Commutant mods- Mtbr.com

Thread: Commutant mods

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Commutant mods

Cause it needed to be done, bring it all; tech info, eyebrow-raising "really?! that fits?!" moments, general commuter cleverness.
    We've all stepped forward and made something work out of something else, let's hear (and see) what you've found that'll help the next casual cyclist become a serious commuter.

last night's lightbulb moment:
    Trek Pilot 1.0, cheap and easy to find, got one for the wife a couple years ago, she loves it, it's been geared, ghetto ss'd, but generally kept close to stockish.

So the pull-offs from my new steelwool include a campy mirage 10 speed group, and beefier touring wheels. Eyebrow got raised, quick shuffle...
    So it turns out you CAN fit 35mm marathons in a trek pilot that came stock with 28's.
    About 3mm on the sides all around, more on chain and seat-stay bridges, fork's got loads of room.

So if you find one for a couple hunskis, rest assured there's room in there for real tough tires that will SERIOUSLY broaden the bike's range of uses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commutant mods-p3053449.jpg  

If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

wife's 'muter until I finish her trek again.

2nd hand 29er frames are a cheap source of lightweight disc-compatible commuters! LOL

she'd been on drops for too long to switch to flats, easton pursuit bars split the difference, bar-cons are 8 speeds, wheels are MY bright velocitys with 35mm small block 8's.
    avid "road" bb's actually don't work very well when hooked up to cane creek v-compatible levers... pretty wooden for me.
    everything else is pretty basic, misfit fork to try and keep the stock geo/ground clearance because it DOES get ridden offroad on the weekends (sometimes)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commutant mods-p3053451.jpg  

The Brutally Handsome
    Don't look now, but I think a shuttlecraft landed in your bottle cage!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

kid's commuter!!

lime green 2.2" Kiniption tires running at low psi for squish, lambskin cushion, waterproof poncho dug under in the front and pulled up across the bottom foot of the trailer as I found this MEC trailer isn't actually water-repellent (never mind waterproof) and buying a waterproof poncho is cheaper than buying a new trailer!
    blinkies... EVERYWHERE!
    tire valve blues ones on both sides, big knog on the back with a whole whack of modes.
    2 or 3 smaller knogs and MEC turtles get added on the back depending on how dark it gets.

I went for VISIBLE. Bright orange on lime green tires with blinking in every direction except towards my butt... Need a blinking flagpole... wrap it with string lights? hrmmmm!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commutant mods-p3053456.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    2 Sizzler: LOL umm, yeah it's a stashbox of sorts, fits multi-tool, 8mm crank allen, 15mm wheel wrench (a real 8" stanley), beanie for cold snaps, pen and sharpie (wait till YOU get involved in an accident and the cop's pen runs dry!)
    and the aforementioned spare blinkies are stuffed in the bottom somewhere I'm sure...

Members who have read this thread: 0