Clothing - Pack, leave at work, or don't change?- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: What do you with your changes of clothes?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I pack a different set of clothing everyday to work.

20 47.62%
  • I pack a change of clothing early in the week, then leave those clothes at work.

15 35.71%
  • I don't have to change after my morning bike commute.

7 16.67%
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

Clothing - Pack, leave at work, or don't change?

3 years ago I had a job in another Pennsylvanian city that was only 2 miles from my house and a 10 minute ride. I could ride to work faster than driving, and I really enjoyed it. It made me feel like part of the community.

2 years ago I moved back home to other side of Pennsylvania without a job, and unfortunately found a great job 40 minutes away. Personal reasons had me deal with the caged commute until a better opportunity arose.

Now I'm moving out to Flagstaff, AZ for an even better job, and I've got the opportunity to commute to work again, with a few differences.

1) The ride is 9.5 miles on dirt.
    2) Morning temps are chilly.
    3) The office doesn't have a locker room or shower.

So I'm back to storing clothes and shoes at work.

I'm curious, how many of your packing your clothing with you everday? How many leave a change of clothes at work? How many are lucky enough not to have to change at all?
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member

Clothing - Pack, leave at work, or don't change?

I wear bike gear and bring a back pack of food and clothes, get to work and shower and change. Luckily my office has a shower and a small gym with lockers. My old office i would shower in the am, still wear bike stuff, get to work and change.

Either way works. My office is screwed, they cant figure out the mexhanical and at times of the day its so hot im as sweaty as after biking anyways.

I also keep shoes and bathroom stuff at work as well
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I pack a change almost every day which isn't a big deal with a rear rack and trunk bag. There are a few times in the "delusional bliss" seasons where I don't need to change. That's mostly a combination of not having to dress up for work and having a belt drive that doesn't get grease all over my pants.

mtbr member
    I got a really nice waterproof messenger bag from another forum user in a trade, use that to shuttle about 7 changes of clothes back and forth. Sometimes by bike, sometimes by car. When I run out I put the dirty clothes in it and take it home for a refill. If I didn't do this I would undoubtedly forget to bring clothes some days. I have a trunk bag too but it is full of an absurd amount of tools and rain gear, and I like to keep the zip-out panniers free for stopping at the grocery store if I need to. I have a shower available at work but did similar when I was working in the city and did not have a shower. I also keep deodorant and an old pair of shoes at work for days I ride a bike with clipless pedals.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I pack it all in day by day and take it home the same way. No shower available but there is a bathroom at least to get cleaned up. Deodorant, body spray and cologne are all necessities found in my bag as well. I will not stink at work. I leave shoes at work and luckily my clothes don't take up much room after being tightly rolled. I only wear scrubs at work which is a small blessing I guess. If I had a shirt and tie job I am not sure what I would do.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I leave what i need at work......

almost never carry anything except purchases.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I leave my pants in my office and get 2 or 3 wears out of them before bringing them home to swap out, on the assumption that as a dude my pants really aren't a thing that anybody pays attention to or even looks directly at. I leave shoes at work all week and bring them home on the weekends when the weather's nice and I might want to wear them at home. Other than that, pack in/pack out.

Bedwards Of The West
    I was all about leaving a week or two supply of clothes at work in my last job (tons of room). I'd just carry t-shirt/underwear. Now I'm pretty cramped with space, so I carry clothes for each day. I don't like doing it this way. I still leave shoes stashed under my desk though, so I can wear the SPD's.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

guy
    I pack everything everyday and have a dress shirt/dress pant type office job. Shirt and pants get rolled up and are fine for the commute. Undergarments get rolled up and stuffed inside my dress shoes and packed in/out. I pack my towel every day and air it out at home to dry overnight because my locker at work doesn't have vents.

mtbr member
    I have an easy 15-20 minute flat commute. I typically wear jeans and a casual button up and don't change

On a side note, I used to live in Flagstaff. It's hilly and the wind blows often and man does it blow sometimes. So expect to put in some effort sometimes against headwinds.

