Confrontation whilst Commuting- Mtbr.com
    MN/WI

Confrontation whilst Commuting

Had a run in with a Colliers International employee this morning on my way to work. The Garmin Vibe (first gen) picks up a lot of road noise.

https://youtu.be/30WtKVP4Uj8
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hmmmmm. Tough call on this one.
    1. The road is huge, could ride around it.
    2. Chair on the grass will hurt no one, employee was just a douche being a douche.
    3. Call it in and see what the city says.

mtbr member
    I'm Sorry. What the feck happened? Someone told you to not move the chair off the highway? & he's behind a fence? In a truck yelling @ you? & you listened to him?

Sent from my silver iPad Air 1 in a http://www.red.org/en/ smart case using an app called Tapatalky

since 4/10/2009
    It doesn't matter where the stupid chair is, the city needs to be called. I agree with pushing it out of the bike lane, though. Screw the Colliers employee.

Belongs to someone at one of those trashy (rental?) houses across the street, for that matter. Could toss it in a yard over there. Could have tried to get him to help (good luck). Next to the mattress, possibly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    4. Move it onto the grass and ride off. You did your good Samaritan duty. The guy in the truck will have to come out and move it off the grass into the road.

CB of the East
    I would have just ridden around it. But if I had made the effort to stop and move it I would have followed through. The boundary line of their property probably isn't at the road anyway. You should have demanded a survey.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Confrontation means someone was in your face....

That was just comments from the peanut gallery.

MN/WI
    I did determine who the real estate agents associated with this property are and sent them an email with the link to the viddy. Both have replied with a "thanks for bringing this to our attention." So we'll see what happens.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    I would have moved it...and then tell the guy to go eff himself. If he came out, record him putting the chair back out in to the lane.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    ^ Unless there is a lot of traffic at other times, when a cyclist would have difficulty getting around it, I would have left it and called authorities.

In most jurisdictions that 3' or more beyond the curb is city property and part of the road right of way. I would have likely moved it anyway if I felt it had to be dealt with and told him it was still not on company property and looked just as much an eyesore as it did before but no longer a traffic hazard.

Couldn't navigate around it I guess.

Typically (depending on locale) the first few feed of ground past the pavement are city right of way (not really private property). While your city may be different, in mine, it's not their "property" to deny you access to. You might check into this. In the meantime, I'll call it in to the police (it appears to have come from across the street) as a hazard. At night that could cause a real injury depending on your speed and quality of your headlight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ride around it. Thats between the city and Collier!

mtbr member
    Life's too short. I'd have ignored in safe in the knowledge that one way or another it was unlikely to still be there the next time I passed.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^ Unless there is a lot of traffic at other times, when a cyclist would have difficulty getting around it, I would have left it and called authorities.

In most jurisdictions that 3' or more beyond the curb is city property and part of the road right of way. I would have likely moved it anyway if I felt it had to be dealt with and told him it was still not on company property and looked just as much an eyesore as it did before but no longer a traffic hazard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Typically (depending on locale) the first few feed of ground past the pavement are city right of way (not really private property). While your city may be different, in mine, it's not their "property" to deny you access to. You might check into this. In the meantime, I'll call it in to the police (it appears to have come from across the street) as a hazard. At night that could cause a real injury depending on your speed and quality of your headlight.
    I think the fact that the grass on the side of the road isn't owned by Collier is strongly suggested by the fact that A. there's a sidewalk between the bike lane and the fenced property, and B. the fence does not extend to the road

mtbr member
    I'd sue the $hit out of everybody, that must have been horrible for you.

mtbr member
    Yeah sorry but this is all just bull. The kinda guy who dumps an armchair in the street is hardly likely to be the kind of guy who will respond well if confronted about it. Trying to reason with a moron kinda makes you one. Everyone looses.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Yeah sorry but this is all just bull. The kinda guy who dumps an armchair in the street is hardly likely to be the kind of guy who will respond well if confronted about it. Trying to reason with a moron kinda makes you one. Everyone looses.
    I have to second what Mr. Pig typed.....

mtbr member
    Lighter fluid and a match would've sorted that puppy out ^^ what students do in my neck of the woods :flame-on:

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Ahh, couch burning parties....... that brings back a lot of happy memories.

