Commuting again- Mtbr.com

Thread: Commuting again

mtbr member

Commuting again

For the last three years I have been commuting on my mountain bike with fat tires. Last week though I brought home my 1996 Trek 930 that I had loaned out to my nephew. I cleaned it up and mounted some Kenda Kwest tires and a speedometer/odometer and clipless pedals.

Today was the first ride and I love it! Those tires roll so much better and the frame is so much lighter. The rigid frame feels odd to me though it really isn't a huge deal.

Picture (it is too huge to post in thread)
    Arron
    2015 Giant Anthem SX
    2010 Felt - New Belgium Fat Tire Cruiser!!!
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone
    1996 Trek 930 commuter

weirdo
    Looks great! Rigid mtbs are such versatile critters it`s a wonder the world managed to turn without them for so long.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Looks great! Rigid mtbs are such versatile critters it`s a wonder the world managed to turn without them for so long.
    We just rode our fat tired 26" wheel coaster brake SS heavy steel bikes that were handed down to us (mine was possibly pre WWII) as if they were MTBs! Light alloys, gearing and decent brakes, and higher clearances transformed them, and the basic concept of a go anywhere bike was much improved. So the world turned but not as fast!

mtbr member
    My commute went well yesterday. The bike is so much faster and easier to maintain speed and go up my nemesis Post Street Hill. I still need to adjust the seat back a little and maybe change the tilt too.

Thanks for the complement!

Arron
    2015 Giant Anthem SX
    2010 Felt - New Belgium Fat Tire Cruiser!!!
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone
    1996 Trek 930 commuter

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I ride Kenda Kwest as well. What a great inexpensive way to make a commute easier! Good looking commuter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just underwent the same epiphany. I just did it the easy way. I traded a 15 year old Trek 850 in toward a Giant Seek 3 after commuting 2 weeks on my yukon with knobby tires. what a difference. The higher pressure is awesome. The seek also has reflective accents in the paint scheme. I have yet to ride it fully lit (3 front and 2 rear lights) since I tried it the other day and the front lights (Blackburn Fleas) were dead. thus, I got a new battery powered main front light. maybe a test ride pre dawn tomorrow.

Members who have read this thread: 0