co-worker rant- Mtbr.com

Thread: co-worker rant

I need skills
    Jul 2004

co-worker rant

I posted the below in my daily log, but thought it interesting enough to create a new post. i am assuming others have had a similar experience. Thoughts?

Yesterday a co-worker came into my office and with a lecturing tone said, "Are trying to get killed? Dashing in and out of traffic on Bluemond Rd, that is not safe."

"I don't ride on Bluemound I replied, that was not me, and that is not how I ride."

"But it was a bike, so it was you," she answered.

WTF was my thought. "How many people have you told this story to," I asked?

"3".

After a few light-hearted exchanges I asked, "Please go to each of them and tell them you were mistaken, that was not me, I don't ride on that road and I don't have death wish, thanks." She said she would.

That was a weird exchange. I recall something similar with a differ co-worker 7 years ago and I had forgotten it.

If this ever happens again, I am simply going to exclaim, "Oh my god, are you okay? The way you were driving __________, the cars honking I thought for sure some road rager was gonna track you down..." The reply I'll expect will be confusion, followed by, "I don't drive there, it wasn't me...." To which I'll say, "But it was a car, it had to have been you..."

I'll post the results here, if it happens.

since 4/10/2009
    that's truly bizarre.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I went riding yesterday and saw a deer. It was a deer, so it must have been Bambi

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson View Post
    "But it was a bike, so it was you," she answered.
    Sometimes the logic is just irrefutable.

Truly a bizarre incident.

mtbr member
    It makes me wonder about all the bikes she does not see or at least remember seeing that aren't being ridden insanely, so that she thinks the only cyclist she saw who made an impression is the only cyclist she knows.

I head a similar story before. I had two reactions after the wave of illogic finally washed over me. One was the I saw a bad driver and it must be you, as you said. The other was to ask details of what sort of bike, clothing, size of rider etc. With a Nope, not me at each detail. Makes you wonder about eye-witness accounts, doesn't it?

BrianMc

AKA. Molasses
    Aug 2006

maybe ...

Maybe she meant that she saw you in this other rider, and that she was concerned about the safety of ALL riders due to the intrinsic dangers of commuting in traffic...

...OR... she was just being a b****.

J

Human Test Subject
    She sounds kinda slow. Does she have a real job or does she show up and play legos?

weirdo
    That`s funny!
    I haven`t had exactly that, but people do feel the need to tell me every time they see a bike in an unexpected place or see any bike that they think is some earth shattering new design.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    I have a friend who's blind. He gets stuff like the OP all the time. Every time he ride a cab the driver goes out of his way to adjust the seat to give my friend extra leg room for some odd reason, then continues to insist that he rode with my friend two weeks earlier because that guy had a cane too. Other people make an effort to speak really loud and clear when they see that my friend is blind.

Swedetarded
    Falcon Punch is appropriate in this situation.

Blue Pig
    Maybe I'm being sexist although I favor women more than men but women are becoming VERY aggressive these days. They lash out quicker than men and always doing something stupid while driving. I bet she just saw the frame and said "It's that ******* at work. I'm going to start trouble because I want to feel important!!!" even though she was playing with her hair and/or cellphone/texting. You should of asked her to describe the bike.
    Ragley Blue Pig

jrm
    mtbr member

You know

it may have not had anything to do with bike riding? Steer clear my friend...steer clear.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks View Post
    Maybe I'm being sexist although I favor women more than men but women are becoming VERY aggressive these days. They lash out quicker than men and always doing something stupid while driving. I bet she just saw the frame and said "It's that ******* at work. I'm going to start trouble because I want to feel important!!!" even though she was playing with her hair and/or cellphone/texting. You should of asked her to describe the bike.
    I've noticed a trend of women becoming more aggressive drivers lately, too.

where I live, the really ones driving overly careful tend to be the elderly and the guys in their pickup trucks. I will say I'm impatient regarding slowpokes and I don't hesitate to pass them, but I top out at the speed limit. I am happiest when I am able to cruise at the speed limit. the people I see passing me most often...women in fancy cars/SUV's...a good number of them distracted.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    "Are trying to kill me? Passing so close to me and then right hooking me on Bluemond Rd, that is not safe."

"I don't drive on Bluemound she replied, that was not me, and that is not how I drive."

"But it was a car, so it was you," I answered...

Try that one out on her and see how she likes it

directionless white male
    Mar 2008
    I had a situation where my boss's boss saw me riding in a bike lane when an impatient driver honked at me while turning into a gas station. She, boss boss, asked me why I waited so long to move out of the way. this is
    Disclaimer: I ride really slow.

Blue Pig
    You should of asked her why the stupid question. People really are annoying...

You commuters are true warriors.
    Ragley Blue Pig

I'm SUCH a square....
    OP, sounds like she was channeling a two-wheel variation of I AM LEGEND........
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Oh, my corworkers.....one, who's a buddy of sorts was mocking my skinniness a few weeks back when he saw me in tights.

When I said 'better then a heart condition' he decided to keep it up. I really tire of the 'skinny' crap some days. F-bombs were dropped by me, and he got it, finally..... The guy's 100 lbs over weight, swills beer like a pig, has a hernia, diverticulitus, and lives on blood pressure meds.

I'm a trucker, so my work culture is pretty redneck.....

The only reason I don't get more greif is the 180 km I commute each week if I ride in every day. To you guys the distance isn't much, but the coworkers think I'm nuts (and in shape)

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by clarence View Post
    I had a situation where my boss's boss saw me riding in a bike lane when an impatient driver honked at me while turning into a gas station. She, boss boss, asked me why I waited so long to move out of the way.
    I've had this and the OP's situation. For a while there, everyone I knew kept telling me they saw me at location X, Y, and Z. They honk, but "I" ignored them. This was decades ago when riding a bike (a kid's toy) made you weird. Now that it's more like golf, it's not as bad.

IMHO, this is a social status situation and if you flip it back into their face like they so richly deserve it mostly goes over their head. What needs to change in these people's heads is so big the snarky wierdo that rides to work isn't going to do it. The only thing I can say is "It wasn't me."

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Lol don't worry it takes the brain two hours to be fully awake after deep sleep.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    Now that it's more like golf, it's not as bad.
    Like golf? They both make you broke?

mtbr member
    I've had co-workers say that they "thought they saw me" and then realized it was someone else. I guess I have it good! Some people do pay attention

mtbr member
    I had a friend tell me they saw a guy on a bike giving the two handed, double bird to a big truck on Telegraph road.

Busted.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    I had a friend tell me they saw a guy on a bike giving the two handed, double bird to a big truck on Telegraph road.

Busted.....
    The Tour de France Victory salute with Big Bird mods? Did he say he had video?

BrianMc.

Members who have read this thread: 0