commuting tire and off road- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

commuting tire and off road

Hey, Ill be moving to Austin this coming year and will be looking to commute hopefully to work. I will be using a mongoose switchback 26. I've been looking at tires for it but haven't fully wrapped my head around a good tire that will be good for commuting but will be able to handle a little off road ability. right now the main tires I have seen are the big apples, the serfas drifter, and the maxxis overdrive elite. will these work for what I want or are there any others that would be better.

Bike Geek
    I use the drifter for work....I would not trust it for off road use for lack of side knobs. I used to enjoy wtb graffiti tires for dual duty, but they are discontinued.
    RIP AL DAVIS

since 4/10/2009
    About all I'd trust the Drifter for would be some gravel riding or dirt roads. Not singletrack, and not rock (which is what Austin has aplenty).

If I was using the same tire for both, I'd buy a tire for singletrack and just commute on it. It'll wear out faster that way, but it's really the only way to get anything decent for the more challenging conditions you'll see.

My preference, though, is to use a separate bike for commuting. It's what I do now (and have for quite a number of years).

mtbr member
    I would move first and scout the routes, then buy something that fits the routes you found.

For the rest I agree with harold, take what suites the worst and accept the consequenses.

CB of the East
    I think you need to define what off-road is. Non-paved or singletrack. The big apples are great for road, gravel and surprisingly good on some trails. Not so great on soft or sandy terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Kenda makes some bigger, checkerboard type pattern tires for the pump track, works well for dual use. K-Rad I think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well I have three bikes, a mountain bike, street bike, and I was making a commuter bike to go to and from work. I was just looking in case on my way home or something if i came across a shortcut through a park or something to take it. Not sure what the area is so maybe I will wait til I get there to figure out what setup to make.