commuter suggestion for a mountain biker.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

commuter suggestion for a mountain biker.

HI,
    I am an avid mountain biker, I ride xc/trail/am and also Dh bikes.

I started commuting(25km each way) on an old 10 speeds peugoet and I find the bike a bit slow and not super confortable, i have a hardtime with drop bars so far, might get better with time...

what type of bike do you suggest for a mountain biker?

should i go with a CX bike like the kona jake serie?
    or bikes with a more mtb style like the giant seek series(are they fast)?
    there are also the in between kind of bikes like the giant rapid series wich look fast but not neccessary confy.

i'm not too sure what to choose, i'm looking for comfort and speed.
    waht would you suggest

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ride what you got, and XC bike is fine so is the old peugot....tune it up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Ride what you got, and XC bike is fine so is the old peugot....tune it up.

my trail/AM bike is a canfield one with 7'' travel in the back(yes its a trailbike that pedals like 5' xc bike)..no commuting on that...I've been trying to make the peugeot comfy for over a year now and i can't get to what i want it to be, plus its old technology so finding part with the old standards is getting an issue..after spending too much money on it trying to make it fit good i decided its time to get something else, more modern. anyway i have a buyer for the peugeot.
    Last edited by tartosuc; 05-28-2010 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tartosuc
    my xc/trail bike is a canfield one with 7'' travel in the backThat is not an X/C bike..no commuting on that...I've been trying to make the peugeot comfy for over a year now and i can't get to what i want it to be, plus its old technology so finding part with the old standards is getting an issue..after spending too much money on it trying to make it fit good i decided its time to get something else, more modern. anyway i have a buyer for the peugeot.
    .......Seat and bars that is about all the peugot would need...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    .......Seat and bars that is about all the peugot would need...
    Obviously you did not read what i wrote...i tried that already, multiple configurations...

now stop trying to convince me to keep the peugeot, i'm looking for something else. if you have nothing else to say just dont say anything.

anyone else have a opinion?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Obviously you did not read what i wrote...i tried that already, multiple configurations...

now stop trying to convince me to keep the peugeot, i'm looking for something else. if you have nothing else to say just dont say anything.

anyone else have a opinion?

Yes Dear....go ride some bikes at the LBS you know try multiple configurations that sort of thing.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    hey Tart, why don't you give us more info about your commute...

I see from your selection on bikes you won't have to many hills and road will be fair to you (you know, no big potholes and stuff)

Are you going to buy from a LBS?

that Seek looks that will do the job...it seem to be on the confy side, It has 32 tires, but you can always change them to some 28 or 25 depending on road conditions...I'll say go try that one on a LBS and check room for fenders and for a rear rack too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    hey Tart, why don't you give us more info about your commute...

I see from your selection on bikes you won't have to many hills and road will be fair to you (you know, no big potholes and stuff)

Are you going to buy from a LBS?

that Seek looks that will do the job...it seem to be on the confy side, It has 32 tires, but you can always change them to some 28 or 25 depending on road conditions...I'll say go try that one on a LBS and check room for fenders and for a rear rack too.
    My commute is 25km each way,
    generally no big steep hills but some "false flat" like we say in french, one steeper hill at toward my workplace(steep enough to scare me with the winpy brakes of my peugeot), roads are ok, a few sections got potholes.

yes i will be going to a LBS, i usually build my bikes from scratch but for this one i feel it will be cheaper to buy fully build. of course Fenders and rear racks are a possibility, the bikes that i've mentionned all have them.

i'm looking for a faster more comfy bike than my old peugeot.

mtbr member
    I just threw on some 1.25 slicks on one of my XC hardtails. I go almost the same speed as my road bike.

Recreational Racer
    Ditto on what sanjuro said. I retired my low end hardtail bought a new FS and then threw some slicks on the hardtail and ride it to work three to five times a week.
    “Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.”

weirdo
    That`s a pretty long commute to be uncomfortable on. I`d say to try out whatever variety of bikes you can find locally, like JS said. Dropbars might never feel right to you, but remember that there are a lot of different shapes and sizes and they all feel different. If you want to ditch the Peugot, that`s fine, but I don`t know why you`re having trouble finding parts unless they`re French standard. My understanding is that some Peugots were French and some were "rest of the world", depending on year and model. I live in a relatively small city and sometimes I have to hit up a few different shops to find what I need for older bikes, but I can usually get it locally. On the net, almost everything is still available- not always the same model, but at least something compatible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    That`s a pretty long commute to be uncomfortable on. I`d say to try out whatever variety of bikes you can find locally, like JS said. Dropbars might never feel right to you, but remember that there are a lot of different shapes and sizes and they all feel different. If you want to ditch the Peugot, that`s fine, but I don`t know why you`re having trouble finding parts unless they`re French standard. My understanding is that some Peugots were French and some were "rest of the world", depending on year and model. I live in a relatively small city and sometimes I have to hit up a few different shops to find what I need for older bikes, but I can usually get it locally. On the net, almost everything is still available- not always the same model, but at least something compatible.
    here's the story on the peugeot,
    i've been a bike mechanic in the 80'S so i know a thing or two about parts fitting on theses old bikes. its not a euro model it s a canadian model. Its been upgraded with all kinds of mtb parts, a tiagra cranset etc...i've also converted the 27" wheels to a 700c wheelset i had home wich makes the brakes not fitting good. Brakes never worked good on this one, the peugoet was a lower end one so brake are cheap and i cannot buy any other brakes due to the fitting issue between the 700c and 27" wheel standard..
    I could probably get by with the peugeot with a new seat, brakes and still working on finding the sweetspot for the stem, but the wheelset is worn out and will not last another year, so its a matter of spending more money on a old bike or sell it and get some new stuff. i'd rather get new stuff that will be easily adjustable with the new standards. I got a good tax return this year so i decided to use part of it to threat myself to a new bike for comuting and some occasional road riding(spring training)
    i understand i can use an old hardtail mtb..but i dont have one.

