Commuter Pants for a Clyde- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New question here. Commuter Pants for a Clyde

I'm moving in to my new house next week, which means I'll have a long, grueling 1.6 mile commute each day. I've never commuted before but would like to get some khaki type commuter pants. Everything I'm finding is slim fit meant for guys with legs the size of Twizzlers. At 250 pounds, I am not there target customer, is there anything ya'll would recommend?

At 1.5 miles, it's not a big deal to me to have commuter specific pants, but if there is a fair priced option I'd love to see it. Thank!

since 4/10/2009
    I'm aware of some companies that make bike commuter specific pants, but they're not going to be inexpensive. And I have no concept of what would be good for you as a clyde. However, I've got big, muscular legs and have to be picky with pants, too.

At a 1.6mi commute, I'm not sure I'd be putting a whole lot of energy into commute specific clothes for most of the year. On warm days in summertime, I'd be wearing regular bike clothes. For rainy days, I'd look for some good rain gear, possibly a rain cape. And for winter, I'd be bundling up. But on days like today (sunny, temps in the 50's-70's), I'd just wear regular clothes. If you plan to ride a little harder, I'd lean further to the regular bike clothes and bring clean work clothes in a backpack or pannier.

Some folks in this board bring a week's worth of work clothes on one day of the week (and bring home the dirty laundry) so they don't have to ride with a change of work clothes EVERY day.

I am personally looking to change employers (in a lateral move) so that I can be 2mi from home instead of 22mi from home. The 22mi commute is annoying at times. I enjoy riding it, but the time is takes to ride it gets old fast. 3hrs minimum of commuting every day. If it was the only riding I actually did, it might be one thing. But it takes away the possibility for the after-work mtb ride, which I like to do in the summertime. So that's why I'm driving today instead of bike commuting (so I can bring my mtb in the car and hit the trails after work). It might be a little different if I could more easily include a mtb trail on my commute. That's not so practical.

With a 2mi commute, I could easily fit a mtb ride after work. In fact, I might even have room for driving an hour away to hit the weekday evening rides on Tues/Thurs nights on occasion. At any rate, I'd most likely just wear whatever for the short ride, take it fairly easy most days, and use baby wipes and a fresh deodorant at work.

I'd rather be on my bike
    At 1.6 miles for a commute, I see no reason to buy commuter specific pants. Just wear what you would normally wear at work and take it easy on the bike to not break a sweat. Shorts in the summer if you desire.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm a big dude, 6'4 290lbs and I just started to commute 2.7 miles to work one way. I wear "Levis 505 stretch" and have found that they are great for riding in. They look like normal jeans and feel like them too, they just have a little stretch to them to be comfortable moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I just realized that you want khaki type, I'm not sure what styles they make them in. I also wanted to include that they are around $50 a pair.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks guys for the advice. I'll have to try keeping my clothes at the office or wearing my normal clothes and taking it easy and see what works best.

mtbr member
    If this is from a "sweating" and "too hot" perspective, different set of clothes at work or take it easy going to work.

If this is from a "don't get my pants caught in the chain" perspective, velcro reflective ankle straps.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I wear an exercise/whatever shirt while riding to work and keep my work shirt in a pannier. I also keep a kit in my desk with baby wipes, hand sanitizer, pomade, a comb, and deodorant.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Hey, slim fit jeans/pants are fine as long as you wear the right underwear. i find that as the slim fit jeans-pants stretch in the waist, crotch and thigh they become pretty darn comfortable. I say buy yourself a pair of slim fit jeans and give it a whirl.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    anything but jeans.

i commute in those activity pants. mine are Eddie Bauer Guide pants. i love them and my jeans might just go out of style by the time i revisit them.

i know for a fact that Costco is carrying a version. for $19.99. cant remember what they are called. they have one in a khaki color. for $20, it might be worth a try to see if they work well enough for you. they breath and dry fast.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    ding!!

they are called the UB tech Rainier travel chino!! (@ Costco)
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Lots of saddle time in jeans will wear the crotch out quickly. Jeans are really not designed to be ridden in a lot. A quick one to the store or whatever, sure. Repeated 8 mile commutes will destroy them.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

Yeah!
    aero|tech|designs has their own line of clothing for big/tall/clyde at much more reasonable prices than name brand. The quality has been great for everything I've purchased.

Going such a short distance, you will probably do fine in regular clothing. If not, you may want to consider an underliner for wearing under regular shorts or pants.

They also carry cargo shorts, knickers, mtb shorts, baggy shorts, plaid shorts, etc.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I've been moving the last week so I haven't had a chance to respond...or even breathe for that matter. I was most worried about wearing my dress clothes out. And the sweating as well. I'll try it with my normal clothes for a week or so and go from there. The aero tech clothing looks ideal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk