Coffee on the commute- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Coffee on the commute

Anyone else an addict? I think the thought of having a nice hot coffee while riding in below freezing temps would be awesome. What if anything are you guys transporting this nectar in to be able to drink and ride, that fits in a standard bottle holder?

Moderator Moderator
    If you don't mind a thermos/cup combo instead of a cup you can sip, you need a thermos from Liquid Solutions. When I had a bike/bus commute I drank it at the bus stop or on the bus. Piping hot no matter the temps, as long as you pre-heat it by filling with hot water for a few before swapping it for the coffee. Fits a regular bottle cage if your frame fits the longer bike bottlers LIQUID SOLUTIONS Wave Vacuum Bottle - Eastern Mountain Sports The blue scrapes off so plain silver may look newer longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I occasionally run into a lady at Starbucks who rides with her coffee using a cup holder.

mtbr member
    I have one of these babies. It has a button on top to open/close it. When it's closed, it won't leak at all. It also happens to fit in a water bottle holder pretty well.

CB of the East

Every Day

A vacuum sealed is a must if you ride in the cold and want the coffee to stay hot. This one: Innate Kaze (handle comes off) is the best I've found. Slips in the bottle cage or my back pocket when I ride my bike with no cage. A few silicon bracelets keep if from rattling around too much. This is what it looks like after a year.
    Coffee on the commute-2013-01-30-08.34.17.jpg
    Well, there's one good thing about this new format, you can put text after an attachment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just recently bought a vacuum bottle/cup (the same one pictured in bedwards' post, from LLBean) and I'm amazed at how hot it keeps my drinks. I've burned my mouth with coffee poured 6 hours before. It's actually become its own nuisance: if I don't make sure the coffee is cool enough before leaving it'll be too hot to drink until I get home again.

CB of the East
    ^^True but @ about zero F it has cooled off quite a bit by the time I get to work (non vacuum mugs actually freeze). The LL Bean one and the one I linked to at Amazon are the same mug. If you buy it on Amazon it comes with the handle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'd rather have the LL Bean warranty, assuming that's offered on the cup, than a handle. The outside of the cup stays cool because it's an insulator, that's no big deal. I've known LL Bean to replace things that are blatantly destroyed without even batting an eye.

Bedwards Of The West
    I used to carry a 'bullet' style thermos that I got at starbucks...something like this:
    Amazon.com: Thermos Nissan FBB1000P6 34-Ounce Stainless-Steel Vacuum Insulated Briefcase Bottle: Kitchen & Dining

But then I finally just got a coffee pot at work... I wasn't drinking it on the ride anyway, and it was one more thing to carry.

That said, I have one of these cups, and they are incredible... all the crazy 'keep it hot' properties, plus the easy button thing to take a quick sip. I'll fill it with hot coffee at 5:00am, drink some on the way to go snowboarding, leave it in the cold jeep, ride all day, and enjoy hot leftovers on the way back down the hill.
    Anything by Contigo with their 'autoseal' top...there are a few styles.

Amazon.com: Contigo AUTOSEAL Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler, 16 Ounces, Green: Kitchen & Dining
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Does the Contigo fit in a bottle cage?

Bedwards Of The West
    Might be too fat. Between my wife and I we have 2 styles of those cups...I will check tonight if I remember...

weirdo
    For me, it`s coffee before I leave and coffee when I arrive, dry en route. I don`t have any insulated bottles that will fit my cages, but have made a few comedic attempts at meandering around the streets with a plain old paper or plastic coffe cup in one hand. Not recomended as a daily activity. In fact, I`m in Bedwards`s Coffee Catastrophe club (beat him to it, actually) for drenching myself with the stuff while walking, so I really have no business trying to drink it while riding

I`ve seen some bike specific cup+holder systems from time to time. I guess the fact that all the options presented here are GP rather than "Cycling Gear" says something.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Well, there's one good thing about this new format, you can put text after an attachment.
    Good to know.

EDIT: But what happened to the spell check that I was so happy about this morning ? Damn!
    Recalculating....

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^Does the Contigo fit in a bottle cage?
    Ok, I finally checked. The one in the link I posted ( the kind of curvy one) is what my wife has. it fits very nicely in a standard bottle cage. Nicely snug, not going anywhere. I'd get paintless stainless because its going to get rubbed off. It would probably do even better in a tall bottle cage, but fits good in a standard one.

Mine is the other model...more straight, and with a rubber ring around the bottom. That style doesn't work in a bottle cage.

HTH...

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Thanks. I may go back to coffee hauling again occasionally when my office moves again and the commute partly rejoins the bus route.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I use a mug from Stanley nineteen13 model, it design to fit in a bottle cage. It does fit perfectly into a bottle cage.

ShopStanley-pmi.com*:* Thermalware

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have 2 of these stainless OXO mugs that I've been using for over 3 years now, they work great. Having a spare makes it nice for those days I forget one at work! I recently added a Relevate mountain feed bag and it has become the ideal sub-freezing temp coffee commute coozie! I've tested it down to -11F so far and my coffee is still super hot by the time I get to work.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

Professional Amateur

best keep it hot mug

This mug is super well-insulated. I make hot coffee then ride to work and it's still so hot I have to pour it into a cup to drink it when I get to work. If you want to ride and sip you can open the flip top lid one handed, just make your coffee a little cooler or let it cool off before putting the lid on in the morning. I put an old sock around the lower half and that keeps it snug in my bottle cage with no rattle. A beer koozie would work as well. The lid has a small locking ring you can flip up to keep the lid from accidentally opening on rougher roads etc. It will not leak even upside down with the lid closed. The only drawback (if you can call it that) is the fact it keeps your coffee so hot for so long. Once it does cool down a bit the mug is easy to drink from one handed.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So far this combo has worked out the best. PDW Barista with a OXO Mug

Name:  8509649831_49bd5fe2ca.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  100.7 KB

mtbr member
    I tried a small paper cup from the local coffee shop but after spilling it all over and burning myself I switched to the stainless vacuum type too. When it's really cold I throw one of my gore shoe loners over it, still piping hot when I get to work!
    Feel the Bern!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0