Be careful out there.................X-post- Mtbr.com
    Ska
    Steel is real.

Be careful out there.................X-post

Just sending a message to all those who ride to/from work or on the road for whatever reason. This happened a couple of weeks ago but figured I’d share while I had a minute.

I’ve always ridden defensively while out on the asphalt and have always had my eye on everyone around me but despite this, I got schmucked the other day.

Before I go any further, aside from a nasty bruise on my inner thigh (from the saddle) and a scraped elbow, I was fine. My rear wheel however is an entirely different mater. The officer at the time asked, with a chuckle, “does the horseshoe cause you any pain when you sit on your bike?”. Still in a fog, I just looked at him with absolutely no clue as to what the hell he was talking about. Figured it out much later when things calmed down. He was right. I was very lucky.

Here’s the short(ish) story: Slight wind at my back headed home from work. Going at a fairly good cruising speed taking full advantage of the flat road and said slight wind. As I approach a corner (which has no stop signs in my direction) I am fully aware of the girl waiting for me at her stop sign (to the left). She’s looking right at me and I believe she’s watching me approach. I am slowing slightly to make the left hand turn in front of her car where she would then be clear to go through. Straightforward stuff right? Wrong.

Just as I lean in to make the left hand turn she pulls out. Instinctively I pull my left knee in violently which not only straightens my turn but also pops my foot out of the pedal (neither was desired). My eyes squint shut and my lips tighten. I tense up. I’m in the drops and brace for the worst. She hits (more a bump than anything) my rear wheel which lifts the back end up quite high. The bump spins me 90 degrees and when my rear wheel comes down it bites hard forcing the saddle into my thigh and now my right foot pops out as well. Still upright (but sideways) I feel the rear end sag enormously and hear a simultaneous snap and very loud pop before finally toppling over. I hit the ground and the bike bounces out onto someone’s lawn. Laying curbside (thankfully atop my backpack full of work clothes), I’m shocked and in disbelief. How fast did that go down?? Thankfully I feel ok.

I hear the girl screaming something like “OMG I didn’t see you!!” as she exits the car and I totally ignore her and walk over to my bike. I expect the worst. My fender is toast (I can see that even before I get to it) and my wheel is impossibly out of sorts. I thought for sure my frame was broken or at the very least, bent. Upon further inspection, the wheel had been forced out of the dropouts and the sideways impact had not only bent the rim but actually snapped it. The sharp edges of the rim had also cut right through the sidewall of a brand new tire I had put on the day before. This explained the “snap/pop”. My brake pads are ripped out of alignment and the derailleur hanger is slightly bent as well.

Cops were called, names were taken etc. I was kinda mad as I was sure she was looking at me but she says she didn’t see me. I say B.S. but whatever. Anyway, my frame wasn’t bent (thanks Surly!!)) and she paid for all my broken bits (she’s lucky it was my beater wheelset). I fixed everything else and I’m back to commuting tomorrow.

Moral of the story: take care out there as you just never know what’s waiting at the next corner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    did it crack at the seem?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

weirdo
    Whoa! Dude, that is one MANGLED wheel! I can`t imagine comming through unscathed from that kind of impact- you must be doing something right to have the angels on your side. Glad you`re allright. So, where did you get your horseshoe? I`m gonna get on for each of my bikes... plus one for my wife`s car and one for my pickup!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Man, that is incredible. Glad to hear that you weren't hurt worse. If she hadn't been just taking off from a stop.... well anyway, it's the famous old "I didn't see you" line that we seem to get whether we're on foot, a bike, motorcycle or even another car. I think more often than not, it's a case of "I didn't see you because I wasn't even paying attention."
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

I Have Cookies
    wow! Im glad to hear that you only suffered a few bruses!!! Someone was looking after you!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    I don't get the horseshoe part...

(not that fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    , it's a case of "I didn't see you because I wasn't even paying attention."
    sadly, this will continue to happen until driving becomes a privilege, not a right.

echoing ska's words "be carefull our there"

glad you are okay

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by fastale
    sadly, this will continue to happen until driving becomes a privilege, not a right.
    The funny thing is (in California at least) the DMV handbook clearly states that driving is a privilege, not a right. None the less, it doesn't seem to prevent millions if inept drivers from obtaining and keeping a license. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Slurry
    I don't get the horseshoe part...
    Horseshoes are considered lucky.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Did you signal your intention to turn? She may have misinterpreted your slowing as allowing her to go ahead. That is...if she saw you at all. They teach in motorcycle safety classes that since drivers are trained to look for other cars, they tend to look through anything that doesn't fully block their view. Apparent eye-contact means nothing. I've had it happen to me countless times...they look right at you and proceed as if nothing was there.

It's stories like these that are the reason I commute day and night with my handlebar and helmet lights blazing away (320 and 200 lumens respectively). If people don't squint, then I don't think they've seen me.

Another thing I do when I approach an intersection is to give a little wave to cars that are waiting at the stop. I do this partly to say "thanks for waiting for me" and partly to see if they know I'm there. If they acknowledge me, then there's no doubt I've been noticed.

I'm glad you came through unhurt. I'd still get the frame put in a jig and checked for alignment. Taking a hit hard enough to knock the wheel out of the dropouts seems like it could easily tweak something.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    well there will be a ride of silence today
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Members who have read this thread: 0