Commuting, how much would you pay for parking etc?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Commuting, how much would you pay for parking etc?

For those who commute...
    I work at a YMCA and we are thinking of developing a commuter membership program. What this would include would be a secure parking space for your bike (in covered garage, security accessed bike cage, use your lock inside), access to showers and lockers(from 5:30am to 10pm), and available towel service. Car parking in the area costs $10 per day or $40-60 per month and a full service membership (access to fitness facilities, pool, etc) would run $50-72/month. Secure bike parking is also next to non existent downtown.

What would something like this be worth to you?

Clee

mtbr member
    How much is a monthly bus pass in your area?

mtbr member
    Nothing. I guess I'm lucky to have had jobs where I can park my bike inside the building. If I had to part outside, I'd get a beater commuter. Can you get theft insurance on a bike?

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Crunchatize me Capn'
    Are bikes generally messed around with/stolen?

Probably drunk right now

Cool Plan

As you and Ka Jun have identified, your competition is both cars and public transportation. I suspect that public transportation is your biggest competitor from a cost standpoint. So when you figure out the monthly costs for that, you'll know what your target price point will fall in around.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    for me, i keep my bike in my cubicle or the spare storage cubicle next to me. if i didn't have that as an option, our bike racks outside the building is in a pretty safe area and i worry more about bird poop than getting stolen. HOWEVER.....

if i worked in downtown major urban city and was worried about theft, i'd pay maybe $20 a month. if i lived far enough away that i'd need a shower, i'd prolly take public transportation.

mtbr member
    Transit passes run about $80/month and our transit system is generally pretty bad, servicing some areas only once an hour. Bikes are generally not messed around with, but that could be because they aren't generally used due to an almost complete lack of bike parking (working on that too), there is a fair amount for general vandalism.

mtbr member
    I think you've almost figured out the answer yourself!

"car parking in the area costs...$60 per month"
    - how large of a bike cage do you think you will need? (equivalent to roughly how many parking stalls?)
    - how many people do you think will be using it in a month? (guess conservatively)

Personally, I think I would spend at most ~$10/month.

Currently, I get free underground parking for my commuter. The building management put up a row of hooks along one wall (had to sacrifice a total of two parking spots) which could accomodate about 20 - 30 bikes if they were packed in there. There is no cage surrounding the hooks, but access to the underground lot is via a card-reader as it is a private lot. There's also a shower room I get free access to!

My company owns several buildings in my downtown though, and if I was working at the other location I would be paying $60 / year for keyed access to a bike cage in a public lot (with racks to lock your bike to). Also has a shower room in the building which I would get access to.

bi-winning
    It would have to be a fraction of what it costs to park the car, to encourage people to use their bikes.

Personally, I say 30-45% of the car parking fee.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    You would think in this day and age of environmental awareness there would be some kind of tax credits for bike commuters and companies that support green transportation, that would eliminate or totally offset the cost of setting up safe bike parking.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Double-metric mtb man
    Based on a similar program here when I was in University (campus was known for thefts and vandalism of bikes), somewhere around the $20/mo mark will be accepted and well used.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Probably drunk right now

There you go....

Quote Originally Posted by rocks'r'friends
    Transit passes run about $80/month and our transit system is generally pretty bad, servicing some areas only once an hour. Bikes are generally not messed around with, but that could be because they aren't generally used due to an almost complete lack of bike parking (working on that too), there is a fair amount for general vandalism.
    So your major price competition is car parking. So half of the parking cost? $20-$30/month? A dollar a day to have a secure place to park and a shower seems like a pretty good deal, to me. I guess it depends on how far someone has to walk after they park.

dh1
    mtbr member
    http://www.cycle-safe.com/CycleLockers.tab.aspx

I have always liked the idea of a bike locker. I think any employer or landlord that had this setup would get a lot more cyclists for employees/tenants. If my gym had these I would ride there to workout. I also think it would be good for urban employers to offer similar service...or even commercial parking facilities.

mikeb
    fifteen to twenty dollars a month maybe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Our downtown YMCA provided some portable bike locker all enclosed things.
    they cost around a buck to use.
    they lasted about 3 months. I just parked my bike inside as I was already a member.

I think you guys are onto something with your idea.
    You say that no one bike commutes now,
    I don't think charging people money to change their habits to bike commute will be very effective.
    I think offering free bike parking to bike commuters might open the door to new members. Then you can gauge what those commuters might be willing to spend for extra services.

Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by elvez
    Our downtown YMCA provided some portable bike locker all enclosed things.
    they cost around a buck to use.
    they lasted about 3 months.
    Lasted three months because they got smashed up or because they were taken away due to lack of use?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A dollar a day. So $20/mo. This is only if it was in an area where theft is common and I would be concerned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Due to non use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    It would have to be a fraction of what it costs to park the car, to encourage people to use their bikes.

Personally, I say 30-45% of the car parking fee.

In NYC that would equate to about $200/month

Feb 2008
    It sounds like a good idea to me.

All That is Man
    I don't know about the bike lockers (I keep my bike in my office), but the shower service would be nice. I pay $38/month at the YMCA to just take a shower three times a week when I commute.
    John

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    For secure bike storage, a day locker and showers (and throw in towel service), I would say no more than $20/month. When I worked in the downtown core, I always wished places offered this (maybe some did, but I didn't find any).

I (as in my company) used to have to pay $100/year to the building I worked in just for a spot in the bike cage down in the parkade, so add day lockers and a shower, and $20 sounds pretty good. Any more, and I don't think people would go for it.

Sounds like a good idea though.

Members who have read this thread: 0