Cat. 6 Road Racing

Printable View

• 07-19-2011
    AndrwSwitch
    Cat. 6 Road Racing
    So for once, I'm doing a day job. I take well-traveled routes to and from work, and it's the not-raining part of the season.

People are so f'ing slow on climbs! It makes me feel like Andy Schleck, except that I also have teammates I ride with, who remind me that I've got a long way to go. There was even a mini-peloton on the first, slightly easier climb on the route. I guess I get some Cat. 6 KOM points today. :p

I'm really not even trying to do the competitive thing. I think it's silly. I just can't stand being behind someone who climbs slowly, even if I'm on a bike that hasn't run out of gears yet.
  • 07-19-2011
    highdelll
    I don't purposefully race on my commute, but I still pass people on my SS. then they gear up and try to ride my tail. errrg!
    Even worse, is when I pass someone, and then I get a red light, and they blow through it and give me some sort of look like I'm the dumbass, and then I only have to catch them again :madman: (then it does make me want to Cat6 their ass because I was rightfully in front)
  • 07-19-2011
    AndrwSwitch
    Oh! Or when you pass someone, stop centered in a lane and not in the crosswalk, and they get in front again?
  • 07-19-2011
    woodway
    In the mornings I climb a nice long hill - about 1.5 miles from bottom to top. It starts off at about 4% grade, but quickly pitches up to 9% and then alternates between 4-6% grades with a couple of 7-8% pitches in between. I ride it almost every day and I've learned just to take it steady and not burn out before the top.

Every summer, like clockwork, the cat 6's come out and I get to watch them flame out halfway up the hill. There is a traffic light at the bottom, and quite a few bikes can queue up there. The light turns green and I may get passed by multiple bikes. It's a rare cyclist who is still in front of my by the time I hit the top of the hill. It's perversely fun saying "on your left" over and over again as I reel them all in, just grinding along.
  • 07-19-2011
    Leopold Porkstacker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    I don't purposefully race on my commute, but I still pass people on my SS. then they gear up and try to ride my tail. errrg!
    Even worse, is when I pass someone, and then I get a red light, and they blow through it and give me some sort of look like I'm the dumbass, and then I only have to catch them again :madman: (then it does make me want to Cat6 their ass because I was rightfully in front)

Been there, done that so many times. Isnít it entertaining as hell??? I love schooling schlocktards from light to light (as well up hills), especially on my heavy bikes.
  • 07-19-2011
    highdelll
    ^^^ even better is passin SUVtards!
  • 07-20-2011
    ranier
    It seems most of the other Cat 6 racers are doing the opposite commute. There is one guy who I pass if I wake up late though. Maybe I should wake up late every day so I can earn more KOM points, LOL!
  • 07-20-2011
    rodar y rodar
    I can`t remember ever having passed or been passed by another bicycle on my commute. Once in a blue moon I go by somebody headed the other direction. Some of my road rides are on more heavilly biked routes, but still not enough riders for any passingfest one way or the other.
  • 07-20-2011
    jeffscott
    Most returning commutes there are races down the MUTs and up the hills...lots of fun..

Geez even some of the going commutes.
  • 07-20-2011
    nachomc
    I had a guy cat 6 me a couple weeks ago. Maybe it was cat 7, dunno. I was cruising down the bike trail heading home, on my big steel bike with downtube shifters, the panniers mounted, etc. Going 17-ish mph. I motor passed him and about 15 seconds later he blows by me in a full standing sprint and takes off. If he had been in a Honda Civic he would have hit the hazard lights. So I keep my pace and catch him again just a bit later. I pass him. Again about 30 seconds later, full sprint away from me.

What a tool.
  • 07-20-2011
    Carbon_NiHM
    ^ I love the Honda civic comment!

Hell, only because I own one and retired it for the summer so I can commute. Haha.
  • 07-20-2011
    newfangled
    When I'm on the singlespeed I'm forced to be a bit of a Cat6er/Silly Commuter Racer. If there's a hill then I'm going to mash up it, but then on the flats I'm stuck spinning. I'm sure that a few people have thought I was being a tool as I huffed-and-puffed past them and their granny gear. It's either that or walk, though.
  • 07-20-2011
    AndrwSwitch
    I think anyone who's ridden singlespeed knows what you're doing, and why.

If they haven't, they think you're a tool for riding singlespeed in the first place. ;)
  • 07-20-2011
    newfangled
    Unfortunately my driveside is always hidden by a pannier. What's the point of me being so hardcore if people can't even tell I'm ss? :p
  • 07-20-2011
    woodway
    Sometimes guys who do full sprints, slow down and then sprint again are not cat6'ing you, they are doing training intervals.
  • 07-21-2011
    jrm
    Im slow on climbs as well
    when im being passed by the Cal cycling team guys along the 8 mile climb on my "long way home" commute route. Dropping the fixie hipsters after they fly pass you is fun.