Terrain Sculptor
    This could start a nasty debate but I'm pretty happy with my GF Mamba (29er hardtail) for road riding. Not as fast as a real road bike but comfortable... and faster than any of my 26ers. Some stubby bar ends give me the option of changing up my hand position on those long rides. If I get bored or see a trail on the way, off road I go.

I understand from my LBS that the older 29ers were geared higher than the newer ones so they would, in theory be better suited for road riding than the newer ones.

Moderator Moderator
    My new to me x-bike is faster than my MTB but not quite as comfy on the neck (can get stiff) and hands (can get numb) as the MTB. Granted, I haven't adjusted or changed anything but the seatpost yet, still getting used to it...
    If there is any headwind the x bike is a lot faster, even with rarely riding the drops (usually bars or hoods). Comfier than my road bike on poor roads for sure.

mtbr member
    g/l on finding the comfortable sweet spot.

I find my mtb makes my hand go numb on my commutes. My road bike is more ergonomic for long stints in the saddle.

Modern drop bar and hoods are designed better to allow circulation. And I'm sure you're already aware of proper cockpit setup.

In any case, I'm trying to build a commuter myself. I'm not too happy with my converted FS bike (mostly due to old brakes and hubs possibly adding drag) and I don't like how my nice road bike is getting pummeled with water and road grit on the drive train and brakes.

Plus I come down 600' plateau and have to come to a stop at an intersection. Not too cool with wet rim brakes.

My thought is just to take my old HT frame, build a 1x8 drivetrain, run the 1.25" tires, swap in a rigid fork with disc mount and run a BB7 up front. Add fenders and I should be fine for my 14mi commute.
    Just get out and ride!

Bedwards Of The West
    I've spent the last few years on a cyclocross mutant... awesome geometry and speed. You mentioned the Kona Jake... you are on the right track there. They are awesome. But as an MTB guy you may want to go with disc brakes. There are a few factory cyclocross bikes with discs, but not many since they aren't allowed in sanctioned races. You could consider joining the Nashbar X frame club... There are a few of us on here who really like ours.

My new project is a drop-bar 29er though. Either one of these options sounds like they might fit you...I'm a MTB guy too, and a very reluctant road convert.

I will say give the drops some time... they get more comfortable. And they are great for getting out of the wind.

I'm with traffic002 as far as building a bike specific to your needs...nothing better than a purpose-built bike specifically like you want it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    HI,
    I am an avid mountain biker, I ride xc/trail/am and also Dh bikes.

what type of bike do you suggest for a mountain biker?

i'm looking for comfort and speed.

waht would you suggest
    Which is more important to you, speed or comfort? That could make a big difference in your selection.

For me the decision was more between speed and flexibility (as in being able to ride more/different terrain). My commute is 35KM each way and has 1400' of climbing so I could easily shave quite a bit of time by switching to a road bike but decided that I liked the flexibility that comes with running fat tires - sometimes I get the urge to take an off-road detour on my way home. I run a full rigid, steel frame 29er with a Titec H-bar which gives me more hand position options. I did try running 32mm tires for a while but didn't like them.

And while I know that I could be instantly faster by switching to a road bike, the extra work I put in during the week while commuting pays major dividends on the weekends when I am out on the trails.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I do second the idea that you should test ride a couple bikes for fit. I have a road and mountain bike for commuting currently, and I've had several iterations of commuters over the years. Typically the mtbs have been more versatile, but the road bikes are faster and I tend to attack my commute more on them.

I know the Peugeot is dead, and I don't blame you for not wanting it, but Tektro R566 will reach and are decent brakes.

I think you need to have room and mounts for full fenders, regardless of the direction you go.

mtbr member
    SO i finaly made my choice.
    last saturday i went shopping, i tested a few bikes in 3 different shops and asked a lot of questions at the sales guy's (a few were friends) I ended up with an OPUS capriccio 2009 model that was on sale. I was also tempted by a giant rapid, but for the parts that were on the opus compared to the giant, i could not pass this one...

I used it twice this week and i think its what i've been looking for.: fast, comfy. i really like how it rides
    I'm suprised how fast the bike is.:i did my usuall run 10 minutes faster both days!.
    I also found out that my peugeot was a bit too big for me wich resulted in most of my disconfort.

I dont plan on setting it up with fenders, I commute 2 to 3 times a week and choose the nicer days. anyway if i need to i have space for fenders.
    her it is.:
    I know the seat is the ugliest thing but its comfy! plus the shop will exchange my seat a few time during the first month until i find the one for me.

mtbr member
    Funny.... I always thought a Titanium would suit you better. Yeah I can totally see you on a Ti frame with Campy Chorus gruppo.

Recreational Racer
    Off topic but those look like a set of first generation Mallets. How well have the held up for you?
    “Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.”

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jvan_wert
    Off topic but those look like a set of first generation Mallets. How well have the held up for you?
    yes they are first gen Mallets..I rode them 2 seasons on my MTB, no problem.
    They work very well with that bike also

Members who have read this thread: 0