Commuter Pride- Mtbr.com

Thread: Commuter Pride

mtbr member

Commuter Pride

I decided to do a charity ride last Saturday. I was a 30 mile ride.

It wasn't very well advertised so there were only about 30 of us that arrived in the High School parking lot to do the ride. I noticed immediately pretty much everyone else was decked out in "kit" on their road bikes. They all gave me funny looks when I pulled my flat bar hybrid commuter out of the car with my rear racks and flat pedals.

I pulled the rack off and stowed it in the car. Put on my Mountain Bike helmet and got ready to ride.

This was my first "roadie" group/tour ride and I had been warned not to chase after the rabbits at the start or I'd get fried and be toast by the end of the ride. I use Endomondo on my Android to keep me on pace so I did the same.

On the first hill one of the roadies passed me, my heart raced, but I forced myself to maintain my pace and I ended up passing at the next turn in the route. I didn't see anyone after that. It was a bit concerning...but I kept on at it, following the painted marks on the roads.

I began to doubt myself, thinking maybe I had missed a turn or added a loop and missed the other riders somewhere. I finally get back to the school, nobody is there but all the cars are there. 30 miles on the dot. I wanted to ride some more so I rode around the school a few times and took it up another 3 miles.

Finally a guy comes riding up, we chat for about 30 minutes. Still nobody shows up. I finally load up and head out and I see just as I'm getting ready to turn out of the parking lot a paceline of roadies...arriving at least 45 minutes after I finished.

Commuter Pride.

Next week will be entirely different as it is a very well organized and very well known event "The Tour de Bass", I'm in for the 70.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

weirdo
    I can`t understand exactly what went down this time bC, but it does sound like you had fun. 70 next weekend? Go get it! If you can do that now, no doubt you`ll be able to pull off your C next year (might not be able to wait that long, though). Just don`t wipe yourself out over it.

Good luck, have fun and ride safe!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Good job and keep up the good work. However, did you ever find out what happen with the rest of the riders? 30 to 45 minutes is a very large margin to beat anyone by in a 30 mile ride. Was there supposed to be stops along the way that you missed out on? I'm no professional, but there isn't a cyclist in the world that could beat me by 45 minutes in a 30 mile ride. Let us know how the Tour de Bass goes.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

since 4/10/2009
    yeah, a 45 min margin is huge. what was your pacing based on what the computer told you? maybe the other guys were taking a recovery day or something?

mtbr member
    There were two aid stations (water, Gatorade and basic snacks). I saw one rider at the first one, he took off as I arrived. I should have gone back to the parking lot and asked questions after everyone else finished...maybe the whole group got lost. That would be a more logical explanation...but not nearly as fun as thinking that I just plain beat them.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    yeah, a 45 min margin is huge. what was your pacing based on what the computer told you? maybe the other guys were taking a recovery day or something?
    My pace was a pretty leisurely (by road riding standards) 12.8mph overall.

Come on now...don't blow my moment. Maybe they all got lost, but it's so much better thinking I just flat beat them.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post

Come on now...don't blow my moment. Maybe they all got lost, but it's so much better thinking I just flat beat them.
    I was hoping you'd say that your pace was a monstrous 30mph or something like that.

making a wrong turn does make sense for the rest of the group.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Hey, you still get props from me for invading the roadies on their own turf. We will let you have your joy. But remember that when you tell this story in the future, try to downplay or leave out the '30-45 minute' part (especially if you're talking to fellow cyclists). All people need to know is that you made it back before the rest of the roadies.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

weirdo
    Maybe they all got lost, but it's so much better thinking I just flat beat them.
    Well there ya go, then.
    Roadies: half of em can`t navigate and the rest are just plain turtles

mtbr member
    Clever to get out early and paint that detour for them!

BrianMc

Members who have read this thread: 0