Commuting saddle opinions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Commuting saddle opinions?

Well, first let me state that I'm a rather athletic man in the early 20's and I push to cruise at 20mph on a 26x1.5 tire'd mtb (though usually falling in the high teens unless I have a good tail wind).

So the Bontrager Select crunched today when I was playing around on my Tass (kicked out of the pedals and came down on it hard). I should have no problem getting it warrantied, but its time to upgrade. Temporarily running my buddy's Cloud 9 split saddle (dont know the exact model). Seems pretty good, but I'm definately not keeping it. THe bontrager was nice, but maybe a little narrow. Like I said, I ride mostly pretty hard, but sometimes I do kick back.

Has anybody tried the new Bontrager Inform saddles? I might go that route...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a wtb rocket V on my bikes

some are pricey, but the last one i got was from a $10 seat bucket at the lbs

love it

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    If your commuting alot I would stay away from pricey leather saddles, I'm sure there awesome but when it gets wet out you could ruin your saddle. Thats whats held me from getting a nicer saddle.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

Unfortunately, a saddle choice is a very individual thing ...... a very perssonal thing, as everyone is built different/weights different/rides different/etc different.....with that said, I'm still getting regular use from my Bonty FS2000 saddle that came on my'01 Fuel 90...fits my arse like a glove, better than any seat I've had over all these decades...go figure, as there are morethan few folks who will dismiss them as junk...but, hey, go with what works. Ymmv, as always...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spcarter
    If your commuting alot I would stay away from pricey leather saddles, I'm sure there awesome but when it gets wet out you could ruin your saddle. Thats whats held me from getting a nicer saddle.
    I run a Brooks leather saddle year round here in Portland, Oregon and haven't had any issues with water. I treat it with Obenauf's saddle goop (from rivbike.com) every year or so. I also use a cover, just to be sure. My saddle has thousands of winter miles on it and looks brand new. I figure if it was made in England they thought about the effects of muck & rain.

Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by superjohnny
    I run a Brooks leather saddle year round here in Portland, Oregon and haven't had any issues with water. I treat it with Obenauf's saddle goop (from rivbike.com) every year or so. I also use a cover, just to be sure. My saddle has thousands of winter miles on it and looks brand new. I figure if it was made in England they thought about the effects of muck & rain.

I've heard really good things about Brooks. Once I get some coin together for a true commuter, I might have to pick one up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    serfas rx, low cost, non vasectomizing?

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    When the time is right a Brooks will adorn my Surly, but until then WTB speed V does the job.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

Ovaries on the Outside
    All I know is my Selle San Marco Ponza that came standard taint right. Get a brooks and then convince me to do the same.

mtbr member
    go for brooks, i rode my buds for a week a top his redline. best week ever.
    "If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice."

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I used a Serfas RX for well over a year (about 3000 miles)...loved it. Built a new bike over this past winter and put a Brooks Champion flyer on it. (The one with springs). I have a few hundred miles on it and am loving it. Break in period was a little hard on the crotch, but that is over now and it is fantastic. The old Serfas fabric was starting to show some signs of wear. I think the Brooks is a LIFETIME saddle that will continue to get better with age.

Jul 2007
    I use a basic brooks B-17. If I get another saddle it will just be a more expensive version of the B-17. I like it alot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ended up going with a Bontrager Race Lux (yeah baby, ti rails). Over kill, maybe. But it sure is comfy!

Members who have read this thread: 0