• 02-12-2012
    TeamAlchemist
    1 Attachment(s)
    City Planners' Bike Lane Improvement
  • 02-12-2012
    Oldfatbaldguy
    I guess its good to laugh at stuff like this. At least then you're not doing something you'll regret later.

I know about recent action in washington to separate bike and pedestrian funding from fed transportation money...the assumed result will be no more bike and ped lanes. I wonder if there's more to it; a couple of local communities have recently amended city ordinances allowing bikes to use sidewalks. As a wee lad I learned that bikes were not allowed on the sidewalks, but should obey traffic laws in the street. I'm wondering aloud if cities are moving in this direction to avoid responsibility if a cyclist is struck while lawfully operating his bike on surface streets because its cheaper to allow them to use the sidewalks than to create bike lanes.

Of course, the immediate reaction locally has been for citizens to scream bloddy murder that pedestrians will no longer be safe on the streets, to which city councils are replying with banning bikes from busy downtown shopping areas. A local newspaper forum has enjoyed a discussion thread with a photo of sign banning bikes in front of a bike shop.

Just can't win for losin'
  • 02-13-2012
    lightjunction
    It's interesting how out of touch some planners can be. Thanks for posting.
  • 02-13-2012
    bigpedaler
    If there is ANYTHING so rude, thoughtless, wrong, and pigheaded that you just CAN'T believe it could be CONSIDERED...some political hack will DO it.

When you believe and remember this, you can only be pleasantly surprised.
  • 02-15-2012
    ConfederateLawyer
    Some of these plans (like separating the funding for bike and pedestrian travel) are actually well-intentioned but just short-sighted. Some pro-bike legislators may believe that separating the funding will ensure that some money is spent specifically for cyclists. But separating the funding consequently separates the actors. So building bike lanes becomes completely distinct from building roads for cars, which means that (a) costs go up, and (b) transportation corridors are not integrated to accommodate both motor vehicles and bicycles.

We'd all be better off if the feds just got the hell out of the equation and let the states plan their own roads. Some states would be better than others. That's just how federalism works. I live in the least populated state in the union, and the weather isn't really ideal for year-round cycling, and yet we have separated bike baths across most of the state and great bike lanes in almost all of our cities.
  • 02-21-2012
    jrm
    Noi that proves that City of Dana Point Planners
    Dont ride bikes. Fail....