Clyco Crosser into Commuter !- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Clyco Crosser into Commuter !

Hi Folks, just in case anyone else is thinking of converting a CX bike into a commuter then this is how it'll look....

It was a Kona Jake, drop bars replaced with flats, carbon barends ( don't get as cold as alloy on the chilly mornings ) Magua HS33 brakes ( less maintenance ) sks fenders ( had to make custom mounts for the front fork as the carbon fork had no tabs ), 28c tyres and a topeak rack. Great bike for getting me to work and back, 30 mile round trip.

let me know what you think
    Last edited by pmorrise; 04-28-2009 at 12:56 PM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean, if Pac Man affected us as
    kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and
    listening to repetitive music."

No-Brakes Cougar
    Looks good mate. Some people love their drops, but flat bars are the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Ska
    Steel is real.
    I am about to do the same thing to my Cross Check whenever I get around to it. The addition of a new baby is spreading my "free time" mighty thin.

Anyway, all parts are lined up and ready. We'll see when I'm able to convert. Commutes are the only rides I get at present!

Your bike looks good!
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Looks good mate. Some people love their drops, but flat bars are the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.
    Midge, the best of both worlds

BIG and Bald
    I did a similar conversion with my Specialized Tricross...however my nephew wanted to start riding and work up towards triathalons so I put all the stock stuff back on and gave it to him a couple of months ago (the only time he's not on the bike is when he's in his classes). The MTB bars made a WORLD of difference. I'll definitely do it again.

"Don't neever gave up..."

bi-winning
    I love my drop bars on my cross bike. The bars are quite high (lots of steer tube on fork), and I like to have the 3 positions, so that I can adapt to what direction the wind is coming from.

https://i292.photobucket.com/albums/...t/DSCF0820.jpg
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I rode a mtb with flat bars for about 6 months (28 mi round trip) before buying a Redline Conquest CX bike. I love the drop bars though I spend most of my time on the hoods. It's nice to have the options.

The main reason I went with the Conquest is because it was pretty much the only real aluminum frame road bike I could find with disc brake tabs. I'll get some pix up eventually.

Why aluminum? I live in Oregon and ride pretty much year round. I've had the rust issue before and just didn't want to deal with it. Between the discs, and Al frame it should last a good long time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    I rode a mtb with flat bars for about 6 months (28 mi round trip) before buying a Redline Conquest CX bike. I love the drop bars though I spend most of my time on the hoods. It's nice to have the options.

The main reason I went with the Conquest is because it was pretty much the only real aluminum frame road bike I could find with disc brake tabs. I'll get some pix up eventually.

Why aluminum? I live in Oregon and ride pretty much year round. I've had the rust issue before and just didn't want to deal with it. Between the discs, and Al frame it should last a good long time.
    I use the Conquest CX and have thought of putting discs on it. What kind of wheelset do you use?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_S
    I use the Conquest CX and have thought of putting discs on it. What kind of wheelset do you use?
    My LBS had several sets of Bontrager Select Disc wheel sets that they got a special buy on. They seem to be holding up pretty well.

Also, if you are using brifters, make sure you get the BB7 Road disc brakes (not just the standard BB7s). They have a shorter pull. If you get the regular ones, the brifters will hit the handlebars before the brakes engage.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    WOW for a sec I thought those were a set of my wooden fenders, thought you were Seth from UTAH...lol
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    I have a '08 Jake as my commuter. I left everything stock except tires. Put some 40c Kenda Breakers on it. I like my drop bars as well.
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

mtbr member
    cheers for the replies folks ( FireBallKY, that speci looks great ! ), drops or flats, personal preference I'd say, but CX frame for a commuter all the way ! its just so functional from the point of view of size of tires (skinny or fat ) racks / fenders and bars, can all be set up, where on a road bike, no real option on wider wheels and fenders, and 26" wheels don't roll as well on the road as the lager wheels on the CX bike

Ska... I hear ya ! have a 10 month old son so my week is 3 commutes to work and 4 hour ride Sunday morning. no more time for long summer evening spins any more, but I wouldn't change it for the world !
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean, if Pac Man affected us as
    kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and
    listening to repetitive music."

MTT
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I love my drop bars on my cross bike. The bars are quite high (lots of steer tube on fork), and I like to have the 3 positions, so that I can adapt to what direction the wind is coming from.

https://i292.photobucket.com/albums/...t/DSCF0820.jpg
    I will second that. I commute on a Tri Cross, and with fat 35 tires, it works great for a short commute................MTT

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm another with a Jake set up for commuting.

I've kept it stock at this point (except the tires, but I'm training for a long ride) and added a rack, panniers and a rack bag. Personally, I like the drops with the aux. brake levers...lots of positions for changing it up but still being able to stop in a hurry if needed. I've also thrown on "deflector shields" for front and rear fenders.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009
    Awesome.

Members who have read this thread: 0