Commuter-preferred lighting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Commuter-preferred lighting

I'm looking for suggestions for a new headlight for my bike. A few negotiable requirements are:

o bar mounted
    o LED
    o frame mounted battery
    o around two hours of battery life minimum
    o possible use a backup light for night riding offroad
    o descent re-charge time

I was hoping to go $50, but could see spending more if the benefits are there. Thanks.

dirtbag
    My recommendation:

Dinotte 400L with Li-ion rechargable batteries. Fits all your criteria except for price but you get what you pay for. I doubt you can find a light for $50 that'll address your requirements. Even the oft recommended Magic Shine lights are more than $50.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by commo_soulja
    I doubt you can find a light for $50 that'll address your requirements. Even the oft recommended Magic Shine lights are more than $50.
    +1 On your budget. Even the Planet Bike 2W Blaze self-contained light is over $50 on sale. Some use this light on well-lit streets. IMHO it's a borderline to see light, pretty decent be seen, backup, or near field light. The Magic Shine MJ-808 (recommend Geoman as source) is a bit unfriendly to oncoming motorists, so some commuters tape off the top part of the light to reduce glare.

You may get something from this thread, too:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=585603

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

head & tail light for 150.00

Spend a little more and get the Magic Shine head lamp and if your pockets are a little deeper the matching tail light. They offer the BRIGHTEST bang for the buck. I've been riding with the headlight for a year and just picked up the tail light. I can run both lights off of a single battery with the Y cable and can get 2 hrs plus per charge. Perfect for commuting.

O.T
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I use the dealextreme ''Tesla copy''. Very good light for the price!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gerhardt
    Spend a little more and get the Magic Shine head lamp and if your pockets are a little deeper the matching tail light. They offer the BRIGHTEST bang for the buck. I've been riding with the headlight for a year and just picked up the tail light. I can run both lights off of a single battery with the Y cable and can get 2 hrs plus per charge. Perfect for commuting.
    +1
    I also use the tail light for my running stroller and trailer. It's WELL worth the money!

One Colorful Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    . The Magic Shine MJ-808 (recommend Geoman as source) is a bit unfriendly to oncoming motorists, so some commuters tape off the top part of the light to reduce glare.

You may get something from this thread, too:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=585603

The Magic Shine MJ-808 +2 I've commuted for over 7 years. The Magic Shine is the best light I've ever owned and its well worth the money. I've log well over 5000 commuting miles a year

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Here you go....

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...7&category=105 . The NiteRider MiNewt Mini 150 USB is likely one of the best bang for the buck light systems out there. Very reasonably priced for what you get and BRIGHT! On the high setting I often get flashed at night by oncoming traffic. It can be recharged from a wall outlet, or through a USB port on a computer in 4 hours or less. And the battery is quite small and light weight. Also the system is more than up to the task of off road night rides. NiteRider also makes a model with a self contained battery as well, the MiNewt 150 Cordless. The battery is contained in the lamp housing, has the same light output, burn time, and recharge time as well. Oh and I should mention that they are durable as well. A few crashes and all kinds of sloppy weather hasn't bothered mine at all.

Your call of course, but you'll be hard pressed to find a light with the same features, light output, and simpicity at $80.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

jrm
    mtbr member

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Normbilt
    The Magic Shine MJ-808 +2 I've commuted for over 7 years. The Magic Shine is the best light I've ever owned and its well worth the money. I've log well over 5000 commuting miles a year
    unfriendly to drivers or not, it sure works great.

mtbr member
    Rethinking the frinedliness of the Magicshine to oncoming traffic::

1. Beamshots show a narrow medium or a wide narrow beam and nice hot spot, so aiming it right should keep the brightest part of the beam on the ground and not in driver's eyes. Could be better, but not bad. Better than my first 900+ lumen bar light. I have also leaned that many motorists are so glad we are well lit they forgive a lot.

2. One owner of a well aimed one, said in all his use only one driver complained with high beams and gestures. He thought if it was a big issue there'd be a lot more complaints than that. See point 1.

3. If you havve neihgbors who complain, taping the top of the light doesn't work. A longish bill or shade might cut a good portion of the top of the spill off and help some and is easy enough to tape on and test.

Be interesting to see the beam on the new one.

mtbr member
    Look into Cygolite. I just got done demo'ing a Milion for a buddy/shop owner and loved it for commuting. Plenty bright, 3 modes (High, Low, Strobe) and charges via USB. When I took it back I ended up purchasing a Cygolite Expilion (which is very similar) but offers an extra 50 lumens in high mode. Price is $100-115

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    +1 for Cygolite. I bought a Milion 200 last year and it's the perfect commuter light for me. I love having the battery and light in one unit.

LCI #1853
    I do a lot of night riding and commuting, so I'm fond of lights that would burn holes in the ozone layer ;-)

I ran a Cygolite for three or four years, and really liked it. Mine was a dual beam, high & low, and had a pretty decent run time, maybe ab hour and a half to two hours.

In the fall of 2008, I upgraded and bought a Light & Motion Stella 200N. This is still my all-time favorite light, it's bright, able to pick up a ninja at nearly a quarter mile, and has probably the best run time... 5 to 6 hours on the high setting, and nearly a hundred hours on the flashing mode. Plus, it's easy to move from bike to bike, as it doesn't have a bolt-on mount like the CygoLite does.

Another good choice is the Dinotte 200L. A big advantage is that it's bright, very flexible as to how you mount it, and it runs on AA batteriee so that in a pinch you can get a "recharge" at any convenience store.

Last winter, I invested in a MagicShine. I like it as well, and use it as a backup and sometimes a supplement to my Stella. I've rolled up behind some of my buddies and startled them, because they thought a car had sneaked in behind them ;-)

All, individually or in concert, are good choices for a commuter or trail-riding light.
    Ride a mountain bike... you will not regret it if you live.
    (with apologies to Mark Twain & The Taming of the Bicycle)

since 4/10/2009
    I use a Magicshine for commuting. Due to concerns about blinding drivers, I tend to run mine on the low setting unless I get somewhere I need to see better (there are some dark areas in my town, and I have a dark singletrack option, also) or if I feel like I need to flash MY brights at someone. ;-)

Members who have read this thread: 0