Commuter bling- Mtbr.com

Thread: Commuter bling

mtbr member

Commuter bling

Okay, I know our commuter bikes aren't supposed to be flashy. They're usually what we call our "beater" bikes. Ugliness as a theft deterrent. Lately, however, I've been wanting to pimp my beater. It started with getting a decent set of Rhyno Lite wheels with XT hubs. Currently running on Bontrager Super Stock wheels with Bontrager hubs. Decent wheels but cosmetically it's bad. I wanted stronger wheels anyway. So while I'm upgrading the wheelset I decided that I want to add gold accents. GOLD? It's not my color but the summer heat is preventing from riding to work and I'm bored and want to make it ghetto fabulous. Getting GOLD lock-on grips, a GOLD bell, GOLD bolt/locking skewers, and GOLD pedals. I couldn't find a GOLD seatpost bolt binder so I settled with black (from JensonUSA). Of course, these are gonna be Ebay specials. I think it will look totally pimp. Bike is a 1998 GT Timberline that I got off CL a couple of years ago for $75. Made it into a dedicated city cruiser/errand runner/grocery-getter/commuter.

This is what it looks like now, though it currently has a Wald folding basket on the crank side of the rack. Waiting for parts to come in....

In the meantime, show me your commuter bling. I wannna see what ideas are out there.

weirdo
    None? I don`t have any shiny bling on my current commuter, but I was hoping to see some here anyway.

mtbr member
    My commuter rig is blinged with silver CK hubs, laced to silver salsa delgado cross rims and silver butted spokes. Awesome handbuilt wheelset which looks like any old crappy alu wheels to the untrained eye.

mtbr member
    Yep, bling to those in the know but ordinary to the intrained eye. I really dig the bikes that look simple in nature but have very nice and tasteful accents. Like an old hardtail with current components or expensive parts. Something about that.

dirtbag
    No bling on the commuter as it's mostly an old frame with mostly a parts bin build and I consider it a workhorse.

Bling is reserved for my SS.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    I use "bling" here loosely. I don't necessarily mean anodized CK hubs, Salsa skewers, 2-piece Hope rotors, carbon fiber SRAM X0 rear derailleur, etc. My commuter/beater is my workhorse in my stable, but I sorta want to dress it up a bit. Nothing with expensive parts. I'm getting ano bike stuff off Ebay. Can't beat lock-on grips with ano gold lock rings for $8.66 shipped. I know it's probably stupid to pimp a beater since it makes it more visible to thieves, and it's probably tacky. Gold ain't my thing, but I just got this crazy idea since I've not been riding the bike to work due to the heat.

The Rhyno Lite w/ XT wheelset is something I've been wanting to get anyway. Jenson has them for a tad under $150. I needed beefier wheels, mainly for the rear since I sometimes carry heavy groceries back there. I guess the wheelset isn't really bling, but on a beater, it's a big upgrade. Beats the cheap Bontrager wheelset I'm currently rolling on.

mtbr member
    this is my only bling, I dont like computers for commuting or watches on my wrist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commuter bling-p1040235.jpg  

F88me самолюбивый член

weirdo

Eye of the Beholder

These are some of the warm fuzzies I get from my commuter- not sure if anybody else would see them as bling, but it` the best I can do

1. The only XT (well, I still have the XT hub front wheel, but I use a dyno now) on any of my bikes past or present.
    2. Old logo Suginos. I thought it was totally awesome before the castle wore off. Still okay, but not quite the same.
    3. Suntour Superbe brake levers, top of the heap about 20 years ago. Yeah, I guess they loose a few points for those ratty-ass Shimano hoods. One of these days I`ll order new rubber.
    4. Stainless steel straddle cable hanges of my own design and manufacture.
    5. My beloved Cyo.

Saxon, that stem clock rocks!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon9598 View Post
    this is my only bling, I dont like computers for commuting or watches on my wrist.

I love wrist watches but damn that thing is sexy
    "Most people dislike vanity in others, whatever share they have of it themselves." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Here are my 2 "commuter" rides. First was purpose-built commuter/rain bike. Second wasn't intended to be a commuter, but it's too much fun to leave in the garage, and is the master of snowy winter commutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commuter bling-waterford-downtube-resize.jpg  

Commuter bling-waterford-frt-qtr-resize-2.jpg  

Commuter bling-bike-1-800x531-.jpg  

Commuter bling-frame-2-800x666-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Saxon: That watch on the headset is real nice! Was it an old watch that you fitted on or is this specifically designed for a headset top? Have a write-up on it? Kinda want to do something like that. I have a nice Swiss watch I no longer wear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    Saxon: That watch on the headset is real nice! Was it an old watch that you fitted on or is this specifically designed for a headset top? Have a write-up on it? Kinda want to do something like that. I have a nice Swiss watch I no longer wear.
    its a stem captain A friend of mine from Colorado (Robin from ProExotics) got it for me. I love it. I actually bought a second one for when this one gives up the ghost, but 2+ hard years later it still works and looks like it did when new. I haven't even taken the other one out of its egg.
    Last edited by Saxon9598; 07-22-2011 at 08:33 PM.
    F88me самолюбивый член