• 10-23-2009
    joshed
    Check out my new $276 shipped SS/Fixed road bike!
    I picked this bad boy up NEW from the Bike Nashbar the other day.
    (https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...1_10000_201512)

Here are the stats:

• Frame: 6061 aluminum
    • Handlebars: Black alloy
    • Rims: 700c Alloy aero 32hole double wall machined
    • Spokes: 14 gauge stainless
    • Brakes: Promax front/rear
    • Chainring: 48T
    • Fork: Chromo
    • Stem: Black alloy 110 mm
    • Hubs: Sealed bearing alloy, Flip/Flop rear hub
    • Cog: Fixed gear 16T / 16T freewheel
    • Crankset: Alloy 170mm

Photos:

I got the bike and it was probably 85% complete in the box. I just needed to put on the handlebars, seat/post, front brake, and front wheel.

I was pleasantly surprised that the bike actually came with a freewheel too instead of just the fixed gear. I specifically asked their support people if it did or not and they said it did not. I wanted to ride the bike single speed rather than fixed because I'm not hip to the jive. So SCORE.

I was also pumped to see this bike is logo free (minus the wheels). I like lo-profile things, so thins bike is totally a nice fit for me.

So now to the dirty details on this surprisingly cheap new ride. The bad:

• The brakes - They are a little cheap. Cheap pads, some plastic parts, a little difficult to adjust.
    • The seat - The seat is cheaply made.
    • The brake levers - They are plastic and a little flimsy and seem like they will need to be replaced just for my peace at mind.

Besides those things this bike seems pretty damn solid. Since I got hit by a car the day before the bike got to me, I haven't been able to ride it yet to really give it a complete review, but I will totally as soon as my knee is good enough to ride.

This is going to be my new commuter bike for work. Its about 1.3 miles each way and I usually ride home for lunch. SO total I usually do about 26 miles a week. MY main goal is to have a SUPER low maintenance commuter bike that was cheap and would not ruin my year if it got stolen (since this area is super crazy with bike theft).

Mission accomplished.

Thoughts? Suggestions for upgrades? Lets hear it.
  • 10-23-2009
    Sizzler
    My first thought was "why would you get rid of your surly for a bike of lesser quality" but after reading about how you have to leave your bike out for the thieves, the new bike makes a lot more sense. I recommend some inexpensive tektro aero levers to replace the plastic ones you have, I think a set is 24$. Let us know how it rides once your recovered!
  • 10-23-2009
    joshed
    heh yeah. Freaking thieves. I actually VERY rarely leave my bike locked up outside, usually only for quick store/beer runs or weekend rides with my lady.

Depending on how the insurance stuff works out, I may be getting a new Surly to replace the one I that was hit. We will see.

But yeah, I needed something cheap and simple. I think I nailed it.

Thanks for the advice on the levers!
  • 10-24-2009
    roc865
    looks like a sweet ride to me for the money. let me know how it rides and can i get one of those in a single gear??
  • 10-24-2009
    joshed
    It comes with a flip flop rear hub.

I am running single speed and not fixed.
  • 10-24-2009
    Flystagg
    Would you describe it as light? Is that a qull stem, thats weird?

looks hip though
  • 10-25-2009
    rodar y rodar
    Cool. It does look like a hell of a buy- love those shiny black crankarms.
  • 10-25-2009
    Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    That is a nice bike. It's all "murdered out," as the kids say. I do love both the all black scheme and the simplicity.
  • 10-25-2009
    umarth
    Looks nice. Hope you love it.
  • 10-26-2009
    joshed
    Thanks guys.

I would say the bike is probably average. I would not call it super light or anything. I haven't gotten a chance to put it on a scale yet, but its advertised at 22lbs complete.

I am digging the murdered out look too. I like my stuff to be low key. =]

I will totally do a ride report as soon as I can ride again.
  • 10-26-2009
    nuck_chorris
    that one is cool and all but they also make a kick ass single speed 29er
  • 11-12-2009
    joshed
    Just got to pedal the bike for the first time since I got it. So far so good. It feels like things just need to get broken in a little bit.

Actual first ride report coming soon. I think I might get to take it around the block this weekend.

I am still in a knee brace, but really just needed to get on it.