Chaffing - bike shorts recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Chaffing - bike shorts recommendations?

I moved 3 weeks ago to and bought a new bike for the 1 hour commute. (Trek 7.5 FX - great so far!) While I have been enjoying the riding, I have been dreading the chaffing from the ride. I have been wearing normal working clothes. No matter what pants/underwear I wear my groin area gets irritated. What do others do for a long commute. I can change at work so I don't have to wear working clothes.

I assume that bike shorts are meant to help with this problem, right? Can anyone recommend any cycling short brands, or online stores - I know absolutely nothing about this kind of thing.

Craig

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have been researching the same thing. Today, I wore workout clothes and it is much better. However, it sounds like you have a longer commute than I do(6.6 miles round trip). I am also looking into some baggies that have a liner. The Hoss Ponderosa shorts seem to have a good following on this site. I will probably end up trying a pair of those and one or two of their jerseys and ride to work in those and change when I get there. The Ponderosa's have a Coolmax chamois in the liner that supposedly completely eliminates chaffing. I hope that helps.
    '08 Fisher Marlin
    Heavy Rider mod

May 2008

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I wear Novara (REI house brand) "bike boxers". I have 5 pair to get me through a week. They are the bomb for preventing rash, irritation, chaffing, sores, blisters, and pain in general. And, I can wear them under whatever clothing I choose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I wear Novara (REI house brand) "bike boxers". I have 5 pair to get me through a week. They are the bomb for preventing rash, irritation, chaffing, sores, blisters, and pain in general. And, I can wear them under whatever clothing I choose. www.rei.com

Members who have read this thread: 0