Commuting checklist....

Printable View

• 05-05-2008
    coachjon
    Commuting checklist....
    Soooo next week I am going to start riding to work. It is 10 miles one way to the school i teach at and I have access to a locker and shower which will make it way easier. Planning on leaving my dress shoes in there along with some other stuff (see list below). Just wondering if there is anything else I should bring along? Stuff I missed or other tricks and tips would be sweet too:)

Commuting Checklist:
    Stuff I have:
    Messenger bag
    Bike and all that stuff

Still need to get:
    LED headlight, it is usually pretty bright by the time I plan to set out
    Blinkey light for the back
    3M Reflective tape for my bike/helmet

At School-
    Shampoo/soap
    Deodorant
    Towels
    Dress Shoes
    Clothes for track practice

What else should I have ready to go? Thanks for the help!:thumbsup:

ps: 300th post! WOOT
  • 05-05-2008
    froggyrider
    I am female, so I carry a whistle and pepper spray. I have bike tools- quick links, tube, cO2 and c02 pump, regular pump, cash as I go by a million quickie stops. My cell phone is always on. I have two blinky lights and front lights, Nite Riders, so see and be seen.

I wear a rear view mirror on my bike glasses. I carry my clothes in my camel bak- no bladder, and one water bottle. I have one lightweight lock I carry as well.

I can shower at work as well, so I leave two pairs of dress shoes in a locker and I can leave them where I lock up my bike. I am hungry when I get to the gym, so I have a box of granola bars and water. Then, when I get to my office, I can make coffee and oatmeal.

I leave a complete set of extra clothing in the locker in case I forget my undies... or a shirt or whatever...

I keep tylenol and electrolyte pills in my desk to have at 5 pm before I leave if I feel fatigued. My commute is longer- 24 miles one way. So, I am stocked well so I can actually be productive at work during the day. I love it and wish I could do it every day, but if there is lots of wind( more than 15 MPH) or 50% or more chance of rain, all bets are off. Oh, and it needs to be 35 degrees or more when I leave or it will be too uncomfortable.

On days I drive in, I bring in lunches pre packed/ homemade- pasta, salads, and such.

Hope this helps. I have make up and tampons in my locker as well, but I don't know if you need to stock those- I assume you are male?
  • 05-05-2008
    athalliah
    Hey froggy- have you actually had incident where you feel vulnerable while riding? I have commuted for years and not felt the need for pepper spray. Granted when I was bartending downtown and was walking home late at night that was another story - but that's walking.

To the OP- I keep pants at work; I find just carrying a shirt to be far easier. I started this when I was only commuting with a mule in the winter; too much to carry and not enough places to put it. I carry lunch with me on my ride and an apple or some sort of quick sugar for my post-ride (15mi each way). Like froggy, I've a coffee maker and oatmeal at work.
  • 05-06-2008
    coachjon
    a dude i am:)

thanks for the tips. all really good ideas! i can't wait to get out. I will be able to double my weekly miles by commuting.
  • 05-06-2008
    MB1
    You are overthinking this one.

Store a days worth of clothing and a spare tube and tire at work as backup in case you forget something or have an incident on the way in.

Then just ride, it ain't that hard.

BTW where do you plan to park your bike? Leave a lock there, don't carry it.
  • 05-06-2008
    Fuelish
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MB1
    Y Leave a lock there, don't carry it.

Good advice, there.... carrying a stout lock is just carrying dead weight. Leave it where you lock it (if possible)
  • 05-06-2008
    nachomc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MB1
    You are overthinking this one.

Store a days worth of clothing and a spare tube and tire at work as backup in case you forget something or have an incident on the way in.

Then just ride, it ain't that hard.

Agreed. I keep a stack of tubes and my lock at my desk. We also have lockers so I keep clothes here. I try to make it so I don't have to carry anything on my way in.
  • 05-06-2008
    coachjon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MB1

i get to bring it into my classroom:)
  • 05-06-2008
    Squash
    I agree with....
    MB1, don't over analyze. The only glaring omission that I can see is the "support gear", i.e. a couple of tubes, CO2 inflator or pump (both if you are a belt and suspenders type), chain tool, and a couple of SRAM Power Links for quick chain repair. If you run into a mechanical that requires anything more than that, you'll likely have to call for back up anyway.

Other than that, keep the bike in top shape, tuned, lubed, and clean. Don't take chances, if you think you have a problem you probably do, so fix it. Whether you take it to a shop or DIY, don't delay even one day getting a small problem fixed. Small problems have a nasty habit of becoming big problems at the worst possible time.

Have fun and enjoy. :thumbsup:

Good Dirt
  • 05-06-2008
    froggyrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by athalliah
    Hey froggy- have you actually had incident where you feel vulnerable while riding?

Not yet, but I ride through a variety of 'hoods... and i ahve heard horro stories. I don't ride scared, just prepared. I am also a MTB patroller, so I try to be extra prepared. I am ok wearing the bumper snugglers in to work as it is at the crack of dawn, but I wear shells over my shorts on the way home so I am not stuck at a red light with my tighties bearing down on the cars lined up behind me.
  • 05-07-2008
    coachjon
    ya, anytime i set out i have my bike repair gear, i was just looking for clever suggestions to make things more efficient:)

thanks for all the tips
  • 05-07-2008
    umarth
    I think it is too complicated. I never bring repair gear on the commute (though mine is only four miles each way.) because it extra weight and a pain in the ass. I had two flats in the last year- one time I called my roommate and he picked me up to take me home and the other time I walked the mile home and took the motorcycle instead. That is what the cell phone is for. Checking tires for debris, proper psi and having good commuting tires make a huge difference. Though, now that I've said this I'll get a flat.

I have a blinky on the front and rear and a petzl headlamp that I can strap to the handlebars or seatpost if a blinky is low on juice, though I typically have extra batteries in my bag.

I think everyone has good advice- I just run with as little as possible most of the time. Have a good time with the commute and congrats on 300. w00t.