Commute-Rain-Glasses- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Commute-Rain-Glasses

Does anyone ride in the rain with glasses on? I can't see more than three feet in front of me unless I have my glasses on or clear to see. I was wondering if there are any tricks to this or not. Does that RainX liquid designed for windshields work? Mini windshield/glass wipers?

Moderator Moderator
    I don't wear prescription glasses, but I have clear ones I wear in low light to keep the debris out of my eyes, and the visibility is definitely reduced in the rain. Worse is the fogging at stoplights. I don't have any wonder product for you, but I'm sure there is one that helps at least sheet off the water. I would look for something eyeglass specific though, since they are pretty pricey to replace. A cap under your helmet & pulled down just over your glasses may help too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Oakley makes some kind of solution or lens that repels water but I have no idea if that's expensive Rainx or not. I have not tried it and cannot comment on it other than that it exists. I'm sure there are other manufacturers that make a similar product.

http://www.oakley.com/innovation/opt...ty/hydrophobic

Fog only forms on my lens when stopped. Going even 2 or 3 MPH clears the fog up fairly quickly. I would say that a cheap anti-fogging solution is to rub on some soap and let it dry but it's at the cost of clarity -- I do this on a portion of my bathroom mirror.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    A cap under your helmet & pulled down just over your glasses may help too.
    This helps me.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I'll try that hat thing. Maybe I could find one of those cool late 80s early 90s biking caps!
    I was washing the cars this morning and thought using spray wax would do the trick. Helped a little but, nothing like what that Oakley stuff does. Which is what the Rain X is supposed to do. I'm going to buy the RainX stuff tonight and try it. Atleast if it doesn't work I can still use it on the car windows.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    This helps me.
    Another vote for the cap under the helmet. My cycling glasses have presecription inserts so I get the double whammy of rain getting in between the two lenses as well as on the outside lens. A cap under the helmet does the trick.

As for fogging, again, I get the double whammy as fog gets between the lenses when I stop. Sometimes I can clear it out by pulling the glasses down a bit and letting the air flow clear it out while I ride but it doesn't always work. On my list of "stuff to buy" is cycling glasses with prescription lenses so I can ditch the inserts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Does a helmet visor do the same as the cap brim?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I wore glasses for 15 years, and finally got laser eye surgery last winter. The biggest benefit is the clear vision in the rain, and lack of fogging.

I got dumped on by a big storm cloud the other day on my ride home. Was wearing a 661 Recon helmet with a visor. Tip the visor down a tiny bit more than normal and the rain doesn't get in my eyes. I nearly drowned from all the water running down my nose into my mouth though!

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by jseko
    Does a helmet visor do the same as the cap brim?
    I can't comment on it being "the same" as I do not own a cap with a brim. However, I have a helmet with a visor for these wet Oregon winters and it works great.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    NOPE. I put my contacts on. Can't worry about glasses fogging up.

Members who have read this thread: 0