cold weather pedal options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

cold weather pedal options

So i've commuted in the cold many times before crank bros and winter cycling boots, however the latest commute is shorter and clipping in wouldn't be crucial. so in an effort to save some time, i'm going to wear my hikers.

what pedal system works well ? go with straps ? strapless ? or should I just man up and deal with the extra minute or two and wear my cycling boots clipless.

sorry if this is an amateur topic, i just need some guidance from the folks who know.

(for the record, the climate where I live, on an island in the north atlantic, is -15c ish, damp, snowy, and icy)

thanks for the helps folks.

Moderator Moderator
    It's not an amateur topic, but you will find as many opinions as options. I run platform pedals with removable pins (deity's) & 5-10 shoes, a super-sticky combo that I also find warmer than clipless. 12-16mi round trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Gusset Pinhead Pedals with lightweight/warm winter boots (Merrill Tundra). Nice cheap and effective setup for snow, and the pedals are great year-round.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

weirdo
    Unless you have very small feet, you might not be able to find toe clips that your boots fit into easilly. PowerGrips will work (get the big size) if you really want to be stuck well to the pedals, but pinned pedals stick surprisingly well. There are a lot of models available at every price range, but I think the differences between one model and the next are pretty minor.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the insight. . . .

and to clarify, you just run standard flats, no "cages" added to keep your feet from going forward ? no straps ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No straps, flat mountain biking or bmx pedals are what I used to use on the mountain bike before switching to spds and what I use commuting during the cold when I don't want to wear light-weight cycling shoes. Straps or clips will help with the power transfer but your feet should stay on the pedal just fine with a decent set of flats even in the ice and snow.

jrm
    mtbr member

Move?

j/k. If its -15c i think id stick with the boots and get a couple of huskies to pull me to work...MUSH

weirdo
    Same as Tony for me. Just to be sure we`re on the same page, since I`m not positive that`s what you mean by "standard" flats, I use the pinned type, not smooth. Pretty sure most other flat pedal riders without toe clips are using that kind also.

Might find something helpful here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/fav...ng-742044.html

Bedwards Of The West
    What island in the north Atlantic? That might affect my choice of pedals I mean, if you have access to a club and a baby seal, you could fashion some sort of a 'foot pogie' thing and stick with the clipless.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    hahahaha. great reply!
    and given that the island is the island of Newfoundland your comment is spot on. People do seal occasionally off the northern shores and we are commonly in the news for the seal hunt . . . but for the record, the vast majority of the islanders here will never see a seal in their lifetime . . .

is buachail foighneach me
    I switch back and forth between regular lake winter boots and time pedals(clipess) and big platforms and winter boots. Both should work fine down into the -15c to -30c range for under 3 hours. If it gets much colder than -30c, and/or you're out for more than 3 or so hours, clipless gets a lot more complicated. You either need to run winter boots several sizes too big with a bootie inside them or construct a cramp-on style clipless attachment. Or you could just continue using flat pedals and warm boots.

mtbr member
    I've commuted through several Canadian winters. For a 10km each way commute in Ottawa (where there is a ton of snow, and it's often -25c), I used normal clipless shoes, wool socks, and these MEC shoe covers.

MEC Cycling Shoe Covers (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

However, I've now seen the light of BMX type pedals, and that is absolutely what I would run in those conditions again. I commute in Toronto now, where it's nowhere near as cold or snowy, but I love my platform pedals. If I were you, I would rock some basic BMX pedals (with the little metal pins - not the moulded in ones), and some warm hikers. Done!

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ OOh, anyone know where to get those in the states, to avoid the international shipping?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Alright, You all have me convinced to go the platform/winter boot way. I used to race mtb and a little road from time to time so clipless is ingrained in my head, but all of your rationales make sense. SSSasky, your Ottawa commutes would be similar condition wise, and if you wouldve gone the bmx pedal route in hindsight, I will do that from the get go.

also, directed at sean, thanks for the insight on the longer rides. This is something that I will be doing apart from the commuting. Just built up a fatback and have access to hundreds of kms of groomed trails starting from my back yard. There will be many a day of 3+hours in the minus 15s and colder.
    looks like both bikes will be switching to platforms, not just the commuter.

again, thanks for the insight everyone. I appreciate it.

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    I commuted in Saskatchewan winters for years. Good boots and flat pedals were the ticket.

I found that plastic pedals didn't suck the heat out of your foot as much, but don't have good grip with a bit of snow on your boots.

I did this: put metal pins in plastic pedals but started with odyssey twisted pc, worked pretty well.

There are now metal pinned plastic pedals made by a few companies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    When there is ice on the ground I take the SPD pedals off and use big bmx platform pedals. Being fastened to the bike when the front end goes out can hurt!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've been riding in winter for years and have been using BMX/DH pedals, winter boots( I like cheap rubber toe boots) with boot sized power grips. The power grips bolt right onto the pedal and work very well. I can't afford the clippless boots and I suspect that my method is warmer as I don't have a heat sink bolted to my boot. In the spring I switch to clipless and covers(actually I just use duct tape).

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    my winter/ice bike I have CB 50/50's although in truth any metal flat of your choice will be fine, these just have a big surface with pins not as aggressively long as other flats I have on other bikes. Footwear..I have Kamik Champlain winter boots. Easy a put on and take off, grippy sole, all around awesome winter boot. Light yet winter rugged, comfortable as can be, warm. Secure as I often find myself trail riding with them also with full confidence...not a shoe made with that mission in mind but it works sweetly.