And eat at MartAnne's often. It's the most amazing place in the world.

mtbr Decade+
    I work in a steel mill and have uniforms provided. As an added bonus, we have awesome showers, that is, they are about the size of a classroom with only 6 shower heads. When I commute to work I'll often shower on arrival and after my shift, just because I can. Also, are lockers have air flow through them, they sit over air ducts, so clothes gets dry throughout my 12 hour shifts.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I pack shorts if Im wearing riding pants due to being cold in the morning. Keeping my steel toe boots at work cause there heavy and a ***** to ride with. So depending on weather I do along with spare tube, chain link,tools and a lunch. Also have some good hills and sometimes I get a little sweaty. But I have a driving job so having to shower is not needed till I get home!

Moderator Moderator
    None of the above. I pack fresh socks and undies, and only tote a shirt, pants or shorts if my office stash is getting stale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My commute to campus is short, so I can get away without changing unless the weather is extremely hot or wet. On those days, I pack in a fresh shirt and pants/ shorts.

My commute to work is 15 miles or so each way, and takes a little more planning. I work on a teaching farm, mostly in construction and maintenance, so unless I am teaching a class, or have visiting dignitaries, no one cares how I smell or look. I keep two complete changes of clothes, spare boots, hoody etc stowed amidst my tools just in case (the farm often provides more aromatic additions to my wardrobe than I do). When I drive, I swap out the dirtiest clothes.

I also keep a work jacket and a down vest at work, I usually don't need much more than a wind shirt over a sweater for the ride, and need much more clothing on the job site.

weirdo
    Another "None of the above". I change into a uniform that a laundry company delivers. Sure wish I had Biggie`s forced air ventilated lockers, but I`m glad for the laundry service anyway.
    Recalculating....

jrm
    mtbr member
    Vote often..1 and 3. Depends on what im riding into work

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I pack clothes to and from daily, shower and change at work. I keep a pair of shoes under my desk if I don't feel like wearing my (comfy) cycling shoes or Keen Commuter sandals.

mtbr member
    For me, clothing depends on the season (duh...) In general, I try to change as little as possible. So if the weather is above freezing level I usually wear normal jeans and add kneewarmers and/or shoecovers if necessary. Only if that is not good enough I wear padded winterhoses, quite cheap ones from craghoppers. Does not happen too often, though since the climate is quite mild here in north Germany. I definitely do not wear my office shirt, depending on the weather usually a Merino longsleeve, a fleece if necessary and a soft- or hardshell. All depending on the forecasted weather for that day.

At work there are showers available in other buildings but I do not use them. There are a few toilets for disabled people in my office building, they are roomy and clean, since they are cleaned everyday but only used by cyclists, to wash and change

All clothing I need I wear in my bag everyday, I never leave anything at work. The bag is big enough to fit everything in it, including the clunky Abus lock. In winter, when I put my jeans also in the bag, it is getting quite full, though....

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I don't change. I have a 15 minute ride.

I do live in Austin; it gets hot 'n' here. When it is, I bike in my undershirt (I like to wear techwear shirts as undershirts which helps). I cool off in my office briefly and put on my dress shirt. I bike in jeans and casual leather shoes every day.

I also bike in a construction vest. A must wear!!! It also keeps me from walking into the office in just my undershirt.

enjoying the scenery
    I wear "Bicycle specific clothing" to ride, shoes are kept at work, clothing and lunch I carry. I have a room to put my bike and gear, which is mildly heated and my bike clothes are dry for the ride home. I use a combo of public transit and bike to get to work - saves a little time in the am and keeps me from getting to sweaty, then I ride home after work.
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2008 Specialized Epic Marathon

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I commute in bike gear to and from work. I carry clean clothing and sneakers to change into once I am at work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    We have a small shower / locker room on our floor for the guys in our office.
    I tend to leave toiletries (deodorant / shower gel etc) there.

I commute in lycra
    I usually carry a pack with clean socks / shirt etc every day but get a couple days out of my trousers / towel. My office shoes are ones that I don't really care about so they live at work.

