Conscientious of grocery pannier- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Conscientious of grocery pannier

Well, for a while now I've been commuting with my hybrid. It came with a rack but wouldn't fit my trunk bag because the railings were too narrow. I didn't have enough money for a pannier so I just used my backpack.

Truth be told, the backback was fine for me, but I couldn't stand having a sweaty back. When I try to take it easy on my low gear 28-28 on these hills, I go 5 mph spinning at 90 rpm and I still sweat, even at 8:30 in the morning.

I finally got some extra money to afford a grocery pannier at Performance with some leftover points.

I installed the grocery thing on my rack, and my backpack fits nicely. 1 problem though.

I don't mind having the extra drag, since the first part of my commute is mostly all hills, and I could always wear my backpack on the way back and fold down the pannier for less drag down the hills.

The problem is the stigma of having a grocery pannier on my damn bike. Maybe if I have another pannier it will kind of blend in? But for now, I'm afraid people will laugh at me or honk for having a box of mesh connected to my bike's rack. I'm no hipster fixie, and I'm not a fred, I don't just want a sweaty back.

weirdo
    Hmmmm... You could put a rainbow pride bumper sticker on the opposite side and probably no body will notice the pannier. Or maybe wear a sports jersey with the logo of your local team`s arch nemesis?

Don`t worry too much about it, HM. Sometimes cyclists have to do dorky things, but we`re all dorky together!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I just never thought about how I perceived the identity I'd create when I put on that pannier thing. I just needed something to help me function and conform to society (show up to class without a sweaty back).

Then again, I don't see anyone else with panniers at my college. I guess they all ride less than 4 miles or 20 minutes to class? I'm the only guy riding almost an hour for 10 miles?

I try to wear wicking materials like this cheap target champion shirts for like $10 bucks. They're great but I'm still sweaty on my back or simply smell a little weird.

weirdo
    I don`t blame you for not liking to ride with a bag on your back, but IMO you`re giving way too much thought to how you "conform to society" with your pannier. Worry about it if you want, but I bet you can find better issues to worry about if you put your mind to it.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    A new grocer is opening up less than 2 miles from my house and I have been pondering what would be the best setup for hauling groceries and to be completely honest with you, what others might think of the look hasn't really crossed my mind. What others think really ..... isn't worth worrying about. I was more worried about how much I could get onto my bike. And while I will probably use my rigid, it would actually be pretty cool to haul groceries on my RIP9.

However, if you are still self conscious and some spandex wearing roadie gives you a disparaging look, you could easily make yourself feel better by blowing past him while hauling a gallon of milk, some Cheerios, and some mac-n-cheese. Now that I would like to see.

mtbr member
    Paniers are sweet. The more practical the better, but if you are still concerned with the stigma you attached to paniers you can always strap a nice wire basket to the top of your rack. (Although, a basket might be a step in the wrong direction... I love baskets)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    My commuter is 'dressed' up with bags.. I need them to carry a change of clothes, to carry any groceries I bring home after work, and an assortment of other things (I am female, so I tend to be a bit of a packrat I guess). Who cares how others see you and your bike... I don't.
    '07 Marin Rift Zone
    '07 Ridley Orion
    KHS fixed gear
    Jamis Allegro 1.0

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You know I saw an odd looking guy on a folding bike with a motor, and like 4 baskets somehow... I thought what a wierdo. You know how much that affected him? He was happy doing his thing.

I get crap from all my coworkers for showing up sweaty, red and in shorts. Dont worry about it.

mtbr member
    It's all good guys, I'm over the stigma. Took me a couple hours, lol. The function and utility of just throwing my crap in the pannier is all too sweet. Besides, it's only on the commuter bike. Too bad I have no other bikes. lol

No-Brakes Cougar
    You're on a bike instead of driving a car, so you're already perceived as "some kind of environmental radical." I wouldn't worry about it, just as long as you're having fun. For commuting/utility cycling, function always takes precedence over form. Only hipsters are overly obsessed with form over function.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0