Commuting again. Now at night- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Commuting again. Now at night

Well I dunno if I should even call it a commute. My ride to work is roughly 5 min, exactly one mile, if I take the main road. But, I have this awesome park that basically makes my ride to work even shorter, just imagine putting a pin on a map at point a and b and draw a straight line, that's what this park does for me.

Anyway I test rode the distance his afternoon and it took exactly 4 min through the park. The only problem was, tonight when I got to the park I realized there are no lights whatsoever at night there, so I had to take the main road. No biggie, my lights should come in soon.

As for the bike, it is the opitomy of a beater, bent front fork( which I straightened), drop bracket for rear brake so it does something, and slightly off chainline since all I did was shorten the chain and remove dérailleur.
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

Bedwards Of The West
    You should conduct an experiment:

Take photos of the bike right now, and do absolutely zero maintenance on it until it is completely unrideable. We could take bets on what parts would fail, and the exact date of it's final pedal stroke. You're only out a 1 mile walk...it's the perfect situation.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

jrm
    mtbr member

Different hazards @ Night

Like people in dark clothing, scavenger critters and people running @ night Even if its only 5 mins id suggest a nice bright light just to be safe.

mtbr member
    I have some nice bright lights for my mtb and extra mounts too.

Commuterboy. I am willing, what is the purpose of said experiment, and what kind of starting condition does the bike need to be in? I have 4 old road bikes to choose from, and this one already has:
    reAr wheel out of true
    free ss conversion( removed front dérailleur and rear dérailleur with bad chainline)
    bent front fork( restraightened by me)
    rear brake with homemade bracket made to work
    uncomfortable seat
    greasy old chain

Now that I read all the problems, it already sounds like a failure.
    SS Rigid =
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

Bedwards Of The West
    The purpose would be the giant prize that you awarded to whoever the winner was. The bike sounds perfect. Good chance of epic failure within the first year.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Lol if this lasts one month without maintenance I would b happy
    SS Rigid =

mtbr member
    Some parks are legally closed after dark.
    '08 Jamis Dakota 29er
    '92 Hardrock Commuter

mtbr member
    This is not so much a park but a piece of town land with a swing set and multiple path that connect several neighborhoods
    SS Rigid =

No-Brakes Cougar
    Park shortcuts can be a lot of fun. There's one on my route that has a dense grove of trees and no lights, so it's pitch black even on a night with a full moon. The darkness just swallows up my headlight. It's a lot of fun actually!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0