Complete Newb w/Rack Question....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Complete Newb w/Rack Question....

I want a rack on my hard tail to double my grocery carrying capacity over what I can get in the back pack. I see on my "racing" hard tail I have a threaded hole near either rear dropout, neither of which are occupied at the moment. I assume they are for a rack. I don't, however, have anywhere to attach a rack further up on the seat stays.

Short of one of those seat post clamp only deals, which look like a very bad idea, what should I be looking for? Where's a hybrid bolt on at the dropouts/clamp on at the seat post rack?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Here you go....

Universal Cycles has three models from Axiom, Delta, and Headleand http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...?category=3538 . All three attach at the drop outs and seat post. They are a good alternative if you don't have braze-ons on the seat stays to accomodate and "standard" pannier rack, and they have pretty much the same load limit, 45 to 50lbs, as most other racks.

There's no real problem with using a post mounted rack, I use one on my commuter. But you are limited to about half the load capacity, 25lbs for most seat post only mounted rack systems. The added conection at the dropouts gives more support to the system and thus higher load capacity.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Get a front mount basket to further increase the capacity, mount on, mount off

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/Topea...-pr-21657.html

May 2008
    I use a topeak os tubular rack with a u-lock holder. The rack is sturdy holds up to 55 lbs. plus the u lock slides under the rack pretty securely. I use the big mtx bag the dxp I think, it has the fold out panniers and expandable top. The bag is bomb proof, very durable and has tons of room. the Mtx system is kind of expensive I was a little resistant at first to spend that much money on a rack and bag; however I have been using it over a year now and I am glad I did. The bag can be taken on and off in a second and it is more secure than straps. I ended up buying a second one for my wifes bike also. Modernbike.com in Iowa has the best deals online for topeak bags. Also whatever rack you get remember this. Some of the racks say they are rated at up to 60-65lbs. The weakest part of any rack is not the rack itself, but the tiny bolts or allen screws that hold it on to the frame. Some good racks come with cheap hardware that will bust off with the slightest load on them, especially if you are off road.

Members who have read this thread: 0