• 01-04-2010
    LUNARFX
    Cerevellum...mirrors obsolete or not?
    O.k., so since I've been commuting in the last 9 months or so, I've really been looking for alternatives for safety, and I've tried out mirrors on the helmet(got annoyed by them), and the current ones that fold out on my barends, which are cool but would like a different alternative.

Well, I found this new technology and wanted to see your opinions. I see the advantages and disadvantages(or really what may not work), but wanted to see what you all have to comment. (I have rear-view cameras on at all times on both our cars)

http://www.cerevellum.com/

So during the day, I can't see it being nothing but perfect. It's at night is what I'm curious to see, since I do 70% of my riding after dark. For the price you pay, it better be just as effective in the evening as it is during the day. I have a Superflash in the rear, and I wonder with it on and pulsating, how the camera will react. Also, will the screen be backlit to be able to see what's actually behind you? Will the pulsating flashes also pulsate in the monitor? When a vehicle approaches, will it be washed out when a vehicle approaches to where you can't tell, if they're in a lane on either side of you, or even worse right behind you?

For example, in the camera in our cars, whenever your own blinker, or a vehicle behind who's blinker is on, the display almost seems to toggle bright to dim(reacting to the flashes of light). When a vehicle is directly behind me, the screen is nothing but a washout, until the vehicle is passing, but effective in it's illuminiscence when completely dark.

On top of it all, will it be weather resistant, because I ride rain or shine.

What do you guys think since they've been talking about this coming out for years? Would you pay for it for your safety if and when it eventually comes out?
  • 01-05-2010
    Tweezak
    I like my mirror. Cheap, reliable, effective.
  • 01-05-2010
    LUNARFX
    I know right? $10 versus +$300. I don't know how many times the hair's stood on my back when that delivery truck was barreling down behind me while he's changing lanes. No matter how much I can anticipate it, it'd be great just have a nice set of peripherals. Just not sure if the price versus the usability is justifiable quite yet.
  • 01-05-2010
    shimano4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LUNARFX
    I know right? $10 versus +$300. I don't know how many times the hair's stood on my back when that delivery truck was barreling down behind me while he's changing lanes. No matter how much I can anticipate it, it'd be great just have a nice set of peripherals. Just not sure if the price versus the usability is justifiable quite yet.

A mirror will be enough to do that job.