Commuting Shoes - wear all day?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Commuting Shoes - wear all day?

I'm lucky enough to have a casual attire work environment - jeans and T's. That said I still have to change shoes when I get to work as I'm riding an old mtb converted to commuting - and I still want to use my SPDs.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a SPD shoe that looks like a casual sneaker that is walkable/wearable all day?

My shoes I wear when riding are obvious bike shoes so they'd 1) look odd and 2) the cleat is higher than the sole of the shoe so you can't walk normally and not to mention the tap dancing sound they make on hard surfaces (which is most of my workplace).

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I've done some looking around for a casual SPD shoe... Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but something along these lines seems good. I've had some experience with other chrome shoes, and like them... so if these aren't overly stiff they could be good.

Truk Pro Bike Shoe - Tough Kicks | Chrome Industries

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    I've done some looking around for a casual SPD shoe... Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but something along these lines seems good. I've had some experience with other chrome shoes, and like them... so if these aren't overly stiff they could be good.

Truk Pro Bike Shoe - Tough Kicks | Chrome Industries
    Humm those look like a good option - at least based on reviews.

My biggest concern is the flexibility and ability to have the cleat tucked into the sole so you can walk without a bunch of noise from them hitting the ground.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    Humm those look like a good option - at least based on reviews.

My biggest concern is the flexibility and ability to have the cleat tucked into the sole so you can walk without a bunch of noise from them hitting the ground.
    Yeah I hear that! I was pondering about your situation a bit last night, and had some thoughts. My guess would be that you'll try out a nice "crossover" work/cycling shoe, and still go back to leaving normal shoes at the office/riding with cycling shoes. Seems like that way you would have more comfortable working shoes, and better biking shoes. Any kind of crossover shoe is gonna be worse on the bike, and worse for walking.

I was thinking about those Chrome shoes more for riding around town, and hitting some restaurants/coffee shops/breweries. When it comes to work (I stand all day) it just makes sense to have a really comfy normal shoe.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I have a pair of the Kursk Pro SPD shoes and they are NOT comfortable to walk in/stand all day after riding. In fact, they are not that comfortable to ride in either. The cleat is recessed almost enough, but it still makes a bit of noise depending on what you are walking on. You also have to be careful because it causes the shoe to be a bit slippery on some surfaces.

Can you just leave a pair of normal shoes at work to change over to?
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Pearl Izzumi X-alp. They are definitely not the stiffest/most efficient cycling shoe, but they are very comfortable on and off the bike. I'm wearing mine at my desk right now.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I'd tell you to just stick to a set of shoes you have at work and a set of shoes you ride in. I work in a casual environment myself and commute on a set of five ten ascent sneakers, they look like an average sneaker. I still change shoes when I get to work, feels good to swap on a set of new shoes, especially when I get it after a rain.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I'd tell you to just stick to a set of shoes you have at work and a set of shoes you ride in... I still change shoes when I get to work, feels good to swap on a set of new shoes, especially when I get it after a rain.
    Me, too.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Keen's are pretty comfortable.

Men's Commuter IV Bike Sandal | KEEN Footwear

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    I'm waiting for that forum know it all to come in and spout on endlessly with his words of wisdom on this subject. You know who I mean. Just wait, he'll be here any second. The guy never shuts up.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

mtbr member
    Giro Rumble.

mtbr member
    No way I'd want to walk around on SPDs all day. I'd do one of two things.

Use Power Grips instead of clipless. Not quite the same as clipless but still very good and you can wear any shoes you like with them. A real bonus in the winter.

Or just leave a change of shoe at work. That's a good idea anyway in case it rains and your feet get soaked. A pair of socks to go with them to.

Commuting Shoes - wear all day?-powergrips-pedal-straps-00120405-9999-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    sometimes you have to be creative, but it's almost always possible to find a place for your work shoes.
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!