Chafed Chapped Cracked- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Chafed Chapped Cracked

What are your favorite treatments or preventatives?

I'm reaching the bottom of the container someone gave me of Dr Herb's Fall Wound Repair, and haven't found it anywhere. It was especially good on those painful fingertip cracks. Tonight I had some cold-chapped places and used some Brave Soldier antiseptic on the worst spots, and Cetaphil cream on the spots that were more dry-itchy. The Brave Soldier has something with a slight numbing quality.

mtbr member
    my mom sells Avon and keeps me supplied with Silicone Glove. it acts exactly how it sounds like it does.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Full-finger gloves. Have been using them since 2010 and haven’t experienced the cracks in my fingertips I used to get when I was commuting with the roadieboy-style open-finger gloves.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Coconut oil and shea butter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    shea or oatmeal butter here. I lotion religiously when it gets real dry here.

weirdo
    Fingertips? I`ve never had chapped, chaffed, cracked anything but lips. Carmex for that, and for some reason only the kind in the jar seems to work. Maybe a different recipe for the stuff they put in the much more convenient tubes?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Fall harvesting of plots was murder on my hands and fingertips. The farmer's remedy can be found at farm supply stores and is called "Bag balm".They sell small human oriented sizes inexpensively.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I got a can of Burt's Bees Salve for Christmas. It has been delightful so far.

CB of the East
    Which ever of the above is readily available. I haven't tried the first 2 that MTBX mentioned but I have tried most of the others. I also make my own out of shea butter, olive oil, rosemary oil & beeswax. In a pinch, nose oil.
    Oil From Your Nose
    If you're unable to apply lip balm to your severely chapped lips, use the oil from the outside of your nose to protect them, suggests dermatologist Joseph Bark, M.D., of Lexington, Ky. With a clean finger, gently rub the side of your nose, and then rub your lips with your finger. The natural oils on the side of your nose will lubricate the lips and protect them from further damage, says Dr. Bark.
    "
    Home Remedies For Extremely Chapped Lips | LIVESTRONG.COM

Those fingertip cracks are the worst.

since 4/10/2009
    My wife gets really chapped hands because of how often she has to wash them at work. I found a product called O'Keeffe's Working Hands that does a great job. Been using it for years.

Moderator Moderator
    My brother-in-law recommended Aquaphor. It is pricier than other creams but it works great for me and goes far. He got the word from a dermatologist.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I like Burt's Bees stuff, but in a pinch I've used Bag Balm & that stuff is as close to a cure-all as it gets IMO.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I use this for my hands. It is weird at first, but it really works well. Bath & Body Works sells their line, or can be found online.

The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I use oatmeal and shea butter, then super glue over the cracks. 1-2 days and it heals up fine. My piano teachers have all had different ways of taking care of them, but that was the most effective. Just throwing a product like nu skin over top is a far third, after super glue and lotion. Doesn't hurt that my first two choices are dirt cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've used the Burt's Bees hand salve and it works pretty good. Generally, my hands don't get too chapped.

However, my face does dry out pretty good - for that, I've found that Pond's Cold Cream is awesome. Work it into the skin, wipe off with warm damp cloth and good to go.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, sesame oil, avocado oil, walnut oil (really any high quality nut or seed oil) all make great moisturizers for cracking and chapping.

Shea butter is a great base for all sorts of skin applications. I use it to make chamois cream, embrocations, and different topical skin treatments. Adding various other oils, like olive or avocado, and essential oils makes a plethora of new products. Buying in bulk and making your own products saves money and reduces packaging waste.

If anyone is interested I can write up a few recipes and material sources for chamios cream, embrocations, and general topical moisturizers.

CB of the East
    Time to bump this thread for cold dry air season. Man my lips are dry!

I changed my lib balm formulation to include grass fed beef tallow mostly because I had some already rendered from our 1/2 cow and it is very nice on the skin. Can't get more natural. I mix it with essential oils and the other oils rogbie mentioned to get the scent & consistency I like. Rosemary is still my favorite. You can get just about anything you want to try here: Bramble Berry® Soap Making Supplies. The fragrance oils are too strong so I stick with the essentials. The smallest bottle will make a lifetime supply of lip balm.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The higher the vitamen E content the better...

Actually had so pure Vitamen E for a while....

Kinda works a little bit like a bandaid, and a little bit like a cream

Penaten Vitamine E cream is good

mtbr member
    OK, OK. I admit it: I only clicked this thread because I thought it said "Chafed Chapped Crack" and was like, WTF.

For the record, I use Vaseline on my lips. Not trendy or particularly eco-chic, but that's what I use when my lips are dried out. I have a hard time keeping my hands moist in winter. I probably could use some better lotion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    I use oatmeal and shea butter, then super glue over the cracks.
    Here I am quoting an ancient post, but I'm going to have to give superglue a shot. I always get these annoying, bleeding cracks on my knuckles that continuously reopen because they're right on the joint, and I'd never thought about superglue.

CB of the East
    I superglued a dog back together a few weeks ago. It worked great for a few days and got her through the rough part. (and saved a trip to the emergency vet to have them stitch and glue it for a $400 bill) My advice, don't chew on the wound if you want it to hold.

The dog seems fine.

mtbr member
    ^ I wanted to superglue my dog a few months ago, but sadly my wife wouldn't allow it. But she can't stop me from using it on myself!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just make sure it sets completely before you start moving around, or it'll just burn.

I'd rather be on my bike
    They make a medical grade super glue so I don't see why regular won't work in a pinch. I used the medical stuff once. Burn? Nah. Felt like someone had dropped 50 tons of napalm on my hand. Had me in tears for a second because it hurt so bad. Worked really well though so I guess it was OK.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Back in my rock climbing days my buddy used to super glue his finger tips when he rubbed all the skin to red raw on high friction granites or sandstones. It was obviously very painful as he used scream and shout during application, but he reckoned it was the best stuff out there for finger repair and allowed him to keep climbing. I never fancied it myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think the skin stuff is called derma bond.

psycho cyclo addict
    Never have issues with dry hands.

I use Blistex medicated on the lips because it lasts a long time.

In gusty winds when it is colder than ~30 F, I wear a scarf and shimmy it up on my nose some of the time (particularly on downhills). I used to wear a balaclava but found it too restrictive during high exertion.

Airspace is your friend for keeping warm and avoiding windburn on the face.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

Members who have read this thread: 0