commuter beginner advice- Mtbr.com

Jul 2009

commuter beginner advice

I am in the process of moving to the downtown area of my city and will be using a bike as my primary means for transport. I will not be using it to go super long distances but will frequently use it each week.

I got a 06 Trek 7.2FX from my dad (he wasn't using it anymore and it fits me perfectly!)

I was hoping to get some advice on upgrades that I should consider early on that will pay off immediately.

Of course I have good lights on front / back and a nice U-lock w/ cable combo to keep my stuff safe.

I was thinking about a new handlebar/riser combo, fenders, and a rack above the rear tire. Am I on the right track?

Also would this product fit my bike ( a friend has a brand new one that wouldn't fit his and is willing to sell it for $50)
    http://skagitcyclecenter.com/itemdet...fm?LibId=39780

Thanks for helping me on my first post here!
    Last edited by mangbus; 07-19-2009 at 07:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Lights and fenders are recommended, but keep it simple. Don't tempt the thieves.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mangbus

I was thinking about a new handlebar/riser combo, fenders, and a rack above the rear tire. Am I on the right track?
    Hi. Welcome and good luck.

As far as the rack goes, you`re on MY track. I don`t like carrying a backpack if I can avoid it and much prefer rack, panniers, trailer, or WHATEVER to get it off my shoulders and away from my hot back. Other guys prefer messenger bags or backpacks- all a matter of prefferences. About the stem and bar, go for it if you think it`ll be more comfortable for you, othewise I say don`t bother. Fenders? As long as you can fit `em, it`s hard to go wrong. The amount of benefit they`ll give you depends on where you are, but the disadvantages are almost nil, they`re reasonably cheap, and if you don`t like them for some reason they`re easy enough to remove. I can`t say about the fork- I`ve heard of teh FX series, but I`m not sure just what it is. Like the bars, my general view is to leave things along unless there`s some problem I`m trying to cure. If you have a problem with the fork already on the bike (or if you just think it`s ugly ), it might be worth switching.

responsible zombie owner
    The FXs use V-brakes but I can't see any brake mounts on those forks. I doubt they're suited to the geometry of the FX series but no reason why you shouldn't see if they'd fit.

The only changes I'm thinking of making on my 7.5FX is adding some short, straight bar ends to give me a change of hand position, and putting on clipless pedals with a small platform to use when not riding with cycling shoes - ie my spare pair of Crank Brothers Smartys.

mtbr member
    Can't give any advice on the parts, for a commuter I just use whatever old parts I have lying around and as cheap a frame as possible so WHEN it get stolen I won't be too upset.

Some good advice I'll give though is........always be alert and aware that motorist DO NOT give a $hit about you, will pass you out and then throw on the brakes to make a turn directly infront you and think nothing of it, or pass you and then pull so close to the curb you can't pass, they will throw $hit out of windows (sometimes at you), curse you for "hogging" the road and in general try their best (it would seem) to try and get you off "their" roads.

ALWAYS RIDE LIKE EVERY PERSON IN A CAR IS OUT TO ASSASINATE YOU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Sorry mangbus....

that fork won't work on your FX easily. It is set up specifically for road type dual pivot brakes. The brakes for that fork attach through a hole at the top junction of the fork legs just below the steerer tube. There are no provisions on that fork for v-brakes. You could likely get the fork to work, but it would require the addition of a road brake, and a brake lever. Your current lever wouldn't work well as the cable pull ratios are different between v-brakes and road brakes.

As the others have said. Your'e on the right track. A set of fenders and a frame rack would both be useful additions. As far as bars, stems, etc. It would be better to give it a little time before you start with those type of upgrades or changes. It takes time to tell what needs to be changed. If the bike fits you now, give it a few rides before you start changing cockpit components. You may not need to.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

weirdo
    And try not to ride through LyNx`s neighborhood.

Jul 2009
    thanks everyone for the advice.. I'm gonna wait a bit for any major upgrades. Gonna swing by the shop tomorrow and pick some storage and fenders.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Don't forget spares tubes and simple tools to help u change a flat.

responsible zombie owner
    LyNx's sensible warnings aside, commuting can be great fun. For me, a day without cycling is like a day without sunshine and I look forward to my rides to work and back. You will notice big fitness and inner health benefits quickly.

mtbr member
    Glad someone see's that I was just trying to prepare the OP for the worst. Luckily so far I haven't had a bike stolen, but all the rest has happened to me, but as QB says..... commuting is a very nice way to get to wherever and beat the traffic. FYI, I think his commute is a "tad" different than any of ours though

Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    LyNx's sensible warnings aside, commuting can be great fun. For me, a day without cycling is like a day without sunshine and I look forward to my rides to work and back. You will notice big fitness and inner health benefits quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Definatly get the fenders and a rear rack. The fork is one of those "if only the components"would work things. You'll see many opportunities for stuff like that, but they just won't work with your "configuration" I don't know how many times an great opportunity came up but it just didn't work with my set up. It's good to be on the look out and you'll learn more about components this way and exactly what YOUR setup will take. Great questions and welcome!
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

Members who have read this thread: 0