EAT MORE GRIME
    sheesh

I would have ridden around it and just moved on.

I stopped shoveling sh** against the tide loooong ago

and [^^what MrPig said ]

mtbr member
    Round my way at least they dump them on the back roads. Some people are just plain retarded. You can dump this stuff at the council tip free of charge and there are still people who dump them on the back roads.

Formerly of Kent
    Round my way at least they dump them on the back roads. Some people are just plain retarded. You can dump this stuff at the council tip free of charge and there are still people who dump them on the back roads.
    I live in Blacksburg, VA.

There is a city dump, free of charge, 3 miles from my house. In the Jefferson National Forest, 2 miles from my house (in the same direction), I found no less 7 tires and over a dozen bags of trash (mostly recyclable material, of course) dumped in the woods over the course of a two week period last fall.

Like "Rolling Coal", I think that this is someone's way of getting back at "liberals", "environmentalists" and Obama. Or, just pure, unadulterated American laziness. Pick one, or both.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Like "Rolling Coal", I think that this is someone's way of getting back at "liberals", "environmentalists" and Obama. Or, just pure, unadulterated American laziness. Pick one, or both.
    These people are not bright enough to make statement, they are just retarded. It's the same here. You find all sorts of junk dumped on the back roads. It's a shame as the rubbish really can spoil some nice countryside. The council clean it up eventually but they are always a step behind.

The other thing you see is building rubbish. Businesses have to pay to deposit rubbish at the council tip so the cowboy tradesmen dump big piles of rubble and junk on the back roads. I've seen the road almost blocked. Years ago there was ceramic tiles dumped for about a mile! They'd obviously dropped the sides on the flat-bed and driven along the twisty road letting the rubbish fly out the sides.

Scumbags ..

Bedwards Of The West
    Around here we have trash, we have garbage, ...but we don't have rubbish

"Rubbish" makes it sound so sophisticated. I'm going to start using that word. Rubbish takes it up a notch.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    You don't have the word 'rubbish' in America?

Bedwards Of The West
    We have it, but we only use it when we're trying to sound like we're from England or Australia. I only use it at high volume, while rolling the "R", when I don't like something, as if I'm a spoiled monarch. RRRUBBISH!!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    ^ Rubbish!

NDD
    mtbr member
    I've been in a small, non-profit nature preserve where someone had cut a tree down at their house, drove it to the nature preserve parking lot, and dumped the tree about 100 yards into the preserve right off the trail. The reason I'm convinced that it's some kind of ignorant rednecked statement is that once the non-profit bought the land and started restoring the prairie (it's actually a relatively uncommon type of prairie for the area), then they couldn't use it as an ATV track anymore.
    dang

You don't have the word 'rubbish' in America?
    We do but we seldom use it as a noun. It's most commonly used to critique an idea (i.e. your theory about the value of 11-speed cassettes being better is rubbish), but even then it's rare in common speech.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Around here we have trash, we have garbage, ...but we don't have rubbish

"Rubbish" makes it sound so sophisticated. I'm going to start using that word. Rubbish takes it up a notch.
    TRUE !

way back when I was doing my first 'jobs' I drove a huge Michigan front end loader at a trash plant, pushing trash into a conveyor so it could be squeezed into large blocks and taken to a dump.

One co-worker one day said hey look at that incoming truck full of rubbish.

Wow, rubbish....took it up a notch.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    TRUE !

way back when I was doing my first 'jobs' I drove a huge Michigan front end loader at a trash plant, pushing trash into a conveyor so it could be squeezed into large blocks and taken to a dump.

One co-worker one day said hey look at that incoming truck full of rubbish.

Wow, rubbish....took it up a notch.
    What a crock of rubbish