The Confessional: I was that guy.- Mtbr.com
    NDD
    mtbr member

The Confessional: I was that guy.

A couple of weeks ago, I was that guy. I feel kinda bad about it.

I was driving at the time. Some guy that I've seen around the county only on a road bike and only in good weather was taking advantage of the 50-60 degree temps in January. He was biking on the roads on campus.

There are a lot of stop signs on campus. He ran every single one despite the fact that there was traffic. He even ran one where he had a stop sign and the people whose lane he cut into didn't (he rode on the shoulder but made a wide right turn, cutting into their lane).
    Look, I'm all about people riding bikes and commuting on bikes, but people who don't commute by bike can never realize how bad that bugs people who do because the next week when we're trying to get to work we're gonna be the ones getting flack for it.

I slowed down the car, rolled down the window and yelled "you missed a few stop signs there bud". The dude looked pretty pissed. I probably shouldn't have said anything.

I'm an ass.
    dang

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    No, you should totally say something.
    One bad example makes all those drivers think all cyclists are jerks.

In my area I actually find the commuters are bigger offenders of blowing stop signs and stop lights than the sport/competitive cyclists.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I just feel like a hypocrite, because I get bent outta shape when people yell stuff at me. In this situation, I was the guy who yelled some BS and drove away. If I had somehow stopped him and explained the whole situation I'd feel better about it. Instead he gets no discourse, not even context, just chided.

I think it's honestly everyone on a bike but me around here. I've been really buzzkill on a couple of group rides...
    dang

psycho cyclo addict
    Getting into a confrontation with someone about how they choose to ride a bicycle is unlikely to change their behavior. Sounds as though you trying to stop others from making broad generalizations about "all cyclists" which is also a losing proposition IMO.

I take the Darwinian approach. Let 'em determine their own fate/future and if road pizza is part of that, then so be it.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr Decade+
    My alma mater's campus was heavily policed, by campus police. Hopefully they get him/her. I think it boils down to not stereotyping. Most intelligent people know that in most segments of society there are knuckleheads.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    I think you did this because you are clinging to the idea that motorist aggression towards cyclists has some kind of root in bicyclist compliance with road laws.

That is to say, since we cannot prevent motorists from behaving aggressively towards us, maybe altering the way other guys ride bikes to undercut the motivation of the aggression is a softer target on the way to the same end.

The reason it won't work is because motorists dont care if you follow the rules or not, and they don't care whether that guy you saw follows the rules or not. They just want you both off the road so they can drive faster.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

NDD
    mtbr member
    Now that's some real stuff there.
    dang

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Most intelligent people know that in most segments of society there are knuckleheads.
    True. But note that this group has little overlap with the guys throwing a mixture of profanity and projectiles at me on my next road ride.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    True. But note that this group has little overlap with the guys throwing a mixture of profanity and projectiles at me on my next road ride.
    True (again). Sadly, however, people abusing cyclists are not the major worry, those head down in their smart phones are. Aside from physical assaults, and the threat of, I can take a little chirping. Being run over from behind, that's a real beotch!

In a funny story, aside from my bicycle commutes last year, I did one road ride, for pleasure. One confrontation - a pretty good one too! Hopefully, this year I do a few more road rides, with zero confrontations!
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

since 4/10/2009
    Guy was riding like a douche, true...but I agree with ghettocruiser on this one. It won't make a difference in the end.

Around here, it's a pretty mixed bag of who runs signs/lights and who doesn't. But it doesn't seem to be an overwhelming population of any sort of rider who blows through intersections. The shop road rides I know of are pretty strict about obeying signals, and where it's okay to ride aggressively and where it isn't, and the folks who organize them will ream riders who behave like idiots. So when someone chooses on an unofficial basis to be a positive example and stop for signals, while you'll still get idiots who blow them, quite a few people just follow the lead.

NDD
    mtbr member
    You're right. The best way to set an example is to be it. The only reason I felt bad is because I never wanted to be that guy. I think the guy was riding like a douche, but it doesn't matter.

I'd rather try and fail to talk to people than be the guy who yells while driving away. The fact that neither matters makes it suck more. Now I'm a guy who yells at cyclists even though it doesn't matter.
    dang

jrm
    mtbr member
    I dont "police" others for the way they're riding their bike. Ill just watch um ride like douches and when they eat shit ill be the guy who calls 911.

since 4/10/2009
    I was once walking to my mailbox and watched a guy blow a red light on his bike. I didn't say anything but gave him a slight glare. He responded by flipping me off and cussing at me. Some people are just a$$holes. Sometimes you don't have to do anything to set them off. Other times any minimal action on your part can do it. They will continue to be the same way, even if they survive a road pizza incident that is 100% their fault. They will find a way to blame the other guy.

mtbr member
    No one on a bike likes to be yelled at by anyone in a car. Better choice is to approach him as a fellow cyclist...

...we've all done things, often on impulse, that we later regret-I certainly have. Don't lose any sleep over it.