Car ran a red light as I was crossing the intersection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Car ran a red light as I was crossing the intersection

I was on my way home and at this big intersection that is usually very busy in the morning, as it is next to a high school, but not so around 6pm I went to press the pedestrian button since there were no cars to trigger the light. Then I went on the street to wait for the green light. When light turned green for me I started to cross the street (wasn't in the crosswalk zone) and mid way across this car ran the red. I slowed down. I didn't know what to think. Had the light been green when I reached the intersection and I did not have to slow down, there might have been an accident. But good thing I started from a stop, so my speed wasn't fast when I was crossing the intersection and I got a chance to look left and right, and good thing I saw the car coming unusually fast toward its RED LIGHT. I don't think I was in immediate danger since I sort of saw it coming and reacted in time. But what if I was mashing it and going really fast and we arrived at a point in the intersection at the same time? I shudder to think. It makes you think, no matter how safe you are, an unattentive driver could do something careless and stupid and possibly hit you. I don't know if the driver was talking or texting on the phone, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was what caused her to run the red. Once I reached the other side I had to look back to see if any cars saw it--I'm like, did you see that? Where is a cop when you need one.

Be safe out there and look at cars when crossing an intersection. Are they slowing down or not?

Moderator Moderator
    Geez, that's scary, glad it was just a close call and that you were paying attention. It definitely pays to ride defensively since it is the cyclist that can really pay for motorists' mistakes.

Glad it was a close call and not a hospital visit. Stay safe out there.

Same thing happened to me, kind of. I was hauling ass down a hill and I had the green at the bottom. As I got to the light a car pulls up into the opposing left turn lane. Didn't even look to see iff there was traffic. She pulled into the intersection and hit me square in the left side. I flew up and hit the windshield with my head, knocked the rearview mirror off with my right hand, slid down the hood and took the front bumper with me. She got out of the car stepped over my now unconscious body and yelled at my friend because I was "in the middle of the street!". I was on the far right obeying traffic and probably doing about 24-28 mph. I'm guessing her speed was around 15-20 mph.

Any closer to the side of the car and my head would have hit the frame and not the windshield, that could have been far more disasterous.

CB of the East
    That's why I treat all cars like they aren't going to stop. But, like you said, if you've got some speed going you're not going to slow down at all the intersections. Glad you're all right - both of you.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    I was on my way home and at this big intersection that is usually very busy in the morning, as it is next to a high school, but not so around 6pm I went to press the pedestrian button since there were no cars to trigger the light. Then I went on the street to wait for the green light. When light turned green for me I started to cross the street (wasn't in the crosswalk zone) and mid way across this car ran the red. I slowed down. I didn't know what to think. Had the light been green when I reached the intersection and I did not have to slow down, there might have been an accident. But good thing I started from a stop, so my speed wasn't fast when I was crossing the intersection and I got a chance to look left and right, and good thing I saw the car coming unusually fast toward its RED LIGHT. I don't think I was in immediate danger since I sort of saw it coming and reacted in time. But what if I was mashing it and going really fast and we arrived at a point in the intersection at the same time? I shudder to think. It makes you think, no matter how safe you are, an unattentive driver could do something careless and stupid and possibly hit you. I don't know if the driver was talking or texting on the phone, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was what caused her to run the red. Once I reached the other side I had to look back to see if any cars saw it--I'm like, did you see that? Where is a cop when you need one.

Be safe out there and look at cars when crossing an intersection. Are they slowing down or not?
    I have several intersections where frustrated drivers often go through on a bright red....

You get used to it, if you pay attention otherwise you are dead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i had a similar experience what made it worse is that it was a saferide vehicle from the college campus that almost hit me... twice.

since 4/10/2009
    An intersection on my preferred commute route "to" the office recently changed from a light to a 4-way stop. Not sure if it's a permanent change or whether the lights will get upgraded, as both cases have happened at other spots around town in recent years. At any rate, it's not a busy intersection usually.

I was approaching the intersection when a vehicle approaching on the cross street blew through it without even slowing down. It was a pickup truck and the driver was looking down at something (phone? radio? couldn't tell). thankfully I was still slowing down for the stopsign when it occurred so it wasn't so much of a "close call" as this one, but still scared the crap out of me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    .... She got out of the car stepped over my now unconscious body and yelled at my friend because I was "in the middle of the street!".
    10 Best smart replies?

10. Sh! He needs his beauty rest!
    9. What do you expect? You're drop dead gorgeous!
    8. He does that sometimes. Like when a driver almost kills him.
    7. Sad! He just did not last as your hood ornament, did he?
    6. He's playing possum so you don't hit him again.
    5. Yeah, he bounced pretty well! I'd score him a 9.5!
    4. Your not supposed to be watching him doing it in the road, according to John Lennon.
    3. Really? Looks a bit left off center to me, let me step it off and see.
    2. He usually rides right on through. Can't imagine why splattering his head on your windshield would prevent that.
    1. Wow! You CAN see him! A-MAZ-ing! Too bad you are a tad bit late with that.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    May 2012
    so many bad drivers out there - some guy opened his door on me, knocked into the road, then tried to have a go at me for damaging his door. I had to be held back by a passer i was fuming!

Members who have read this thread: 0