Commuting in Tampa, FL area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Commuting in Tampa, FL area?

Does anyone have any experiences that they would like to share? I'm transferring to Tampa this year and I would love to be able to continue to safely commute on my bike. I currently live in Germany and I've been extremely spoiled when it comes to being able to cycle everyone that Id like to go. Any first hand information that can be provided about cycling in the area would be greatly appreciated.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Moderator Moderator
    Disclaimer - I am not from Tampa & have never biked there!

On the plus side, you can get there quickly, because FL is flat!
    And you will no longer be extremely spoiled!
    And you can probably get a Cuban sandwich pretty conveniently on your ride.

On the minus side, there is a lot of traffic & big roads. There are some bikepaths, but I don't know if they go anywhere, if you know what I mean.

If you know your work address I would look at it on googlemaps satelite view to get a feel for it, and perhaps to help evaluate the biking prospects of where you might live.

I got stuck in Tampa after 9-11 because no planes were flying - finally ended up driving the biggest Uhaul truck they rent (my friend was moving north) all the way back to NY as I had to get back to work. The Tampa part of the trip was not even fun to drive, but of course I was just getting used to the big truck so that made it seem worse.

mtbr member
    I'm from Tampa area... Brandon actually.
    Do you know where you'll be living and where you'll be riding to?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm not exactly sure where I will be living yet, but I will be working on McDill AFB.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

local jackass
    the south tampa area i wouldnt think would be very safe they have very narrow roads but do have a few bike paths macdill shouldnt be to bad just for the fact that its a base and the rules are strict and it should have paths sorry i dont know to much but i personally wouldnt wanna ride in south tampa aside from being on bayshore
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm determined to commute by bike unless it is absolutely life threatening. It would be ashamed if I couldn't commute once I get to Tampa because In Germany I have to drive a few months out of the year because of icy road. I'm almost certain that the weather in Tampa would be nice enough for me to ride year round.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

local jackass
    I'm sure you can commute but you will have to pay more attention and maybe take a longer safer route you might post this in the fl section as someone there may ride in south tampa
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    I live in Brandon (just 10 miles east of Tampa) but before moving to this suburban hell I grew up in South Tampa (my father was stationed at MacDill before he retired).

If you live in the South Tampa area I think you will be fine commuting to MacDill. There are enough back roads that you can take to get you pretty close to the Dale Mabry entrance without having to actually ride a whole lot on Dale Mabry (a very dangerous road).

Are you looking to rent or buy?
    Last edited by A1an; 02-10-2010 at 01:15 PM.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm looking to buy. It is a good chance that this will be my last duty station before retiring from the military.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Members who have read this thread: 0