Cheap yet light rigid steel fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cheap yet light rigid steel fork?

Evening all

I have a 2009 GT Avalanche that im using more and more for on road lately. Ive put some slicks on etc, but im trying to lose a little weight now as its a chunky frame to start with, plus its got some heavy old RockShox Judy forks up front too

Im thinking about a rigid fork and am leaning toward steel rather than carbon, as the roads here are rubbish, plus i do have it up and down kerbs and the odd mild offroad path sometimes

Any ideas on a cheap(ish) but good steel fork that will save me some weight? Its got to be disc only, apart from that im easy. any ideas?

reckon itll save me much weight compared to the RockShox Judy? Not weighed the Judys myself but ive read online they weigh 4.68 lb (or 2.06 kg)

Cheers
    Paul
    UK MTBer

mtbr member
    Think i may have answered my own Q regarding the weight, just seen the Salsa Cromoto, looks ideal and is about half the weight, ha ha.

but opinions and info still needed, thanks!
    UK MTBer

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I ride a GT Karakoram on the roads, added skinny tires and a steel rigid fork, cause the OEM fork weighed 6 pounds and worked like mush. Adding the steel fork made the bike sit better and roll smoother, no problems, just ride!

Did I catch a niner+?
    Salsa Cycles | Components
    It is hard to beat the cromoto on weight/price. I hear from a lot of guys it's one of the best at it's price. I use a Grande Maxle most of the time and also have an enabler fork for the rest of the time.

Salsa Cycles | Components
    I do not know the A to C on the current GT's fork but if I could get this fork on a commuter I would the mounts would be a real treat in the future to use. I suppose you could also use a Vaya fork as it should easily fit a skinn 26er tire no prob.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member

jrm
    mtbr member

Kona Project II, Nashbar

and Soul cycles.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. I think the Cromoto is tipping the scales at the moment, good price, a disc only option and availability in UK is pretty good. Id be tempted to try the Dimension probably if i was in US, but unfortunately i cannot find anyone doing them in the UK and while it is a small world nowadays the shipping and risk of import duties rule it out
    UK MTBer

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The Kona Project 2 is a nice fork if you have a Kona dealer near you. Of course, there is also the Surly Troll fork. It has canti studs standard, but they can be ground off, or you can pull the pivots out. The surly fork allows rack/fender/discs all at once, which is hard to find on many forks.

Members who have read this thread: 0