Commuter for neighbour - seeking advice- Mtbr.com
    The Punk Hucker

Commuter for neighbour - seeking advice

Hello all,
    My neighbour asked me some questions abour bikes the other day because he always sees me with different bikes and all. He said he wanted a bike and then I offered to check out for him what was on offer. He plans to ride mostly road for groceries (hence why I post here) and to take the kid out but he wants a mountain bike for some occasional trails and gravel cycling paths. He mentionned he preferred aluminium and that he wanted a suspension. In fact he's pretty sold on the whole hybrid concept.

Since I offered to check it out for him I obviously have my own opinion which differs considerably (hence why I post here...) I have a strong feeling that given he wants to commute most of the time with occasional light trail riding he would definitely belong on a rigid steel 29er. It would be perfect for commuting and family rides, woudl be comfortable on the road, would sustain trail abuse, etc. With disc brakes, it would be my perfect choice. I know it goes against what he thinks he needs but it looks like a better option. We havent discussed budget yet, I was too busy, but this should be fairly affordable...

What do you think?
    Beware the hucking bear!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    Hello all,
    My neighbour asked me some questions abour bikes the other day because he always sees me with different bikes and all. He said he wanted a bike and then I offered to check out for him what was on offer. He plans to ride mostly road for groceries (hence why I post here) and to take the kid out but he wants a mountain bike for some occasional trails and gravel cycling paths. He mentionned he preferred aluminium and that he wanted a suspension. In fact he's pretty sold on the whole hybrid concept.

Since I offered to check it out for him I obviously have my own opinion which differs considerably (hence why I post here...) I have a strong feeling that given he wants to commute most of the time with occasional light trail riding he would definitely belong on a rigid steel 29er.What he wants a FS bike It would be perfect for commuting and family rides, woudl be comfortable on the road, would sustain trail abuse, etc. With disc brakes, it would be my perfect choice. I know it goes against what he thinks he needs but it looks like a better option. We havent discussed budget yet, I was too busy, but this should be fairly affordable...

What do you think?
    Look half the battle of riding a bike is in your head, he wants a nice soft cushy ride, with a little bit of bling....

He wants some granny in it cause he ain't in shape to go up much of any hill....

He wants some sort of carrier, for stuff etc...Probably a handlebar bag that sits out front.

He will want an erect position to start and will likely want to lower it has he rides more...

Take him to a LBS or two....

When something catches his eye you will know....

Then just advise him on the pluses and minuses....

Then make sure he gets a reasonable fit for his test ride...

Your done.

The Punk Hucker
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Look half the battle of riding a bike is in your head, he wants a nice soft cushy ride, with a little bit of bling....

He wants some granny in it cause he ain't in shape to go up much of any hill....

He wants some sort of carrier, for stuff etc...Probably a handlebar bag that sits out front.

He will want an erect position to start and will likely want to lower it has he rides more...

Take him to a LBS or two....

When something catches his eye you will know....

Then just advise him on the pluses and minuses....

Then make sure he gets a reasonable fit for his test ride...

Your done.
    Why did you add a comment about FS in my quote??????

I'm only pointing out what I feel would be good for his given application, I won't start taking his hand and bring him to shops. I pointed good shops around and will now point good bikes with where he can find them. After that, he's on his own, I'm not making this personal...
    Beware the hucking bear!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Why did you add a comment about FS in my quote??????

I'm only pointing out what I feel would be good for his given application,That is your first mistake I won't start taking his hand and bring him to shops. I pointed good shops around and will now point good bikes with where he can find them. After that, he's on his own, I'm not making this personal...
    He told you what he wanted...there must be a reason....

He wants encouragement and support....

This is not about what bike to buy...

It is all about getting into a sport....

I have helped several people get into this sport. It is quite amazing to see someone fall in love with a bike that catches their eye. Then they ride it.

I have never told anyone of them what bike to buy, I just give them some facts when they ask and show them the pluses and minuses of their choices.

Try it you will like it.

The Punk Hucker
    You made some crazy assumptions there boy. The guy used to be a bike messenger, he's not getting into the sport, he's getting back into it. He said he wanted a hybrid because he's afraid of discomfort, steel takes care of road vibrations...

And I totally disagree with your statement. If people ask for advice it's because they want it. If he just wanted to buy a bike he wouldn't have come to me, he would have went to the shop. I give my advice and that is the best bike they can buy for their money and application, I won't go and tell them what they want to hear if it doesn't make sense.

And maybe you should try giving people relevant advice once in a while, you would see it's very interesting to really help folks sometimes...

First mistake my ass.

Edit : BTW I'm not asking opinions on how to give advice to someone. I'm looking for other views on what would suit him...
    Beware the hucking bear!

Enthusiast
    Offhand,I'd probably suggest something like the Kona Dew, or perhaps the Specialized Crosstrail. I'm pretty sure the Dew has rack and fender mounts. It's also up to some light trail riding, gravel paths, that sort of thing.

The Punk Hucker
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    Offhand,I'd probably suggest something like the Kona Dew, or perhaps the Specialized Crosstrail. I'm pretty sure the Dew has rack and fender mounts. It's also up to some light trail riding, gravel paths, that sort of thing.
    The Dew is not a bad choice but I would tend to stick to steel for comfort reasons. Why are you leaning towards alu?
    Beware the hucking bear!

Enthusiast
    The Dew is not a bad choice but I would tend to stick to steel for comfort reasons. Why are you leaning towards alu?
    I was thinking more from the budget angle. The Dew can be had at a fairly inexpensive price. Plus, it's easy to find. That was pretty much my thinking.

The Punk Hucker
    The Smoke is the same price but steel. Would definitely be more comfortable...
    Beware the hucking bear!

Enthusiast
    The Smoke is the same price but steel. Would definitely be more comfortable...
    Good catch. I'd forgotten completely about that model. Not sure I ever realized it was steel either. The fenders are a nice touch too.

Bedwards Of The West
    If he's a total rookie he won't be able to feel the difference between steel and aluminum. I agree with you on the rigid 29er. Maybe some more street friendly tires, but big enough to give him some plushness. If he insists, and wants to pay for it, a suspension fork would be an easy addition.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

The Punk Hucker
    Well I've been looking at 29ers and I'm pretty sure he'll find them too expensive which lends me towards the Kona Smoke. Unless you know a cheap 29er rigid?
    Beware the hucking bear!

Bedwards Of The West
    There are a few on bikesdirect.com...I think pricepoint has a couple from On One...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

The Punk Hucker
    Yeah I'll check out local dealers instead of online so he has a place for maintenance or else I'll be stuck doing it...

I think the Kona Smoke is worthy at 480 CAD. Swap the tires to 2.0/2.1in 29ers for offroad use and you're set for XC riding.
    Beware the hucking bear!

Members who have read this thread: 0