Changing Jobs :leaving my glorious commute:- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Changing Jobs :leaving my glorious commute:

I was offered a new job last week, which I accepted this week. Pay and quality of life are better in general and it was just time to move on. I know people get sentimental about certain employees or lunch spots they will miss... Eh. I'll get over it. But the one thing that seriously almost had me reconsider this offer was leaving a pretty glorious 8 mile commute. I live in a city, and 85% of this commute was through parks, gravel roads, and pond paths. A truly joyous way to spend my morning/afternoon.
    I mapped out the new route several ways and its 18 miles through some really hilly suburban towns with no bike lanes and unaware drivers. The final hill to the office is about a 2 mile incline. There is no shower at the new office, and start time is 7:00 am.
    I know this can be done with some dedication, but in reality something tells me I will not enjoy it as much as my current situation and this will actually feel like work.
    Someone please talk me off the ledge

Fat-tired Roadie
    What ledge? You already accepted the new job.

Bike commuting doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. You're used to commuting 80 miles/week. (I hate you! &#128521 Bumping up to 180 miles/week would be a Bad Idea.

What if you rode in on your bike twice a week? If that's going well, add Wednesdays. Maybe that's as far as you go if you find it useful to drive on Mondays and Fridays and leave clothes at the office. Or maybe you can ride your bike bike four days a week, or maybe ultimately you decide you'd rather use a pannier and almost never need to drive.

But for now, just try to do it twice.

If you hate it, all life is compromise. I haven't been able to commute by bike in three years. I miss it, but I go running or riding during lunch three times most weeks. Other people get their midweek fix after work.

You're going to have to do some experimentation is all.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Some have done a partial drive/partial ride. We had one who had his car reported as it was an unusual parking spot on a dead end road. For that matter, since you are driving anyway, maybe you can ride in from another point on the compass with better riding safety/scenery?

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    I have the perfect solution. Retirement.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

mtbr member
    I can commute to work but it's only 15 feet. So on a good week if the weather holds I get in about 120 feet of riding. One direction is all climbing though so it sucks.

Most days instead of riding I just jog to work.

By the way...my commute is from my door to my cruiser and once in the cruiser I'm at work.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Cant you move to another place that is closer and offers a better route if its that important?

Otherwise I would also look for a hybrid bus/car + bike route? Did you look into that possibility? You might even consider a folding bike to ride the best bits and take a bus or subway for the rest.

For the rest, it seems.you have made up your mind already. If nothing is possible, you'll have to accept it. On the other hand, nothing is impossible if you want it. So I would just sit down and list the options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    can you get a ride to work? and ride home only. 18 miles home would be about perfect!!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^That sounds like a great idea, especially with the early start time. My ride is perhaps the least scenic and more trafficked 8 miles of VT roads, but I still enjoy it, although I do miss my dream commute I had for while of 6 miles by trail or 8 by quiet scenic roads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I guess I'll give it a go one day and see how miserable it is. Maybe I'll chalk it up to an upgrade in my commute. I now average 15ish mph on my CX bike so if i can keep this pace and come in at just over an hour I'm okay with that. Good news is I will be leaving my house at 5:45am so traffic will be on the light side.

Class Clown
    guess it depends on what you're up for, that is too much me though. really the big issue is showing up covered in sweat. I get pretty drenched on my breezy 6 mile commute. e-bike could be a good idea.

turtles make me hot
    I've been at my current job for 13 years and started bike commuting only about three years ago. It's isn't a fantastic commute but it beats driving and riding the NYC subway. I ride a Dahon folder about 1/2 mile from my house to the Long Island Railroad. I fold the bike up and ride the train to Penn Station in Manhattan. I unfold and ride from 33rd st to 58th st. Same thing home in reverse, obviously. It's short but it's something.
    Anyway, my company is building a new building and moving about two blocks west of Penn Station in three years. At that point there's almost no reason to bother with the bike. I might as well get a cheap POS bike to go from my house to the station and lock it up there. I guess it would be kind of fun to see if I could build a bike that I could actually ride and be left alone by thieves/ vandals.
    I like turtles

psycho cyclo addict
    +1 for commute a couple of times / week.

I am < 3 miles from my office and make a 10+ mile loop out of it 3-4 days a week- also along bike & pond paths, some dirt and a bit of road.

Really makes my day when I bike commute.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    And here is the glory I am leaving behind............
    Changing Jobs :leaving my glorious commute:-img_3861new.jpg