Commuter tires on my hardtail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Commuter tires on my hardtail

I plan on doing all rail trail riding this year. I was deciding if I wanted to get a new commuter bike but decided to just get new commuter tires for my hardtail. I was even tempting selling my Giant XTC but decided I didn't want to part with the carbon frame and air fork.
    The tires are Kenda Komfort 27.5 X 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commuter tires on my hardtail-img_0196.jpg  

Commuter tires on my hardtail-img_0198.jpg  

Commuter tires on my hardtail-img_0195.jpg  

Last edited by paulmich; 02-06-2018 at 10:25 PM.

mtbr member
    I see why you wanted to keep it, nice looking machine! It's amazing the difference a set of less aggressive tyres can make to the way a bike rides. Hope you enjoy your rail trails wherever they are!!
    2018 commutes - 26 days, 542 miles

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks SlipSpace. The only thing im lacking on the xtc is rack mounts. But I do use an Osprey back pack so that will work for me.
    Last edited by paulmich; 02-08-2018 at 12:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'll give you my best secret. Take a star nut, put it in from the bottom of the steerer tube, now you have a 5 mm bolt for some sort of fender. Could support say 1FT on either side.

Class Clown
    Great idea! I always run cheap Kenda tires on my commuter. They have tons of tread patterns and hold up well. Be cautious of the fork if it's going to see any salt. That stuff gets inside and does damage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    Great idea! I always run cheap Kenda tires on my commuter. They have tons of tread patterns and hold up well. Be cautious of the fork if it's going to see any salt. That stuff gets inside and does damage.
    Its mid winter here so I don't plan on riding till end of March at the earliest. This is my first time using Kenda tires. I read alot of positive reviews on them.

Class Clown
    I hadn't noticed but I run those same tires 26x1.95 in the nicer months. They make things alot easier and I run a bigger chainring with them compared to winter tires. You will appreciate the speed and efficiency over a knobby tire and the tread helps add some traction. I find them to handle rain well though I tend to slow things down a bit in the wet.

For the winter I have Kenda Dart 26x2.1 and they are pretty solid and do a decent job with snow and ice, letting some air out on icy roads.

And my newest addition Kenda Klondike 26x1.95 studded tires which haven't seen any miles yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    I hadn't noticed but I run those same tires 26x1.95 in the nicer months. They make things alot easier and I run a bigger chainring with them compared to winter tires. You will appreciate the speed and efficiency over a knobby tire and the tread helps add some traction. I find them to handle rain well though I tend to slow things down a bit in the wet.

For the winter I have Kenda Dart 26x2.1 and they are pretty solid and do a decent job with snow and ice, letting some air out on icy roads.

And my newest addition Kenda Klondike 26x1.95 studded tires which haven't seen any miles yet.
    How do the Kendas hold up against flats?

Class Clown
    I would say similar to comparable tires. I've used Spesh Armadillo tires ($50 a pop) and still got nasty flats. The Klondike's will let small metal/glass through. I think it comes with the territory when you have a low profile tread but still a wid-ish tire.

As comparison the Darts I use in the winter practically never get flats, probably due to the knobs.

I was thinking of trying to mount some of these street tires tubeless even though they are not tubeless ready.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for the heads up dundundata. I plan on taking an extra tube on my rides this year. Something I never had to worry about with the knobbys