The worst days are the days when I need to take my lap top home from work with me. It's bloody heavy...

mtbr member
    ^ Things are better now. Look up the old Compac Portables! If your laptop is "bloody heavy" one of these:

Name:  compaqI.JPG
Views: 242
Size:  26.7 KB

(only 28 pounds) is an anchor!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I used to not have to change when I lived in SF. Nowadays, I just pack my work clothes daily and leave a pair of work shoes at work. There is a shower here, but that would take too long. May come in handy during the summer heat though. Right now, it is still cold enough in the mornings that despite arriving sweaty, I am not smelly. That may change as things heat up and I will have to leave home 15 minutes earlier.

mtbr member
    How about half 1 and half 2?

My commute is about 12 miles each way, and mornings can be pretty warm in the summer months. I work in a professional office where dress shirt/pants/shoes is the norm. I sweat a bit and like to treat my commute as my workout, so I'm usually in need of a shower, at least if the temps are above 50* or so. My building does not have a shower facility. I do have my own enclosed office space, fortunately.

So ... I bring pressed shirts in once every week or so and hang them in my office (circumstances usually have me driving to the office at least once a week). I leave shoes/belt at the office. I pack under clothing and wrinkle free slacks in my pack w/ shower stuff. I ride to the gym that is 1/2 mile up the road from my office. I usually get a quick weights workout in, shower, change into slacks and a t-shirt, coast down to my office and finish getting dressed. Kinda goofy, but it works for me.

In the winter, I can regulate my body temps enough to avoid sweating too much, so I just shower before leaving and ride straight to the office where I get dressed.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I change at work. I'm lucky that we have a shower, locker room, and a uniform (so no one can really tell I wear the same uniform a few days in a row). I do try to look semi-normal on my bike and not be in super biker gear.

mtbr member
    17 miles each way. fortunately I have plenty of storage space. Generally keep several pairs of shoes and probably 3 weeks of dress shirts and slacks at the office. When I drive, shirts get replenished and I bring a few days worth of other clothing. Otherwise I bring under garments, food, etc in a backpack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^ Things are better now. Look up the old Compac Portables! If your laptop is "bloody heavy" one of these:

Name:  compaqI.JPG
Views: 242
Size:  26.7 KB

(only 28 pounds) is an anchor!
    ...Thats... pretty much what I use at work.

In all seriousness, though - I have an HP Elitebook 8740 and it weighs in the region of 7 lbs. Thats like just over 3 Kg (more than heavy enough, trust me )

On a related topic - my work is actually really relaxed and supportive of us cycling into the office - I'm actually writing this while sitting in my cycling gear now

mtbr member
    ^ I once took an unused HP laser printer 3 miles on the back rack of the errand bike in the winter (studded tires and about 2-3" of icing sugar snow). Maybe 20 pounds? That was an interesting ride. Seven pounds is close to the weight of my ghetto panniers on the errand bike. Heck, I have dropped 70 pounds! talk about road hugging weight! Grocery and farmer's market runs with loads of 50-70 pounds. I've brought home a frozen turkey twice the weight of that lap top, plus the rest of Thanksgiving dinner. Our hills here are more shallow valley descents so that might be part of it and I was no speed demon on the way home.

Nice they have accepted cycling at your work. Wet bicycle shorts are not the healthiest for the nether regions. You might want to consider a changeout.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah, if Im soaked or sweaty I go shower and change pronto. If im dry then I'll check my mail whilst I cool off. There is nothing in this world worse than showering right after a ride only to start sweating again right away. Well, to me at least.

Btw, the lap top is not alone in my pack. I take the mouse, the power chord etc... Plus usually clothes and paperwork too. Thats got to be good for a couple extra kilos/man points?

Hell, my bike only weighs 9.5kg...

Oh - and I just checked those weights (lbs mean nothing to me - sorry).

70lbs is like 30kgs or so. Bloody impressive

Rod
    mtbr member
    I'm lucky enough to live a mile from work so I roll up my right pant leg and pedal on over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk