Claris to 105- Mtbr.com

Thread: Claris to 105

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Claris to 105

I have a bike with Shimano Claris group set. I want to upgrade the shifters. I can care less about derailleurs. What are my options?

I've considered changing the set to Mr Ride 2015 Shimano 105 5800 2X11S Shifters Derailleur Group Set 3pc Black | eBay

but i don't know if my bike would take that frond derailleur. I have a Charge Plug performance exclusive. I know i would have to upgrade the cassette. Could i potentially keep the Claris front derailleur and use the 105 2step front shifter? and then just upgrade the rear?

CB of the East
    Is the Claris an 8-speed? If so, you would need a different hub to go to 11 speed so I don't think that will work.

I just upgraded my 3x8 system to 3x10 105 group by changing the shifters and cassette. That works fine. I suspect you can use a triple shifter. You would probably want to set it up to use the higher 2 gears which would mean that it would click down to the smallest chaingring position but nothing would happen because the limit screws would stop it.

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, your hub needs to be 11spd compatible to make the switch on a road bike. Some, like Mavic, have been 11spd compatible for a long time. Others have not.

Members who have read this thread: 0