in an ice cream truck, making some extra money from the neighborhood kids on your way in. It would take a long time though.
    A fat bike doesn't strike me as a great commuter. The extra heavy wheels would be a bear to spin. I've seen some commuting, but they were e-bikes. And you don't want aggressive knobs for commuting unless necessary.
    I think a fat normal size slick/semi slick would be better, maybe around 2". Pad up the laptop with foam, laptops can take a fair amount of jarring I would think, as long as your not using it while riding! I'm not sure how much a diff front or rear will make, I think rear tends to take a little more jarring as you can't as easily actively avoid obstacles on road. 17mi is a pretty good distance, about twice my commute I do once a week. And what about rain? You'll want something quite waterproof, some kind of dry bag. Normal panniers will let water inside if you get caught in good rain.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Id love to not have to ride on shitty, congested city streets on my commute. Ultimately a rear pannier would be the best place for a laptop. When i rarely need to carry a chromebook I use a wald basket/bag along with clothes and such. Porteur racks look cool and work great but youll need to use a "gate" in order to keep things from shifting if youre bagging the laptop.