Casual cycling shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Casual cycling shoes?

Hey all,
    Im doing some regular commuting and general getting around town with clipless pedals and Im sick of having to change out of my cycling shoes whenever I take a prolonged stop or go to work. Does anyone know of any good sneaker looking shoes that you can screw cleats into? I know Chrome makes a pair but they are almost sickeningly trendy. Something similar to those would be awesome.
    Thanks!

Bedwards Of The West
    I want some of those Keen sandals that are SPD compatible. I love my Keens, but I bought them before they had the SPD ones. Not really a 'shoe' I guess, but they are casual!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    There is a company called DZR that makes some casual ones that looks great and are reasonably priced.
    "Most people dislike vanity in others, whatever share they have of it themselves." - Benjamin Franklin

Fat-tired Roadie
    Shimano makes some pretty conservative ones. A friend of mine has a pair Specialized made for the purpose. They're a little goofy-looking, to my eye. 5.10 makes some, I think - I saw a guy in them yesterday. I thought they were ugly. So, the Shimanos are my favorite pair that I know of. I also have some SPD sandals around somewhere, which are awesome if you live somewhere that gets hot and sticky.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek. Totally comfortable for on-bike or off-bike expeditions. I love mine. Available at many places, including REI.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Keen also makes a SPD compatible casual shoe:

KEEN Footwear - Mobile

psycho cyclo addict
    The Keens are heavy... my fav's are Lake I/O SDL's which are discontinued but still available. Sizing is similar to Sidi Dominator 5's in my experience.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.155546,-79.167219
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

mtbr member
    Forgive me for this, but why would you want to clip in for commuting? I just rock some vans and plat form pedals. To each his (or her) own I guess.

Anyway, I like the Keen's Woodway has posted. That's my vote. Pretty classy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut Spaghetti View Post
    Forgive me for this, but why would you want to clip in for commuting? I just rock some vans and plat form pedals. To each his (or her) own I guess.
    Because clipless is awesome and the benefits still apply to commuting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Keen spd sandals are much narrower than normal Keens. I love my Keen Newports and was disappointed when the Keen Commuters didnt fit.

I have Pearl Izumi X-Alp Lows which are great for general use and they look pretty casual.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

Fat-tired Roadie
    Lately, I'm working somewhere where I can keep my bike inside, and feel comfortable about riding in on something expensive. So I've been riding my racing bike most days. It may only be an hour a day of riding, but the bike's more fun, the ride's long enough that I get sweaty and need to change my shirt, so why not?

When I was in college, I always wore casual clipless shoes. One of the old Shimano models. I lived and studied in a wooded campus, and popped out onto singletrack on the way to class a lot.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I've been rocking a pair of Chrome Midway Pros (bought through Zappos for the free shipping). Not using them clipped in, my pinned platforms stick well enough to the shoes. Stiffer sole than my old Chrome Kursks... really notice it on acceleration.

mtbr member
    I have Pearl Izumi X Alp Seek IV's comfortable, stiff enough on the bike (let's not kid, they are nowhere near my diadora road shoes but that isn't the point right).

My only complaint (pretty minor) is that with the amount of tread, it takes a bit of getting used to making sure you are on the cleat, not just the sneaker tread...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut Spaghetti View Post
    I could see using platforms for a 2-3 mile flat commute at a very casual pace, but anything longer or with any elevation and I like me my clipless

I have a pair of the Keen sandals and a pair of the Austins. Both are nice options IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I got some Shimano MT-22s for cheap from REI Outlet a couple weeks ago, and like them a lot. Got them to replace my old dying MT-60s. They're the same sole as the M086 mtb shoe but with an upper that wouldn't look out of place in an office.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    I like my Shimano MT-31s. They don't look particularly like bike shoes, and are pretty comfy to wear off the bike. Not super expensive either.

One Colorful Rider
    https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...2_10000_202525

Nashbar $19.99-34.99

Sorry Did Not realize Pic would be Humongous

Which way? Uphill.
    I've got a set of the Keen Commuter Sandals for summer, really comfy and great for walking around.

I would totally try the Keen Austin Pedal shoes out based on how good the sandals have been.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Normbilt, those shoes are pretty much EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you!!

EDIT -
    Looks like they stopped making them and the only ones left are super small.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Clipless Bike Shoes by DZR, Quoc Pham, and Mission Workshop || Mission Workshop

Mission Workshop sells a good selection of clipless compatible casual shoes. A bit on the expensive end, but also high on the quality end.

Moderator Moderator
    Some other Keens on sale Keen Springwater Cycling Shoes (For Men) - Save 30%

Haven't tried their cycling shoes but love my Keen winter sneaker-boot thingys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek. Totally comfortable for on-bike or off-bike expeditions. I love mine. Available at many places, including REI.
    I second this - the Pearls are extremely comfortable and durable and are very easy to walk in. For winter or rain you can just cover 'em up...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I want some of those Keen sandals that are SPD compatible. I love my Keens, but I bought them before they had the SPD ones. Not really a 'shoe' I guess, but they are casual!
    I know this is an oldish post, but I'll give my $0.02 anyway. I have 3 pairs of Keen shoes and love them (wearing my Targhees right now!). I tried on a pair of their mountain biking shoes, they fit totally different than their non-bike shoes. I also read a lot of reviews of their SPD sandals and people said the same thing, they were nice but the fit was totally different. I think I saw those reviews on bonktown/departmentofgoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanselus View Post
    I second this - the Pearls are extremely comfortable and durable and are very easy to walk in. For winter or rain you can just cover 'em up...
    I also have a pair of the X-Alp Seeks, the 2009 ones that are grey and orange, and love them. I just switched from a combo of SPD and Crank Bros on my bike to all SPD, so now that I can use any of my shoes on any of my bikes, I'll be using those to commute with instead of my more bike-ish shoes.
    Last edited by Straz85; 10-27-2011 at 08:15 AM.