Commuting Helmets- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Commuting Helmets

I haven't been able to find much discussion about commuting helmets.

Perhaps there isn't a holy grail of commuting bike helmets, but I'd love to hear some positive experiences.

My current helmet really leaves tracks in my hair that can be a pain to fix at work sometimes; it could also do with a little better ventilation. Anyone know of a good non-helmet-hair helmet?

Moderator Moderator
    I don't think they have invented such a thing as an anti-helmet-hair helmet, you might have better luck with an anti-helmet hair haircut. Something you can just run your fingers through with a little water if needed - or maybe I just have a higher tolerance for un-perfect hair.

For a cooler helmet, look for venting, lighter weight, and a lighter color helps too.

I use a MTB helmet, I like the visor for rain and oncoming headlights. A bright or white color would help your commuter visibility, I don't know if any come in those fluorescent yellow/greens like jackets do.

Swedetarded
    Shave your head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The only specific commuter helmet I'm aware of: "Procraft CO:MUTE". Reminds me of Star Wars. Probably does not help with your hair issue, though.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

hair

I've noticed when I wear a helmet liner my hair doesn't get the vent patterns.

Examples of liners: Pace and halo for warmer days. Great for not getting sunburned. The Halo does keep sweat out of my eyes no matter how humid, but does leave an impression in your forehead for a bit, (it is not tight). I mainly use the halo for mt biking, not commuting.

slightly thicker riding cap for temps below 40F. I use an REI Novara thermal tech beanie.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have two helmets one for summer a Bell MTB helmet...

I also have a winter helmet...it has less air flow and ear covers...also a Bell...

My head fits Bells

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I wear a bandana under my helmet and never have a problem with helmet lines through my hair...
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

Bedwards Of The West
    I have short hair, and I wear a very thin beanie when I ride to work. Basically a helmet liner. This basically elminates 'helmet head' for me. The beanie prevents the ridges from forming

I have a 'bell' shaped head too. My commuter helmet is a Bell Metro. It's a little lower in the back than most MTB helmets, and is a little heavier than an MTB helmet. It has a strap on the back where I can hang my Superflash taillight, if I jump on a bike with no mount on the seatpost. This has been a great helmet and I'll get another one, or whatever the new model of this one is called... It's got snaps on it, apparently for an aftermarket rain cover or something that they make, but I've never looked into it.

I've been a Bell fan ever since I crashed pretty hard and broke one... any good helmet will protect you, but my Bell kept me out of the hospital, so I'm loyal now

Oh, I also have a Scott snowboarding helmet that I wear in the cold part of winter... it's got the ear flaps and virtually no vents. Much warmer than a 'bike' helmet, and meets the same safety standards from what I've read.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

jrm
    mtbr member

i just bought a 2nd hair brush

But i do need a new helmet

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cycling caps help with the hair somewhat. The thin summer ones from Walz are nice.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    The Bell Volt appears to provide plenty of ventilation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quax View Post
    The only specific commuter helmet I'm aware of: "Procraft CO:MUTE". Reminds me of Star Wars. Probably does not help with your hair issue, though.
    I like the screens on this helmet - for whatever reason I've been stung twice while commuting in less than a year by bees flying into my air vents? I've been mountain biking for 20 years and never been stung on the trail? it really sucks too because I'm allergic to the the suckers and have to carry an epi shot.
    Without rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other. Red Foreman - That 70's show.

since 4/10/2009
    the screens on the vents are nice..but why's it gotta look like a storm trooper helmet?

I just wear the same Giro that I use on the mtb. However, I have it decked out in so many reflective stickers for commuting that I'm thinking I'd be better off getting a new mtb helmet and then just having one for mtb and one for commuting so I don't have to deal with mirrors on the trail, or getting laughed at for my reflective stickers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson View Post
    I've noticed when I wear a helmet liner my hair doesn't get the vent patterns.
    a cheap doorag helped with my motorcycle helmets.

before i shaved my head.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Cycling caps help with the hair somewhat. The thin summer ones from Walz are nice.
    This. At least, the first part. I don't know Walz hats specifically.

I also have a fleece cycling cap with ear flaps that I wear in the winter.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Oh, you're looking for a hairmet, not a helmet:

Scrubs 'Hairmet' - YouTube

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ubernerd View Post
    Oh, you're looking for a hairmet, not a helmet
    Oh my, that was hilarious, and actually not that terrible of an idea either.

Posted w/ Tapatalk via Android

Members who have read this thread: 0