Commuter Pride 2- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeCOLORADO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,919

    Commuter Pride 2

    I'm fat, old and I have been commuting only by bike for 12.5 weeks now. I've got 1,070 total miles behind me and I stepped it up on Saturday by doing a 70 mile tour. There were about 40 riders in the class and I managed to come in mid pack on my flat bar hybrid.

    I will do the century next year and I will hopefully be about 50 lbs lighter.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

  2. #2
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,451
    No better feeling in the world. Nice work.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  3. #3
    weirdo
    Reputation: rodar y rodar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,223
    Whoohoo!!!
    Way to go bC!

  4. #4
    CB of the East
    Reputation: bedwards1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,975
    Nice work!
    Keep up the commuting and you'll undoubtedly become less "fat".
    Keep up the commuting and you should feel less "old". I'm not sure what the average age is on the commuter forum but I'm guessing it's in the low 40s. Maybe it's poll time.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    I'm fat, old and I have been commuting only by bike for 12.5 weeks now. I've got 1,070 total miles behind me and I stepped it up on Saturday by doing a 70 mile tour. There were about 40 riders in the class and I managed to come in mid pack on my flat bar hybrid.

    I will do the century next year and I will hopefully be about 50 lbs lighter.
    Now that you are commuting....focus on you nutrition.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeCOLORADO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Now that you are commuting....focus on you nutrition.
    Nutrition.

    I hate my metabolism. Since I started commuting we have gone to eating meat roughly once a week, I cut out all sodas and I'm trying to replace processed foods with whole/raw fruits and veggies. Yet...my body just has a death grip on the extra 60lbs or so of fat I'm carrying around.

    I rode 140 miles last week, including the tour yet I didn't lose a single pound. Just makes me want to ride more and piss in the wind of my jacked up metabolism.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    Nutrition.

    I hate my metabolism. Since I started commuting we have gone to eating meat roughly once a week, I cut out all sodas and I'm trying to replace processed foods with whole/raw fruits and veggies. Yet...my body just has a death grip on the extra 60lbs or so of fat I'm carrying around.

    I rode 140 miles last week, including the tour yet I didn't lose a single pound. Just makes me want to ride more and piss in the wind of my jacked up metabolism.
    Nutrition is very complicated unless you really uderstand it.....I go to a dietian or a nutritionist every now and then just to get everything straight...

    Feels like you may need a bit more protein....and a little less carbs...

    That means more meat (expensive lean meats chicken, fish)....maybe more nuts...

    Lower the fruit juice intake and especially anything with corn syrup, or fructose added...

    Drink lots of water...

    But hey what do I know????

  8. #8
    CB of the East
    Reputation: bedwards1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,975
    I'd say you are on the right track. I wouldn't worry about cutting out meat. If I am looking to lose weight I cut out any grain based food. Basically try to eat foods low on the glycemic index so your body doesn't try to store the extra calories as fat.

  9. #9
    CB of the East
    Reputation: bedwards1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,975
    Yup, what Jeffscott said.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeCOLORADO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,919
    I know about "liquid calories", so I only drink water and I try to drink a gallon a day.

    I am pretty certain the thing that is killing me is all the refined carbs (breads, crackers, pretzels, etc) I have been eating/snacking on. I will switch more to nuts and raw veggies. I love snacking on raw broccoli and cabbage and almonds.

    We cut meat out mainly to save money, protein is getting expensive. I see lots of beans in my future.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

  11. #11
    CB of the East
    Reputation: bedwards1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,975
    I second that. The refined carbs are the most likely suspect. I'd say try to minimize them as much as possible. Don't be militant about it or you'll likely fail but try to consciously limit them for a while and see what happens. Be careful of the nuts because they are high calorie.

    Sounds like you have a good direction, getting there is the hard part. Personally, cookies are my downfall. I'd probably be 10 lbs lighter if I could cut them out. Oh well.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    I know about "liquid calories", so I only drink water and I try to drink a gallon a day.

    I am pretty certain the thing that is killing me is all the refined carbs (breads, crackers, pretzels, etc) I have been eating/snacking on. I will switch more to nuts and raw veggies. I love snacking on raw broccoli and cabbage and almonds.

