Commuter for under $500US- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Commuter for under $500US

Hi,
    can you guys suggest some commuter bikes for under $500?
    I will use it mostly in city and paved trails, maybe some dirt roads, no MTB.
    Thanks!

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    How's craigslist in your area?

The steel motobecane singlespeed cross bike would be a good choice if its the sort of bike you're looking for. It is under 500 I think.
    - Simon

Bedwards Of The West
    I built mine for about that using the Access 29er frame from Performancebike.com (frame is $99-120 depending on current deals)
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My rat/commute bike is a Windsor "The Hour" track bike from BikesDirect. I added a front brake, (2) brake levers, toe clips and changed the cog to a 17 as I live in a pretty hilly city.

Nowadays they have <$300 bikes that come with brakes & toe clips. Most have a flip/flop hub if you don't want to ride fixed, too.

mtbr member
    I'd get one of these:
    Town Bikes | Classic, Stylish Three Speed City Bikes | Urban Bikes | Commuter Road Bikes | Windsor Oxford from bikesdirect.com
    Dirt roads, no problem. Comes with fenders, rack, 3 speed IGH, and classic style.

....or a Torker Graduate

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Hi,
    can you guys suggest some commuter bikes for under $500?
    I will use it mostly in city and paved trails, maybe some dirt roads, no MTB.
    Thanks!
    A big question is about how many miles is your commute and how many days a week? That would really play a part in what you need/want.

weirdo
    For that price, I`m sure can find something worth riding brand new, but I still like used better. Around here, we see a lot of 90s Trek 8XX bikes for under 100US, sometimes much less if you get lucky and find one with several little problems that the seller doesn`t know how to fix. Dump another 150 into it for good tires, cables/housing, brake pads, modern chain and HG freewheel and they rock. Then spend the other half of your budgeted money on lights, rack, beer, or whatever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Scott Sub 50

I just bought a Scott SUB 50 from REI for $270. It is my first bike with (kinda) skinny tires but I'm lovin it. It's single speed, but has a derailluer hanger. If you wanted to change out the rear hub it seems like it could easily run geared. The frame is tabbed for disk brakes as well, but not the fork. There are higher end geared models of this bike, but they are subsatntially more expensive. I think I got a really good deal. I didn't think I'd like the 170mm crank arms, but for SS street use they aren't bad. Not sure why crank arms on a size large frame would be so short... maybe it's a road thing... or a SS thing... Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Traveler
    You should try out the Specialized Crosstrail. I really like the way this bike handles and it's fit and finish is quality. Specialized did a nice job designing and making this one.

The base version with V brakes and a crappy suspension fork is around $500. ( I think it's worth it,)

The Bianchi Milano is another great and excellent commuter bike.

Now that I think about it, go with a Bianchi...My daily rides are on my Bianchi...

Be sure to test ride any bikes you are considering. If it fits you and it's comfortable, any bike you decide on will be a good choice...

Good luck.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmc82 View Post
    Not sure why crank arms on a size large frame would be so short... maybe it's a road thing... or a SS thing... Maybe someone can enlighten me.
    Just guessing- since it`s SS, maybe they were thinking of the possibility of people using it with fixed hub?
    But 170 doesn`t sound that "short" to me since my cranks range from 155 to 165

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I second trying out the crosstrail. I think I paid $400 for last years model. It is a beast so isnt super fast but its durable and comfortable.

mtbr member
    Anyone ride the Novara ETA or Buzz? They seem like a good commuter bike for around $500. I'm thinking of getting the ETA. Right now I'm using my old '98 Trek 8500 as a commuter, but it's a little too small and not comfortable for longer rides on pavement.

Traveler
    I never tried one, I heard they are not that bad though. Specialized Crosstrail, GT Transeo are some other options for you.
    Personally, I would go to a LBS. Quality setups, aftercare, upgrades, knowledge and friendships are things you will not get at REI.