Change of clothes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Change of clothes?

I would like to commute more to work as I have only done this on bike to work day. The problem is there are no lockers or showers at my work. I can be kind of sweaty and brought a change of clothes with me. Any one else have this problem or any tips?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just hang everything in my office....pile the bike stuff on top of the bike.

Bedwards Of The West
    I brought in a cabinet... took the shelves out and hung a shower-curtain rod inside so I can hang a few shirts in there... I keep work pants/shirts/shoes in the cabinet and trade them out once a week or so when I'm in the area with the car.

I transport socks/underwear/undershirt in the backpack, and keep the riding clothes in the cabinet during the day.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    We have locker rooms, but if the shower gestapo is in residence (cleaning crew- "Hey! I am cleaning in there (still vacuuming in hall) you can't go in! No! I do not know when I will be done") I will use a single seater bathroom and a washcloth or dunk my hair if that day's helmet induced style does not appeal.

For the clothes I do similar to the above, minimizing what I carry in - leave shoes at work too. We have not been allowed to use the lockers in the locker room since 9-11.

Congrats on your bike-to-work day!

rob
    slakDawg
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    I will use a single seater bathroom and a washcloth or dunk my hair if that day's helmet induced style does not appeal.
    You dunk your hair in the toilet?

Fortunately, I have a YMCA in the building where I lock my bike. It's just one building over from the one I work in. I pack a complete set of clothes minus shoes, that I keep at my desk. So after the shower and dress, I've got to walk to work in my SPDs. Click-clack, click-clack. I have a small coat closet built into the file cabinet at work, I hang my bike clothes in there to dry.

I recently discovered that the building I work in has a small locker/shower room in the basement. I've not used it yet, but I'm thinking about it.

I got nothin'
    I am lucky, our office has our own shower and changing room.

The company I use to work for had nothing available. I would carry clothes in and out daily in panniers along with lunch and daily tools. I bought the 3M brand stick-up hooks to hang clothes on the back of the bathroom door and put more on the back of my office door to hang my clothes. I also stashed deodarant and baby powder in my desk drawer for freshing up in the morning with the change of clothes. I also try not to push too hard on the way to work to reduce the amount of sweat .
    I ride at ludicrous speed

fux
    Scooterist
    Showers and chainging rooms here.

I wouldnt commute without, too many hills.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

I'm SUCH a square....
    If facilities are minimal, you can use a handicap stall in the restroom to change, use baby wipes to hit "hot zones", and apply/re-apply deodorant. Hang sweaty clothes on or near the bike, if possible.

My bike is parked about 10-15 feet away from me, in a little-used corner of the stockroom. Since, in my job, I'm kinda EXPECTED to get sweaty, it's not a big deal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for all the input. I have a few hills on the way. Most likely only commute 1 or 2 days a week. Wife works 3 nights and have 2 kids that need to be a sports practice after dinner. Baby wipes is a great idea.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Wet wipes are God's gift to bike commuters. And there are several flavors to choose from!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator

I Have Cookies
    Pack in a Shirt Everyday, Re-use the pants all week.... I dont get them too dirty/stinky sitting @ my desk. I have a nice "bathroom" with hooks and a couch that I can hang my jersey and jacket ect.... and a shower to wash if I get to sweaty coming in but that's hardley ever.....
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer

a little late but this is what I do with 6 to 7 miles commute to work and no facilities at work.

I need to be presentable because any day could be client or vendor meeting....

I found a place to get a shower and have a locker for a little less than a gym subscription that is like 5 blocks from work so after the shower I got here pretty fresh.

I'm happy and I can swear I'm doing more exercise than when I actually was paying for a gym subscription.

forgot to mention the clothes!!

I keep at the locker everything necessary to shower....at the office I just leave my shoes...and bike related and office clothes travel with me everyday...every night I prepare the trunk bag for the next day.

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    ^^ Wet wipes are God's gift to bike commuters. And there are several flavors to choose from!

LOL...
    My wife once said "wipes(childrens wipes)are to women, what duct tape is to men". There are some really good uses for both.

Yep, don't leave home without either.

Members who have read this thread: 0