    We cut meat out mainly to save money, protein is getting expensive. I see lots of beans in my future.
    another note

    come summer I need to up my sodium intake....when you reduce meat (lots of sodium) and cut out the salt shaker....you end up needing salt when you sweat alot.

    That means you can use some salt with the nuts etc...if you like

    The nutritionist gave me a home made elcetrolyte drink

    I think 5 cups of water 8 teaspoons of sugar (table sugar sucrose, or honey glucose harder to dissolve) and 1 teaspoon of salt.....

    You have to added lemon or lime juice to take the bad taste of the salt away....

    Be warned since there are no preservative if you leave it in the water bottle for a week...the alcohol content starts to climb.

  13. #13
    Wierdo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,025
    Congratulations bikeCOLO! Keep it up.

    I try to keep a focus on my nutrition too. Lot's of M&M's. Peanut ones so I get more nuts at the same time!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,394
    I find that my body hates all concentrated carbos. Wasted on my waist. Semi-neolithic diet helps me. I am 0 -, some say that plays a role. Mostly home prepared and lots of salads with meat tossed in.

    PS Good show on the ride.

    BrianMc

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    572
    Nice work on the riding! Its an inspiring turnaround sounds like and 70 miles is no small accomplishment! One additional I will say about the issue of weight loss is that if you were significantly inactive prior to all this riding, you may see level weight, minimal loss or even a slight rise just from the increase in muscle mass in the short term. Muscle weighs more than fat, so initially it is possible to see very little difference in your overall weight. But that will change with time.

    But if you are eating well and being that active, you are doing everything right. And if you feel good, even better. That is what it is all about! Every body is different. The important thing is to use it well...and to enjoy yourself!

  16. #16
    Team Inflexible
    Reputation: Jaydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,943
    bC Miss having you in Colorado. I still remember riding with you that fist time on your borrowed friends MTB and ripping Ute Valley.

    Glad to see your still cranking out the miles and making the best of your riding situation.

    jay

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeCOLORADO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude View Post
    bC Miss having you in Colorado. I still remember riding with you that fist time on your borrowed friends MTB and ripping Ute Valley.

    Glad to see your still cranking out the miles and making the best of your riding situation.

    jay
    Wayback machine! Wow...that was 98 or 99 I think. Mad props to you for dredging that memory up. I miss riding on trails, I miss riding in Colorado for sure - but I am riding and smiling still.

    That first ride with you set a concrete passion in me for riding "adult" bikes. It would have been different without you as "trail guide". I remember you said before we dropped into Ute Valley..."Just let the bike do it's thing, try not to fight it."

    I think I might have a pic of you riding a wheelie across one of the Gemini Bridges. Will have to see if I can find it.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

  18. #18
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,451
    I stopped "drinking" the leftover glaze and sprinkles that are at the bottom of the bag when I finish my donut... it's tough, but I'm trying to cut wherever I can. Haven't seen any real results yet...?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  19. #19
    Ex-Clydesdale
    Reputation: Dwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I stopped "drinking" the leftover glaze and sprinkles that are at the bottom of the bag when I finish my donut... it's tough, but I'm trying to cut wherever I can. Haven't seen any real results yet...?
    Didn't your mom ever tell you about all those starving kids in Africa? Finish your donut, crumbs and all.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

  20. #20
    Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Reputation: hunter006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    I'm fat, old and I have been commuting only by bike for 12.5 weeks now. I've got 1,070 total miles behind me and I stepped it up on Saturday by doing a 70 mile tour. There were about 40 riders in the class and I managed to come in mid pack on my flat bar hybrid.

    I will do the century next year and I will hopefully be about 50 lbs lighter.
    Well done! I was in the same position (sans being old) in 2008. Looking back on it now, taking up cycling again was one of the best decisions I've made in the last 5 years.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    309
    As someone who lost over 120lbs (300 - 180) I'll tell you how I did it. For six days a week I ate less then 1200 calories a day (it didn't matter what), one day a week I ate what I wanted. Eventually you will improve your diet if you restrict calories, because it's the only way you'll have enough energy to keep exercising.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.