Commuting with a full suspension?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Commuting with a full suspension?

I am thinking of upgrading from my Rockhopper to a full suspension. I commute to work with my HT but how would it be on a FS? Thanks!

Mike

mtbr member
    I ride to my office on a Cannondale Prophet from time to time. It's not bad since I can take a few fun detours along the way.. If you want to have a good FS and don't want to wear out the tires and stuff on it, just go to a yard sale and grab an old road bike to commute with, which is what I normally use.

mtbr member
    Thats not a bad idea, but I was hoping to not have 2 bikes, it would upset the wife! My commute is 4 miles each way.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix
    I am thinking of upgrading from my Rockhopper to a full suspension. I commute to work with my HT but how would it be on a FS? Thanks!

Mike

I commute everyday on an FS bike.....winter summer....works just fine thanks...

This year I bought another wheelset, I swtich from knobbies to slicks in 5 minutes now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    I commute everyday on an FS bike.....winter summer....works just fine thanks...

This year I bought another wheelset, I swtich from knobbies to slicks in 5 minutes now.

That might be what I should do. Another wheel set, thanks!!!!!!

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Thats not a bad idea, but I was hoping to not have 2 bikes, it would upset the wife! My commute is 4 miles each way.
    I see a problem here and is not having 2 bikes nor commuting 4 miles each way!

J/K

As others said, you can do it...It would be nice to have a full time commuter though...I converted my Trek 4500 into a full rigid commuter and I love it, but the wife is into biking ....she even let me put our three bikes on the living room! ( as much as she likes riding, that wasn't an easy decision for her )

mtbr member
    I wonder if I should make my RockHopper my commuter. But I wanted to trade it in so I am not dumping as much money into a new bike. I hate having to keep switching my seat post over (I have a rack mounted to my seat post) and whatever else I have to switch over. But then I am spending twice as much on 2 bikes instead of one!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    The wife said NO to two bikes, WTF!!!!!

I guess a FS with another wheel set for road tires

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    well...give her two months then play "the geometry of this bike is not for road use, my back hurts" and see what happens...if that doesn't work buy the set of wheels!

Ohhh and you still have the Foldie card!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    well...give her two months then play "the geometry of this bike is not for road use, my back hurts" and see what happens...if that doesn't work buy the set of wheels!

Ohhh and you still have the Foldie card!

The "my back hurts" card won't do ****. MAYBE you could pull off the "it isn't safe on the road..."???

mtbr member
    I've been thinking, why start listening to the wife now. Ha ha

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've been thinking, why start listening to the wife now. Ha ha

Cause she will end up with 3 bikes and you will finally get your garage sale pos commuter.

mtbr member
    Hm, I remember when my wife got all upset about me buying another bike without her consent.

I let her rant and get all upset and I apologized.

But in the end, I told her very firmly that I bought it with money I saved up. And it's not like I went gambling or went on a drinking binge or cheated with another woman.

I bought a bicycle!

A hobby to keep me sane and stay in shape.
    Just get out and ride!

Ovaries on the Outside
    After reading this thread, I'm calling off my wedding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    After reading this thread, I'm calling off my wedding.
    Smart man! j/k. I went through all of this with the wife. The secret is figuring out how make her as big of a bike addict as you!

mtbr member
    The wife said NO to two bikes, WTF!!!!!

I guess a FS with another wheel set for road tires
    You could probably get a half-decent used commuter for less than the price of a new (or even used) wheelset.

My Brain Hurts!
    Oh Lordy, Lord! Cannot upset the wife with you having 2 bikes!

Seriously, the deeper I get into biking the more I want a different bike for different applications...yes one can do much on just one bike, but it is just as easy to have a commuter, a road bike, a mtb etc..

One guy I ride with has a Trek Madone and one of Treks FS mountain bikes. On the FS he has 2 wheel sets. One that was meant for the bike with knobbies and one with 100 psi slicks for road riding. He rides that one most often on our local bike shops Thursday night 15k. And since the roads in the county suck buckets, he has the most comfy ride and matches anyone's speeds.

Maybe you should look into the option of a second wheel set on the FS. Hellova lot cheaper than a 2nd bike....and I am not the first to mention it.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by traffic002
    Hm, I remember when my wife got all upset about me buying another bike without her consent.

I let her rant and get all upset and I apologized.

But in the end, I told her very firmly that I bought it with money I saved up. And it's not like I went gambling or went on a drinking binge or cheated with another woman.

I bought a bicycle!

A hobby to keep me sane and stay in shape.

I like that, that's a good one

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    go buy it-- you will have to deal with the lashing but in the end you will still have the bike

mtbr member
    second bike,second wheelset or......second wife, decisions decisions.....lol

mtbr member
    4 miles? Just do it - it won't kill you. Yes, you'd be marginally faster on a road bike, but so what?

mtbr member
    I ended up keeping my HT. But i would commute with a FS if I had one. Thanks.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Damn, am I glad I'm already divorced!

My back demands I ride FS; my HT beat me to death inside of 5 miles, no matter what.

More than one bike, though, seems like infidelity to me.....................

Members who have read this thread: 2