Colorado SUV Road Rage Asshattery- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

Natural Born Killer
    Stuff like that is why I say a silent little thank you to all the drivers who do move over and give me space!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

since 4/10/2009
    I get treated better than that on the roads in TEXAS of all places. home of the giant pickup truck. invariably, EVERYBODY gives me a whole lane or more if there's space to do so.

Ridin' Furry
    That is the type of driver that might take it to the next level and hurt/kill some one on the road. Hope they filed a report.

I have had a SUV cut in front of me and slam on his brakes. Road was WIDE open, that stunt was not fun.

Short-Change-Hero
    Those are the people that give bicyclists a bad name because you know that somehow he/she is connected and is raising hell. Now if the guys were riding side-by-side and chatting that is one thing but if they are observing the laws of the road and pulling to the side as slower traffic (most states do not state they have to completely halt their forward movement in the Slow moving vehicle articles) then they are doing as they are supposed to. What this person is, is completely ignorant or uneducated.

In the State of Nevada a cycllist has FULL RANGE of all roadways and lanes, within acceptable safety standards. Thus, if you are on a one lane road you are supposed to observe the laws of the road as though you were a slow moving vehicle. This also applies to those around you, such that a driver behind you can/should use the complete other lane (enabling them to cross a double yellow if necessary) to give you acceptable room WHEN SAFE.

I recently took a RISK ASSESSMENT: Drivers Training class for my state employment and just about got into a heated argument because one of the older women in class stated "...they [cyclist] just don't understand. I have a 3000lbs+ car that I have to handle, so they should get out of the way." My response, "Ma'am I'm sorry you feel that way but if you can't handle your 3000lbs+ car, then you are welcome to have someone drive you over to the DMV office or Sheriff's office and surrender you license. Because truthfully you shouldn't be on the road." The instructor about spit his coffee out trying not to laugh, needless to say the woman was not happy with me when I went on to say "Just because I choose to be health and ride a bike to work vs. pay the high gas prices we have right now does not mean that gives you the right to run me off the road when you can acceptably wait and pass safely or be an extra minute late to work/the salon/etc."

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    I recently took a RISK ASSESSMENT: Drivers Training class for my state employment and just about got into a heated argument because one of the older women in class stated "...they [cyclist] just don't understand. I have a 3000lbs+ car that I have to handle, so they should get out of the way." My response, "Ma'am I'm sorry you feel that way but if you can't handle your 3000lbs+ car, then you are welcome to have someone drive you over to the DMV office or Sheriff's office and surrender you license. Because truthfully you shouldn't be on the road." The instructor about spit his coffee out trying not to laugh, needless to say the woman was not happy with me when I went on to say "Just because I choose to be health and ride a bike to work vs. pay the high gas prices we have right now does not mean that gives you the right to run me off the road when you can acceptably wait and pass safely or be an extra minute late to work/the salon/etc."
    +rep for that response. I complained about a defensive driving instructor at a class I had to take in order to drive state vehicles a few years ago, who told the drivers to honk their horn at bicyclists when they are about to pass. I mentioned in class that honking at a bicyclist is apt to scare said bicyclist so they'll swerve into traffic, and then wrote a complaint about the instructor in my course evaluation.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    My blood pressure went up just watching that video. I would not have been as patient with the driver as those riders were.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    My favorite comment:

"For every person who follows cyclists and lays on their horn, there are 1500 cyclists who blows through red lights and ride in packs at 15 mph in a 35mph zone."

And for every 1500 cyclists who blow through red lights, there are 25,000 drivers who blow through red lights.

mtbr member
    I don't know what I would have done in that situation: stop and confront the driver, or continue to ride serenely knowing that the driver's blood pressure is going through the roof!

Still want a fat bike....
    That's a tough one to consider. I have no idea what I would have done. Depends on the day I guess. I am not a tough guy and never have been in a fight, but I would have given him the finger and yelled at him.

I hate comments in stories like those because all the ignorance comes out in the people who hate bikes.
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

Natural Born Killer
    This story has now hit the national news scene. I'm guessing if 2 cyclists on an empty road make this fella that angry, his head will explode when the rest of the world comes beating on his door with news cameras. I love how his license plate number is plastered all over the internet, but the news show I saw this on today blurred the plate.
    Last edited by nemhed; 09-19-2012 at 07:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Maybe this will actually be some good press for cycling. 2 cyclists being responsible and riding as far over as they can. People can see the kind of crap we deal with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Maybe this will actually be some good press for cycling. 2 cyclists being responsible and riding as far over as they can. People can see the kind of crap we deal with.
    Amen. I'm no lane hogger (well, maybe when I'm riding with a friend or group), but I do my best to make way for traffic, going as far right as safely possible.

I've almost been cutoff a handful of times. My best solution is running daytime running lights and having an Airzound handy for those close calls.

And wow, that SUV driver was definitely harassing the cyclists on the road.

If I were in that situation, I would've more than just blasted my Airzound. Record license plate, pull over off of road, call state highway patrol, report dangerous/incompetent driver.

But I sure hope that SUV driver gets at least some points on their license...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    unfortunately, Straz, I don't think this is going to change anyone's mind. the ones who hate bicyclists already will see bicyclists and get angry. the ones who don't will see the asshat for what he is.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    unfortunately, Straz, I don't think this is going to change anyone's mind. the ones who hate bicyclists already will see bicyclists and get angry. the ones who don't will see the asshat for what he is.
    Yeah agreed, unfortunately this will only cause undo stress for cyclists because we will be seen as "big whiny babies" after such an instance goes viral.

Media and law enforcement will show up at the guy/girls house and they will get a reprimanding. Unfortunately, nothing happened that will be "pressable" charges-wise to influence the driver against doing this again. More than likely this persons "asshatery" will be nothing more than a slap on the wrist and a stern "DON'T DO THAT AGAIN".

I want to ride down the road with a pole sticking 3' from my side straight out, a small flag on it that says "If you think you will hit this pole then wait to pass."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    I want to ride down the road with a pole sticking 3' from my side straight out, a small flag on it that says "If you think you will hit this pole then wait to pass."
    Could get one of these:

since 4/10/2009
    I have been having non-cycling friends send me links to articles about this video today on Facebook. Nobody has accompanied the link with any comments, so I'm not entirely sure where they all stand on the issue.

One friend, I can guess she's supportive of cyclists having rights on the road. I was riding in the car with her recently when a cyclist pulled an asshat traffic maneuver (a guy with an Xtracycle and several blinkies) and I cursed his asshat move, and then chewed out a teenager in the backseat (my friend is a youth group leader) for suggesting my friend do something even more asshattish to the cyclist.

My father, OTOH, will probably wind up like the old fart in this SUV (one article I read said the guy is something like 72). Anytime it comes up that I ride a bicycle on the road sometimes, my father goes on a rant about someone who was riding where he thinks they should not have been.

mtbr member
    BOULDER - The Colorado State Patrol has identified and cited a motorist who is seen on a YouTube video allegedly harassing a group of cyclists in Lafayette.

James Ernst, 75 of Erie, is facing two charges of harassment, one charge of impeding the flow of traffic, and improper use of a horn.

Related Story: Video shows motorist harassing cyclists

The video shows the driver of an SUV driving dangerously close to two cyclists who say they were riding as far right as they possibly could. The driver was also honking his horn and refusing to pass for more than five minutes. Troopers say the SUV driver was Ernst.

Troopers say they worked with victims and witnesses to find and correctly charge the alleged driver.
    Without rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other. Red Foreman - That 70's show.

Members who have read this thread: 0