Commute "meditation"; podcasts or other?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Commute "meditation"; podcasts or other?

For the longest time, I was anti-headphones while riding - figuring you're missing out on the moment by listening to music or whatever.

However, I've been using the Headspace app quite a bit lately and have listened to the Cycling single on a few commutes and have really-really enjoyed it. It adds a whole other dimension to my commute and I actually arrive at work more ready to be productive and at home having calmed myself from the stresses of the day.

The problem is the max length is 10 minutes and my commute is closer to 45 each way, does anyone have any good suggestions for similar apps or podcasts that add a different element to commutes and riding in general and are closer to 30-45 min in length?

FWIW - my commute is entirely on greenbelt, so safety and situational awareness are less pressing issues than when on the road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ah, OK, I was going to say I wouldn't dream of listening to device on my commute. I need to be on my A game and stay alert, constantly scanning side streets, keep aware of things coming up behind.

mtbr member
    Wind noise and breathing...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Like books on CD when driving, you have to avoid titles that take too much attention, shut it off when traffic warrants. I have limited bike paths where a podcast might be feasible but the road crossings need 100% attention, so have not bothered. It is a no go for 95% of my riding so I have nothing for you. I notice that the MP3 book CD's I own are loadable to a phone, and a blue tooth single ear piece would at least leave one ear to the road.