Which commuter for NY? Year-around bike (winter included)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Which commuter for NY? Year-around bike (winter included)?

Hello,

I need to choose a commuter for NY area... What would you recommend for the weather conditions of NY (autumn, winter included)? Cyclocross? Roadbike??

Any particular model?

I have about $500 ($600 - maximum).. I am a bit worried about going second-hand, so I'd rather buy something new.. I really need the bike only for one year..

Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zzbog
    Hello,

I need to choose a commuter for NY area... What would you recommend for the weather conditions of NY (autumn, winter included)? Cyclocross? Roadbike??

Any particular model?

I have about $500 ($600 - maximum).. I am a bit worried about going second-hand, so I'd rather buy something new.. I really need the bike only for one year..

Thank you!

Tour the garage sales find a bike with catridge bearings in the wheel and BB ride the **** out of it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    NY area or NYC? As in are there hills?

If the biggest thing you'll have to climb is the Brooklyn Bridge, singlespeeds are pretty sweet. For a new geared bike, your budget will extend to an entry-level mountain bike or some of Kona's utility models.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    Besides flat/hilly, how far? How much do you have to carry? Do you plan to ride the whole way or split commute with some kind of mass transit?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    If you ride in the snow and ice a cross bike can be pretty scary. I'd get a mountain bike with a rigid fork and fat tires for when the weather gets bad. Don't get a singlespeed either. You'll want gear options when it's windy and icy.
    $600 won't get you anything great but buy the best bike you can and ride it into the ground.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Yeah, definitely a MTB with fat tires. You could probably do fine with a single speed, but consider a flip-flop hub so you can switch over to fixed in icy conditions. You won't have to worry about the free-wheel freezing over (which it will) and you will probably have better control.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Yeah, frozen parts/derailleurs are never fun. You can kick the front to make it work and eventually the rear will thaw out but it sucks when nothing works.

Members who have read this thread: 0